The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

OEM Heat shield refinishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin DuBois

Proven Member
Aug 15, 2019
Oakland, California
Steel-It stainless steel spray paint

Back when EGT probes were a thing, and the tuning method with AFC was to find the lean setting before the EGT temps jump ( which is actually the lean setting before knock and timing is being pulled back ) I was wire bush stripping corrosion and rust from stock heat shields.

To stop the rust, I would prime the stripped metal with cold galvanizing spray, and then top coat with Stainless Steel spray paint.

I had no idea how well this would hold up - but now I do. Check out the old heat shields at the top if the image. These lasted. 10’s of years.

The middle shield is recently stripped primed and painted, and the lower shield is brand new factory part for comparison.

You can all thank Mike W at RRE for letting me experiment 20 years ago, and the luck to find a product that still exists today.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks good that, nice and subtle. I recently did a friends 1GA talon but in a ceramic grey but his was cracked and a bite worse off to start with, age got to it but its not used a whole lot either. Its nice they got a sprsy thats so subtle to look at and almost looks like a factory finish

Definitely will be using this. If anyone is curious how bad they can be just from sitting for a year or three, here’s mine after 6-7 years of engine enamel covered stock heatshield. 🤢🤮

This was after a bath, and some light scrubbing with a green scotchbrite pad. So Justin’s looks nothing short of amazing after 10-20 years.

Definitely gonna be doing this! What cold galvanizing spray do you use?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back