The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Official: 2Gb Front bumper thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^^^ agreed!

all good info and questions:
I should have taken more pictures along the way , brain fart on my part.
Things i used:
1.142 lord fusor extreme bumper repair

2. mesh tape acutally i used drywall tape, it's the same stuff.(first page discribes the usage)

3. 80 grit sand paper on a orbital DA to cut down the new material.

4. poly flex bumper repair, it's similar to metal glaze but it's designed to be flexible for bumpers,(this was used to further asure the contore in the shave hole was correct.

5. die grinder cut off wheel to cut the opening for th IC bigger.

6. fine line tape to measure out and put the curve back where you want it at the top of the bumper. lay the tape on the bumper with the new curves , make sure it's porportional and then cut it precisely on your tape line with the cut off wheel.

7. an angle grinder with 50 grit disk, this is used to put the oem curve back in the bumper as the cut off wheel cannot, you'll grind it down slowly contoring the new part to the tape line you had laid.

8. 180 grit on a orbital DA, use this to finish out your poly glaze and use it to make sure your new cut out is smooth and free of any jaged edges,, fix any other bad spots on the bumoper and prime,,,reprime after wetsanding if nesicarry, then paint. i used the 3 step (the correct way) single stage on the bumper, as it's a front bumper and will have minor damage done to it as a dd.

some paint faqs i've posted are here at this link.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appearance-interior-exterior/72599-dying-failing-clear-coat-merged-7-8-cote-clearcoat-paint-dead-flaking-peeling-rot-5.html#post152061951

on page 5 of that thread.

Last edited:
I just got a bumper from certifit and it has the small triangle where the mitsu emblem should be, Id like to fill it in so its smooth. should i use that polybond bumper repair stuff or some other type of body filler?

heres a pic
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I just got a bumper from certifit and it has the small triangle where the mitsu emblem should be, Id like to fill it in so its smooth. should i use that polybond bumper repair stuff or some other type of body filler?

heres a pic

My certifit bumper doesnt have the triangle it's just flat and smooth

yea, ive heard of people getting ones with triangles, and ones that are smooth. Unfortunately I got one with the triangle, but Im going to fill it anyways.

it depends ....
do you want to make it where you do it right the first time and never have to worry about it again?

personally i'd feather edge the triangle down untill it's no longer a triangle with jaged edges. < as thats what would mek any filler crack out or not bond properly.

then i'd use some poly flex on it and it would be good to go with no fear of cracking ,, even if a basketball were to hit it.

Last edited:
it depends ....
do you want to make it where you do it right the first time and never have to worry about it again?

personally i'd feather edge the triangle down untill it's no longer a triangle with jaged edges. < as thats what would mek any filler crack out or not bond properly.

then i'd use some polyfill on it and it would be good to go with no fear of cracking ,, even if a basketball were to hit it.

So just sand down the edges of the triangle to make it a smoother blend to the bumper? And where can i get the polyfill stuff?

I'll get the product # when i go to work today.

edit:
made by Evercoat, poly flex, flexible polyester glazing putty. part #100411

Last edited:
What color did you paint the bumper? Code, price? Place you got it? I'm looking to paint my Black GSX.

and you said this stuff is just like the wall tape crap? Could I use that stuff and that Bumper repair stuff.... Cause I don't know where to get this 142 stuff. Also what did you cut out to get a good shape for the fog filler? I have a spare damaged bumper!

^^^

it seems you haven't read through the whole thread.

I am a automotive paint technician for my job, and have been for 8 years,

i did not buy the bumper,,, it's the oem on my car,
I did not cut out anything to fill the foglight hole, i used normal masking tape to tape the front of th bumper to the conture i wanted it,

I then laid my drywall tape in that from the backside, 2 layers,
i then used the LordFusor 142 Extreme Bumper repair and spread it in pushing it through the mesh tape, while at the same time using 7-8 more layers of tape into it similar to laying fiberglass, your just using i different product,

this stuff will go off fairly quickly in 80 degrees or hotter. you then flip the bumper to the front side and remove your masking tape, and sand it down so it can have something to adhere to, if need be to make the round contour even more pronounced, you may use a lil more of 142 on it, if you taped it off correctly a lil bit of poly-flex is all you should need.

you do not cut and splice other bumper pieces into the process because the more edges you have, the more week spots you will actually creat and it will more than likely crack out. this is why you remove the entire foglight assemble and fill the larger hole.

I actually used spies hecker paint made by dupount, it's just their european line.

ohh yeah i haven't used he polyflex with just the tape, i am sure it would make a pretty strong bond, but it has never been taught in any of my I-Car classes, so that tells me it's probly not recomended, although , that does not mean it will not work, if you do it let us know the results.

few up to date photos with the front bumper just sitting up their.

^^^

it seems you haven't read through the whole thread.

I am a automotive paint technician for my job, and have been for 8 years,

i did not buy the bumper,,, it's the oem on my car,
I did not cut out anything to fill the foglight hole, i used normal masking tape to tape the front of th bumper to the conture i wanted it,

I then laid my drywall tape in that from the backside, 2 layers,
i then used the LordFusor 142 Extreme Bumper repair and spread it in pushing it through the mesh tape, while at the same time using 7-8 more layers of tape into it similar to laying fiberglass, your just using i different product,

this stuff will go off fairly quickly in 80 degrees or hotter. you then flip the bumper to the front side and remove your masking tape, and sand it down so it can have something to adhere to, if need be to make the round contour even more pronounced, you may use a lil more of 142 on it, if you taped it off correctly a lil bit of poly-flex is all you should need.

you do not cut and splice other bumper pieces into the process because the more edges you have, the more week spots you will actually creat and it will more than likely crack out. this is why you remove the entire foglight assemble and fill the larger hole.

I actually used spies hecker paint made by dupount, it's just their european line.

ohh yeah i haven't used he polyflex with just the tape, i am sure it would make a pretty strong bond, but it has never been taught in any of my I-Car classes, so that tells me it's probly not recomended, although , that does not mean it will not work, if you do it let us know the results.
It seems you didn't read your own thread. I read the entire thread. And you mentioned about using pieces to bond together. You never once mentioned the paint, the code, where it can be purchased from for a good price, Or this 142 stuff that I still don't have 1 (not one) single clue where to locate it because I've never heard of it. You have given some good information on how you achieved it, Thanks for clearing up one portion but you still haven't answered the other portions. I wanna know the paint. I'm happy you've been a paint tech for a trillion years, but that doesn't really help me with my car. I wanna paint my car! I'm waiting to figure out a good paint to go with. I like the way yours looks so I figure you could tell me easily what I wanna know.

I know of some cheap shit you can buy at VatoZone, its a bumper repair gel looking black rubber. I've used it once where a bumper ripped off of the area it mounts from on the fender. I added the stuff, pushed it together and held it up by Masking tape and took the tape off a day later and boom it was as good as new. Took a razor to the front of it to cut off the extra and it looked fine and never broke again. But this was cheap shit from AutoZone. I'm sure this stuff you speak of is 10x better and thats what I want. The Best!

Other things I'm not understanding, Fine line tape? Is this something I need to look into, Cause if not I'll prob just use masking tape...

I've been planning on doing this since I saw "GSX"s car (that silver GSX) And now I have my chance with the new bumper...

BTW to people arguing about the bumpers, Aftermarket bumpers come with all 3 Designs, Triangle, Diamond and Nothing. I currently have the bumper with the Triangle. The new one I should be getting today, I'm not sure what it has. A friends Talon has nothing there.

1002 and used the three step process with the single stage.

as fine line tape is the same thing you tape flames off with....

ok i may be regreting saying this but seriously..........i have always had a respect that dsm' owners were much more aware of car things, than honda owners are... i am speaking what i think to be a reltively easy manor with relitively common things like fine line tape, lord fusor 142 extreme bumper repair.. etc... i am unsure why their is so much misunderstanding in this thread

:notgood: to everyone walking on egg shells in here....
as for good paint... have you checked out the paint faqs thread i wrote for you and everyone else? i even posted a link. :thumb:

edit: this wasn't originally made to be a how to thread.... it's turned into that and thats ok.. but the lack of me giving out more info was because of that verry thing, I'm going back and trying to compile more together on the first post , so more people will have a better acurate understanding of the process,,, i had assumed alot of people had done similar things and i was curious and wanted to see and here about their setups as well,,
we can still do both =)

Hey I don't do paint or body work. Its all stuff I wanna learn. Plus 80% of DSM'rs don't care about their car's looks, they go for ass whoopin. So I'm sorry if Asking questions in the advance of knowledge is upsetting you somehow. I just wanna learn! Which is why I ask questions.

So I'm sorry.

post up your progress so others can see what i stupidly left out. :thumb:

since it's so shallow and you'll be feathering it out a little anyways, either will work, the polyflex will be much easier to sand without air tools, a hard block and 100 grit will knock the top layer off, then go to a 180 grit paper to finish the sanding, if it tries to carpet up your plastic pumper, use a little 320 to remove the rough texture, and then prime.

So should I use the evercoat polyflex or lord fusor to fill the triangle?

have you completed your shave?

Last edited:
:sounds familiar. I normally tell people when they want me to paint something to let me do the body and prep work, so I know their won't be any future issues.
Most painters don't like going over the top of someone elses work.

Here is one for those money savers out their.

I've been saving this beat up nissan 240sx front lip spoiler for years, knowing one day it would fit on something. I wetsanded and used some spray bomb for now.
Tired and waiting for things to cure on my car, i decided to see if it would work on the gsx. It does indeed work with a little help.

I started the first screw dead in the center. and slowly formed the shape, a little wider than it's normal shape all the way out, adding one 10mm bolt at a time.
The outcome with no other modification is fairly impressive.
I plan on grinding the ends and adding length as they are about a 1/2inch to short, but really not noticable at all.

I may even use bumper repair, like i did shaving my foglights and mold this to the actual bumper for a perminant fix, so it will look factory.

My car sits fairly low, but I haven't liked how the front bumper is fairly pueny on the front bottom. This seems to really beef it up, and may actually help deflect air where i dont want it, and direct it torward the wheels.

A few pics with the install.
this photo should be in a calender or something,

Don't mind the hole in the hood, it's begining of some major reconstruction design.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back