The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Odd power drop while turning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
So, likeI get my title implies, I get a weird power drop when turning. It's not all the time, just for example, if I'm at a stop sign or red light, and I'm turning right, I'll hit the gas and let up on the clutch and will get power through to mid-way through the turn, then it's like all power shuts off and the car lurches a little like it's coughing, then regain it's composure and build boost like normal. It only happens with right turns. The first time I experienced this, I thought it was because my fuel level was low, but it'll do it on a full tank as well. I don't know what to call this or were to post it, so it's here until someone moves it.

Maybe I should look into upgrading the pump. The tank has a few dents in the bottome (thank you previous owner), but haven't had this issue until maybe a few months ago and I've had the car just over 2 years. I haven't been able to test fuel pressure, but I did replace the fuel filter last Fall, and did a fuel delivery test. Don't think that's what it's really called, but I don't remember the exact term.

Also, maybe 2 months ago, I swapped my aluminum radiator back in, and while doing the coolant burping, it decided to run out of fuel, even though I know I had plenty in the tank. Turned out to be the bowl around the pump was out of fuel, but the tank wasn't. Still had 3-4 gallons. I think the dents play a part in that.

Since I had my car up on the alignment rack the other day, I used the time to take a few shots of the fuel tank. Due to the dents, the chamber that sits around the fuel pump, in my theory, gets drained of fuel too soon and reads as a low fuel level even when I have plenty left, and probably reacts the same way during hard right turns.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If it does it on a full tank then you can pretty well rule out the tank being an issue based on where the pump sits. However it is not a bad idea to remove it and make sure nothing is damaged in there. It could still be a pressure issue so you need to monitor the pressure at the rail to make sure you aren't getting any problems there. Does the car have power under full acceleration?

Well the tank will be getting replaced once I do the AWD swap, no sense to swap tanks twice ;)
It gets quite a bit of power at WOT. Never had any issues there. When it cuts out on the right turns, it's usually if I gun the throttle to get out into the flow of traffic, which usually happens during rush hour times. Other times is if I'm feeling the need to drive fast and do the same thing, with or without the traffic flow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back