The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

OEM Straight-Cut Oil Pump Gears Available

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd be interested in some if the rockwell testing and the finishing RA on the fronts and rears of the gears are decent.

You have a captive market here.

So is anyone successfully running the larger OEM replacement gear? I got a set of these and took a closer look today. The small OEM gear has considerably better/smoother finish. The larger one also has some imperfections that may or may not affect it's performance.

Wouldn't one assume that if the helical and straight cut were the same exact dimensions height and width wise they can be used in a helical case? I've done that twice already without issue. 🤷‍♂️
My apologies as I worded it incorrectly. I am speaking about the larger straight cut gear which is a replacement for the OEM gear and not a genuine Mitsubishi part. I am aware of the compatibility of the straight and helical gears. Sorry for the confusion.

My apologies as I worded it incorrectly. I am speaking about the larger straight cut gear which is a replacement for the OEM gear and not a genuine Mitsubishi part. I am aware of the compatibility of the straight and helical gears. Sorry for the confusion.
No no, I was just asking in general. I've measured helical and straight cut to be identical so I never saw any issue to swap the straight cut into a helical case. Never had any issues myself.

No no, I was just asking in general. I've measured helical and straight cut to be identical so I never saw any issue to swap the straight cut into a helical case. Never had any issues myself.
Gotcha. I've read that they are interchangeable so that's why I bought a set from RTM. There are reports on Facebook that the reproduction gear is not up to par so I'm trying to see if anyone here has used it without issue. I'm gonna see if I can get some measurements done of the Total Source gear but I can tell that the finish is not quite oem.

It wasn't straight cut gears in my thread, but I did some comparing of a no name oil pump with helical gears and an ACL pump (like our vendors sell). If you would like to view any of it, just click HERE.
I have had no issues using the ACL pumps on my rebuilds, FYI, and they are helical gears of course.

FWIW I am running a helical gear set up with a stub shaft on a 7 bolt. I have about 40k hard miles on it just north of 500whp. Been that way wince 2013. No issues thus far. I haven't had the pump off to check for wear, but whenever I do I can inspect it.

I'm still a believer that the wear people experience is due to solid tensioners or improper timing tension. But I'm no engineer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back