The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Occasional issues trying to start the car when it's warm. Possible Ignition Issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimmer

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2008
Vancouver, BC_Canada
I have been having some occasional issues trying to start the car when it's warm. It doesn't always happen but once in a while if I shut the car off and try to start it again it might not start immediately. It's also happened once when the weather outside was a bit hot and the car was sitting out in the sun for over an hour. I don't know if heat is related to the issue as it doesn't always happen but I've never had the problem with a cold start.

When it happens if I wait a bit the car will start fine. When it happened most recently (in the linked video) I just tried a few more times and the car started.

What should I be looking at to try and diagnose the problem?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I'm still having the issue. I tried a few times and when I turn the key to ignition the lights and everything turn off but the engine doesn't crank. There aren't any other sounds.

Today I tried to disconnect the battery and reconnect it and the car started fine immediately after that. I don't know if it's related or not. Maybe I should start troubleshooting the starter?

If anybody has suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Try cleaning (with sandpaper) both ends of both large starter cables and posts first and then tightening them down. If that doesn't work replace starter (or take it apart and clean/inspect it if you know how). Can also measure voltage on + starter cable while holding key in start position when having problem.

Last edited:
You need to put a test light on the starter solenoid when this is happening to determine if the issue is with the solenoid, or the signal wire going to the solenoid.

That it happens when warm points to the starter or starter solenoid, but you still need to do some testing before throwing parts at it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back