The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

OEM Straight-Cut Oil Pump Gears Available

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul@RTM

Supporting Vendor
Oct 24, 2012
Hamilton, ON_Canada
We've found an overseas source for OEM straight-cut oil pump gears (MD121120, MD125361). We already have a good supply of the driven gear (MD125361) but had been unable to source the drive gear (MD121120) for quite a while. We've since found a source.

These things were thought to be extinct. As you can imagine, their rarity has influenced their price. Before we commit to bringing any of these in, we need to know what kind of interest there is.

Assuming we can bring them in at the cost we've been quoted, our pricing would be as follows (pricing in $CAD):
drive gear (MD121120) alone: $400
driven gear (MD125316) alone: $160
both drive & driven: $500

(At current exchange rates the above convert to approximately $285, $114 and $355 in $USD).

If you're interested at the above pricing email us at:
[email protected] or
[email protected]

Also, we are accepting deposits on these gears / gearsets.
Details here:

Preference given to those with a deposit on record.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Paul, the question has been asked, will the straight cut gears work in a helical cut gear oil pump case?
Thanks!
Marty

There are a few threads on this topic and it seems there's no obvious answer. Apparently, certain TSB's would suggest they can't be mixed, but I've seen reference to some knowledgeable DSMers that have successfully done it. We aren't technically knowledgeable enough to say one way or the other. Perhaps some helpful soul can reference the relevant threads.

Paul, the question has been asked, will the straight cut gears work in a helical cut gear oil pump case?
Thanks!
Marty
Yes, I bought a new front case a few months ago and reused my straight-cut gears. I visually compared my original front case to the new one and couldn't find anything different.

When you say "new" do you mean OEM Mitsubishi new or helical cut aftermarket case new. That's the question everyone wants answers to. Can we put straight cut gears into a helical front case assembly and still have proper clearances and oil pressure?

When you say "new" do you mean OEM Mitsubishi new or helical cut aftermarket case new. That's the question everyone wants answers to. Can we put straight cut gears into a helical front case assembly and still have proper clearances and oil pressure?
OEM 6-bolt front case. MD175762

Edit: this is the part number Mitsu switched to when the straight cut gears were discontinued.

Were they straight cut cases or were the superseded cases for helical gears? :hmm:
I honestly don't know so this is a great answer if the superseded pumps were helical like 91 and up.

I've used straight cut gears in 91+ cases for many years. I've even seen them in 2G 7 bolt cases without issues.

FWIW, according to the Mitsubishi TSB you should not mix cases.
OEM cases or aftermarket???
I'm wondering if I can use a new aftermarket (ACL) case with new straight cut gears and not have clearance problems and bad or low oil pressure or volume or what the difference is? The helical pumps I am using have seen their amount of abuse and still hold good pressure.

Hey Marty for what it’s worth I polished up my original 90’ straight cut gears and threw them in a new OEM case I bought last year, I don’t remember exactly what my clearances were but they were still on the tight end with the feeler gauge to FSM spec, 600 miles on the new motor and so far no issues knock on wood.

As far as compatibility with the ACL I would just buy the damn gears and check the clearance, I bet it would work, as far as the MD part # difference between the OEM cases, considering those gears were 1990 only I’m sure there’s been countless builds from shops/vendors over the years with those gears in either case without issue.

Again from what I understand the only real shining light to the straight cut gears were a longer life in an engine with the balance shafts deleted, and to anyone who claims to be able to “hear” the gears whine must have the worlds quietest DSM with their hearing aids turned all the way up because I’ve never heard them LOL

On most “High” power builds people delete the balance shafts, the helical gears have “axial/side loading” issues at high rpm without the balance shaft where as the straight gears don’t have that issue with an OEM stub shaft. Basically the straight cut gears are scientifically “cool” and the helical gears aren’t, hope this helps :idontknow:

One more reason the 1990 model year is somewhat of a “Good Looking” red headed step child LOL

I've seen the TSB. I've never verified any of it. Couldn't we get a depth mic and just measure? What else could it be?
That's what I do when installing straight cuts into helical cases. They have always measured in spec for me.

OEM cases or aftermarket???
I'm wondering if I can use a new aftermarket (ACL) case with new straight cut gears and not have clearance problems and bad or low oil pressure or volume or what the difference is? The helical pumps I am using have seen their amount of abuse and still hold good pressure.
Always OEM except one time where I bought an OEM Hyundai case. That was in 2009 and my car made 700+up until I pulled it apart in 2019. There was significant wear on the case and gears. 12 years and maybe 10k miles with 700+ HP.

On most “High” power builds people delete the balance shafts, the helical gears have “axial/side loading” issues at high rpm without the balance shaft where as the straight gears don’t have that issue with an OEM stub shaft. Basically the straight cut gears are scientifically “cool” and the helical gears aren’t, hope this helps :idontknow:

People have deleted the BS for 20 years even on stock rebuilds. Lol.

But basically I’m gonna say no. Mindblowin has a good post with the side load/wear but that was after a very long time. My feelings unless they’re fact checked, are these are a novelty and not a necessity.

You could be right, I’m only 600 miles in on a BSD motor, my prior engine had an ACL with helical gears and had no issues, but that was with balance shafts. Im sure there’s plenty of members on here with helical, balance shaft deleted set ups that could chime in.

Both my Red and Blue TSI's are BSE and ACL pumps, no issues so far and I drive them a bit hard......OMG

You could be right, I’m only 600 miles in on a BSD motor, my prior engine had an ACL with helical gears and had no issues, but that was with balance shafts. Im sure there’s plenty of members on here with helical, balance shaft deleted set ups that could chime in.

Had a 2G pistons 1G rods 6 bolt engine(aka stock rebuild, don’t wanna say I “built” it) that actually reused the original front pump w/helical gears with unknown mileage on the pump itself, that is still running to this day. Like 8-9 years and at minimum 80k mile later. Lol.

Edit: duh. Forgot to mention it was a balance shaft deleted engine. I didn’t use a stubby shaft either, I just cut the stock one and used a long bolt to block the hole. LOL

Last edited:
4g61 had the balance shafts deleted from factory and came with the same front case as DSM and the same straight cut gears until early 91 and the same helical gears from mid 91 ~, just like DSM.

Okay guys, we're getting ready to place our order with our supplier.
We'll take deposits on these gears until Nov 30. We'll then be placing our order with the supplier the next day (Dec 1).

We'll only be ordering gears / gear sets to match the deposits we've received, so if you're interested, now's the time to act.

Here's the link to the deposit product in our webstore:

Thank you.

Okay, we're closing down the taking of deposits and we've placed our order on the gears. We expect to have them in stock about 2 weeks from now.

For all of those who have placed deposits: thank you. We'll be in contact when the gears arrive.

Okay, we finally have these gears in stock. We thank all those who have placed deposits for their patience. Things are a bit hectic here due to the holidays, so we'll need a few days to sort thru things and get these shipped out.

In the meantime, we'll contact directly all those who have placed deposits.

Thank you.

When we ordered the straight-cut oil pump drive gears (part number MD121120), we were under the impression that they were OEM Mitsubishi gears. When we received them we realized that they were not genuine Mitsu gears. Instead, they are manufactured by a company in Belgium called Total Source. (Total Source is a very big name in the materials handling industry worldwide; as is Mitsubishi. In fact, this is the connection between these two companies. We suspect that when Mitsu discontinued the straight-cut gears, a large market still existed for them so Total Source decided to manufacture them. And it's lucky for us they did because, as far as we know, they are the only source of these gears. (We looked into the supply of these gears and it appears even the Total Source gears are now discontinued. The supply we ordered appears to have exhausted at least the North American supply (and possibly the worldwide supply))).

We looked at these gears very closely and took measurements of all important dimensions and they exactly match the OEM gear. We found only two noteworthy differences between the Total Source gear and the OEM gear. First, there is no "timing" dimple present. (There is a timing dimple present on the OEM gears that allow the drive and driven gears to be easily timed to match the oil pump and rear balance shaft to which they are attached). Of course, the oil pump and rear balance shaft can still be timed without using marks on the gears, but it is a little more inconvenient. Also, we suspect anyone intending to run straight-cut oil pump gears has probably already removed (or intends to remove) the balance shafts, and thus the absence of timing marks on the gears is irrelevant. The only other noteworthy difference is the presence of a black coating on the non-toothed faces of the gear.

We've attached some photos of the drive gear (MD121120) to give you an idea that they match the Mitsu gear and of their overall quality. (You may see what appears to be some kind of foreign substance on the tooth surfaces: this is a rust preventative coating, similar to the coating found on the Mitsu gears).

The straight-cut oil pump driven gear (part number MD125361) we already had a substantial supply of in stock and is a genuine OEM Mitsu part.

All of the above being said, the pricing on these gears is still absolutely intact. That is, we cannot discount our pricing simply because the drive gear is not an OEM part. Our pricing is based on what we paid for these parts and we paid what we paid.

In any case, since the drive gear is not a genuine OEM gear and we gave the impression that it would be (and took deposits on them with that impression in mind) we cannot in good conscience hold to our condition that any deposit paid is nonrefundable. Instead, anyone who does not wish to follow through with their order will receive a full refund. We think that is only fair.

Thank you.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is anybody else picking up these gears - or requesting a refund of their deposits??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back