The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Off to a good start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaakob

Probationary Member
May 28, 2022
Augusta, Maine
Hello everyone! My names Jake, hailing from sunny and cold Maine. Managed to scoop myself up a fairly clean 1g gsx last week. Ran well, rust free with some mods (16g w/ supporting mods, 272 cams, evo 8 lifters and 3g springs etc). The plan was to just drive it this summer, basic maintenance, not spend a lot of money on it and assess any issues it had come winter time.

First few days went great, no issues what so ever. Then decided to take it into work the other day and while merging onto the highway it popped a CEL. Previous owner had stated its tuned (by his friend) to throw the CEL for the duration of time that the knock sensors read too much knock. So it looks like I’ll be taking it to a local shop to have the tune looked over and corrected, and fingers crossed its not a sign of impending engine failure. So as the title reads, were off to a great start with the whole “just drive it this summer and not spend a lot of money” plan.

Short back story on me. I come from a long history of Nissan and Toyota ownership. Started drifting back in 2011, and ran with that. As I’ve grown older the urge to go sideways has been replaced with the want to go fast.

That being said this is my first time owning a DSM. Been wanting one for quite a few years but every time I’d find one I’d be too deep into other projects or not have the cash freed up. Finally manged to make the money and no projects thing align and here we are

Long term ~10 year goals (given that I own the car that long) would probably be a street car that can run 9s.

Ill Include some non dsm photos for those interested as well. My old imported Toyota Celsior, Nissan Laurel, Toyota Altezza, and 180sx

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The CEL won't stay on with knock unless it's sustained knock and it will still go back out. I assume the car has ecmlink? If so make sure it's not getting warm as you can trigger the CEL over specific coolant temps. Otherwise it's probably something else unrelated and its not hard to retrieve codes. Very few things on a 1g to throw a CEL so diag should be easy.

Wow great collection! Welcome to the site! Do you still have the other cars too or have you owned one at a time over the years?
Thanks! I typically usually own 1-2 at a time. I just recently sold the White Toyota because it was just taking up garage space and with said garage space, the less projects I have the better, LOL. Im currently just down to my daily driver and the gsx.
The CEL won't stay on with knock unless it's sustained knock and it will still go back out. I assume the car has ecmlink? If so make sure it's not getting warm as you can trigger the CEL over specific coolant temps. Otherwise it's probably something else unrelated and its not hard to retrieve codes. Very few things on a 1g to throw a CEL so diag should be easy.

From what I can tell the car doesn't seem to get hot. Was a colder day when it happened, about 50°F but regardless temps seem to be pretty much always steady. It is on ecmlink, and I need to go pick up some cheap laptop here this weekend and pull it up. Im personally not familiar with tuning and the software in general so I’d prefer to take it to a shop. One question I did have though, does ecmlink do any sort of data logging? Just curious as to whether or not it will pull up codes from the previous days when its connected to a laptop. Hoping its a simple and quick fix!

Thanks! I typically usually own 1-2 at a time. I just recently sold the White Toyota because it was just taking up garage space and with said garage space, the less projects I have the better, LOL. Im currently just down to my daily driver and the gsx.

From what I can tell the car doesn't seem to get hot. Was a colder day when it happened, about 50°F but regardless temps seem to be pretty much always steady. It is on ecmlink, and I need to go pick up some cheap laptop here this weekend and pull it up. Im personally not familiar with tuning and the software in general so I’d prefer to take it to a shop. One question I did have though, does ecmlink do any sort of data logging? Just curious as to whether or not it will pull up codes from the previous days when its connected to a laptop. Hoping its a simple and quick fix!
Yes link does log and I'd definitely recommend getting somewhat familiar with it so you don't need to rely on a shop for simple diagnostics. It's user friendly and taking a log/posting it here will probably get you a much better knowledge base to get information off of.

Yes link does log and I'd definitely recommend getting somewhat familiar with it so you don't need to rely on a shop for simple diagnostics. It's user friendly and taking a log/posting it here will probably get you a much better knowledge base to get information off of.
Awesome! Ill have to go grab a laptop this weekend and start looking through the logs! Thankfully i have a friend whose a big DSM guy and he managed to put me in contact with some really helpful people so we’ll be looking into it this weekend. Thanks for the advice😄

Plenty around here to read and get acquainted with.

You should fill out a vehicle profile > http://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/

Make sure there plenty of pics.

You should also start a build thread with pics and posts about your progress on the car ;) ohh and more pics. https://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/add
I plan on it! I think id like to make a little bit of progress on the car before doing a build thread. Made an agreement with the fiancé i wouldn't spend too much money on it this summer so theres not going to be much build progress this summer LOL

Nahh man start with the crap u hate about the car, stuff ur going to redo or replace. And then in a year or whatever ull look back onnthe cars journey and be glad you included where the car started ya know

Nahh man start with the crap u hate about the car, stuff ur going to redo or replace. And then in a year or whatever ull look back onnthe cars journey and be glad you included where the car started ya know
I like the way you put that. Ill start one this week then!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back