The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

off brand external wastegate recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMFB

Proven Member
Sep 16, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Title pretty much says it all. Hopefully this the right area to post this in. Possibly looking for a 35 or 38mm external wastegate that people have had good luck with that's not a name brand like Tial,Turbosmart,Precision, etc. Not wanting to drop $200 plus on a new wastegate. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
M

I've run an emusa for years without even a single issue. The one based off the old rounded tial versions. I checked all the tolerances and whatnot before I installed it and even though it was no tial it seemed full proof.

Have you thought about picking up a used one In the classifieds? I'm sure you could find a used name brand one for a good price.
Thought about that and I've been keeping my eye out for awhile but they still seem pretty pricey. I've got a turbosmart bov but I don't really want to drop that kinda money for a wastegate. But if I can find a good deal on a used one I'll get it.[DOUBLEPOST=1412627812][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've run an emusa for years without even a single issue. The one based off the old rounded tial versions. I checked all the tolerances and whatnot before I installed it and even though it was no tial it seemed full proof.
I've heard of guys just replacing the spring in those and having real good results after the original spring allowed boost creep.

I've been running the EMUSA 38mm for years. I checked everything out before installing it and used the Tial big and small blue springs. Holds 36psi fine.

Sweet! I'm not going to run anything near that amount of psi. Probably 14 max!

I saw that. I need it to be either black or silver. Preferably black. Its going on a motorcycle and since it will be visible I wasn't everything to match. Picky I know.
M

I have 2 EMUsa's(from years ago, accidentally shipped 2 to me). I would not hesitate to run one. I'm definitely going to atleast give it a go, why not? They're not worth much and they've just been sitting around.

The kit was very cheap from what i remember. I want to say when i bought it 5 or 6 years ago it was under 100 but i could be wrong.
The only thing i would be concerned about is maintaining very low boost with one on a larger frame turbo. Sounds like that wont be the case for you at all since its on a bike. Small turbo, low to mid boost, should work just as good as any Tial for ya.
Now trying to hold back a 3786 or some big boy snail at 14 psi? I think you would need something a bit bigger than 38mm.

Mine was black. Over the years of heat stress it's become more of a shit brown color. Aside from it being aesthetically unattractive it functions very well. I don't use a vacuum line on mine. I just set the springs up and tested till the back pressure was enough to overcome spring pressure at my desired boost. It's basically fullproof.

Dude! That's a great idea. Never thought of that. So let me ask you this. If I put a 10psi spring in is there a reason why it wouldn't always open at 10psi?
M

It wouldn't open at 10. It would likely open at 20ish depending on your cam degreeing/post turbine pressure. On drop in cams it's normally about double spring pressure. All it amounts to is how much pressure you have being applied to the valve in the wastegate. If you have 10 psi of back pressure on a valve with 2 square inches of surface area you'll have to have a 20 psi spring to hold the valve shut.

It's always been consistent to me and in theory it should decrease the duty cycle of the wastegate making it last longer.

So with a 5 pound spring it should open at 10 psi. Interesting. Thanks!

If your going to paint one, I would recommend using a hi temp paint. Will last longer in the engine bay and stand up to the heat better. Best option would be powder coating but it cost more and then theres the wait time but either should look good if done right and hold up fine. Just rememeber if you paint make sure you do the prep work right so it turns out good.

Not going to paint. It'll be silver or black when I buy it. the EMUSA ones seem cheap enough to buy it new in the color i want. But it's an option if I get a good deal on a used one. It's going on my bike not in an engine compartment. I could always powder coat it if needed later. Thanks!

K. I'm still going to run a line to it but it's good to know and it does make sense. \m/

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[DOUBLEPOST=1412724115][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is mine, welded to a tub-mani wrapped with wrap and linked to a vac line, "older pic"[DOUBLEPOST=1412724186][/DOUBLEPOST]had it for 4 yrs now, paint is same since day i got it, keep in mind, its mostly been "under construction"
during said time.[DOUBLEPOST=1412724285][/DOUBLEPOST]10lbs spring, w/ controller set at 17.2 psi

Another option that is popular is the WyntonM seller on Ebay. He is an individual guy that actually got his own design made by one of the foreign companies that copy the TiAL units and they have worked well in the past for lots of users at around the $80 price point. I don't like his new design that is almost like the Greddy shift knob that comes up to a hexagon and is pear shaped vertically but I'm sure they still function well but the bell of the 38mm TiAL is much more attractive. Lots of other newer ones are also on Ebay copying the MVS/MVR style but they are mainly Vband (as well as water cooled, ugh) and it sounds like you want the standard 38mm two bolt flange. Make sure your space requirements and the wastegate dimensions are good, most of these are huge and could be hard to fit right on a bike. The PTE and Turbosmart are both more compact, if you could find a knock off of those it may allow for a cleaner, less obvious install. Are you just going to let it dump, fab a dump tube, or set it up to flow back into your downpipe/exhaust?

Good luck on the project!

Thanks for the great info fullthrottle7! Nice set up miliman13! I haven't decided which route to go yet. Thought about letting dump but obviously not at my leg. Also considering fabbing a pipe to go back into the exhaust. Space will be an issue. I was planning on a v-band so I could rotate it any way necessary. Best case scenario it goes in to exhaust pipe. Hadn't really thought of getting a knock off. I actually found a site that sold them by accident. They looked the same, same packaging, etc. Only difference was the serial numbers were on a list of counterfeits.
M

So with a 5 pound spring it should open at 10 psi. Interesting. Thanks!

Well, it's more a function of the pressure in the exhaust manifold.. because that's what the spring is holding the valve against.

Even at only 10psi boost with a TD04 turbine wheel in a dinky 5cm housing on a stock 4G63, it wouldn't be far fetched to expect exhaust manifold ("drive") pressure upwards of 25psi, or greater dependent on specifics.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back