The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

OD Switch Missing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
** Update : Everything has been wired up to a switch in a fashion that is commonly used to relocate the OD switch, however, I'm still having the below issue. drop to my most recent post.

So the last hurdle in my car is that I have codes 83 and 41, signaling that my Control Valve A is open or shorted. Looking into this, I have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but no 4th/OD. It just hit me that whoever put the interior together previously used a Manual center console and rigged up a manual shift knob to work with the rod that goes down into the lever. There is no OD switch. I also cannot find the wire for this - Thus, my open circuit.

Now, looking at this diagram I can see where the OD switch originates from but I have no understanding of the rest of the graph and how it relates to other relays and wiring as there are a few different paths. I have Cruise Control in my vehicle, as I can see that makes a difference.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How do I wire my OD up? I'm terrible with reading diagrams and just need a very basic explanation of how to setup the wiring for my OD so I can finally get this car on the road. I know I can't set it up for the shifter, but could I wire it to a toggle switch or something of the sort?

Last edited:
I wired up my OD Switch to a remote 2 way switch and I'm still having my same issue. Car shifts and drives fine, just never even attempts to shift into OD.

I'm pulling codes 83 and 41 from the TCU. Any other ideas as to what this could be? I'm completely lost and I need this up and running immediately.

....No input guys? =/

Alright, so after wiring everything up in cab to relocate the OD switch, I am having the same issue. The TCU is throwing code 41 which is, in turn, causing 83 to be thrown. The TCU looks fine, I've cleaned the plugs...but I don't know where to go from here. It's an open/short circuit code. The Transmission is having zero issues shifting with any gear, it's just like.. it'd driving with OD off. It never even attempts to shift into OD. I haven't moved the car in over 2 weeks due to this - frankly I'm getting tired of it just setting.

What should I do to go about diagnosing exactly what the issue is? I don't want to drop the pan, the tons of fluid, valve body, etc, to change a Solenoid and find that it's not the issue. What tests can I perform? How can I perform them? It seems that any issues with the Auto Trans' are questioned but hardly ever answered or the answers are very vague. I just need a defining answer so I can finally get this beast on the road.

For Reference : http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/automatic-tranny/417817-tranny-stuck-2nd.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/253956-relocating-over-drive-switch-automatics-how.html

Yup. Still no resolution to this. Eh..

All plugs check out. Solenoid resistance checks out. No plugs are swapped... I'm lost and frustrated. I haven't touched the car in 2-3 weeks now. I'm about to trade it for something retarded or scrap it/part it out. Something this stupid is frustrating me so bad and I can't find a single answer.

What I'm curious of, is the OD wires were cut. They were then wired (Yellow for dash and the other for the TCU signal) to the same pin. The ground was separate. So when you flipped the switch to turn the OD on, the dash light came on as well. I've managed to find that this code will throw if you have too much or too little resistance on that signal wire. Would these two wires being together on the same pin cause this issue? Would the TCU see too much resistance and deactivate OD?

I'm going to make a note that advice and the service manual is damned near worthless for this issue.

I know the Pin Numbers from the TCU.
I know that the switch is a 2 way switch.
I know that it's code 83 and 41.
41 in succession 4 times trips code 83 which won't allow me to shift into Overdrive.
This means that I have high resistance for the PCSV.

What the manual nor anyone else seems to be able to point out is which ####ing plug is this? under the hood? It needs to be around 22ohms, however, I'll never know if it's right because if it's damaged then I'll be looking forever even if I find it.

This is so frustrating I want to punch a baby kitten in the face as hard as my arm will allow me. I want to check everything externally before I go pulling the damned valve body and find out " Oh! It was a frayed wire! " and spend another $80 on damned fluids. Infuriated doesn't even begin to scratch the surface here.

So please, for the love of god, someone just take a picture of the damned connector I need to check in relation to code 83/41. Pressure Control Valve A.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back