The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

OEM knock sensor vs Autozone Knock Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
I have just purchased an OEM knock sensor from a DSM part vendor and I am trying to find what the difference is between the AutoZone knock sensor and the OEM knock sensor. With them sitting side by side, you would never know which one is OEM. The wire colors are exactly the same, the part number on the AutoZone one says "Mitsubishi E1T15075 (9Y16)" and the OEM one has "Mitsubishi E1T15075 (1531)". The reason I am replacing it is because I am getting 43 counts of knock right from take off. The sensor on the car is less than a year old. I was told AutoZone knock sensors are no good. Did I lose out on some money?

I know for a fact that some sensors autozone carries are actual OEM parts. I have seen sensors come out of Duralast boxes still in OEM packaging.

I have used the one from AutoZone and side by side I thought they were exactly the same, but I never really looked at the numbers. It said Mitsubishi and looked like the old one, so I was like :hellyeah:. I've been running the AutoZone one for a few years with no problems.... yet :pray:

Went for a 10 mile test drive and it seemed to be a lot less sensitive. Still seeing maybe 1 to 3 counts of knock on acceleration every once in awhile. WOT pull was flat 0 knock all the way to 6500 rpm. Will see on the drive in to work tomorrow how it goes....

Just thought I would add to this thread just in case anyone is trying to decide between the two sensors. I recently purchased a knock sensor from AutoZone, and within 100 miles it was dead. Replaced it with an OEM sensor and its perfect now. I know I don't have any real explanation why one is better than the other, but It might give someone a little insight when trying to decide between the two.

a knock sensor from AutoZone, and within 100 miles it was dead

Why..and why you DON'T buy auto parts stuff from "AZ"...... 3rd party subcontracted manufactured, remanufactured, or QC reject parts is what they look like.

Oil, spark plugs, filters and cleaning stuff is okey since they didn't make them, but parts counter stuff, I just shudder to think where these came from since I've never heard of the manufacturer who makes them, or how they were made.. and I really don't want to know.

Reminds me of the crap that Radio Shack used to sell...

There's better out there.

Autozone isn't that bad .If your part fails take it back and get another.They have Warranty.

Yeah but then you'll be replacing the junk part with another junk part. I only shop at O'rielly's now after all the autozone junk I've got in the past.

I have used both. And honestly, the only difference I could see was the price.

In my experience some parts are ok and some are garbage. I ran O Reilly coil packs for a while and then got some new OEM ones and OEM's definitely were better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back