The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G OBX oil pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmpride

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2003
Tucson, Arizona
Ok I have a 2g with a 6 bolt in it and I am leaking oil like an sob because I got a cheap, used, stock oil pan. Anyway, I was looking at this OBX oil pan on ebay. Now I know that OBX/SS Auto Chrome doesn't have the best reputation but I'm really turned on by this one because it has a nice thick flange on in and it has a threaded fitting for the turbo oil return. I wanted your guys' opinion on this pan. I have another concern about it. It doesn't look like the driverside axle shaft will clear the large sump that comes out of the rear of the pan. There is already very little room there with a stock pan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38657&item=7975277290&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Anyway, thanks guys.

Kent

Looks like a moroso pan knock off. It could be a good deal if they used reverse enginnering off of the moroso.

Just was looking around for a few parts for a 4g63 6bolt and seen a OBX oil pan

Anyone ever used one or had bad news with one before?

Just was looking around for a few parts for a 4g63 6bolt and seen a OBX oil pan

Anyone ever used one or had bad news with one before?

[Is that a stutter, or do you have some other brain problem?]

I will never pay that much for a oil pan either...

$200+ for a knockoff oil pan?
No thanks.

Why are you interested in an aluminum oil pan?

Im just having cooling problems when its above 90 outside at redlights. And my oem oil pan wont seal, ive done it 3 times and its still leaking.

Who makes a non ebay version of this ?

Its more for the sealing, not a fan of RTV, just figured if i could cool a lil more in the process why not, I know it wont fix the cooling problem, but every little bit helps. Keeping this car cool after a hard drive sitting at a redlight sucks.

Thanks for the link.

Why Does the brand really matter. Its just a name! I have run tons of obx products , "Never" once had a problem. Except for an exhaust manifold had a hole. (Spot missed when welding)

Contract obx for info on pan/pick'up/dip stick etc

$200+ for a knockoff oil pan?
No thanks.

Why are you interested in an aluminum oil pan?

Being that the moroso pan is $500, this looks like a decent option. 6 quart capacity, and it's already tapped for a real oil return, instead of the destined to leak factory 2-bolt flange. I mean its a freaking oil pan, it either holds oil, or it doesn't.

just get another OEM pan, I'm sure someone on here has one that they are willing to let go of for cheap. Your cooling issues and coming from somewhere other than hot oil, your oil is getting hot cause your motor isn't keeping cool. Try an aluminum radiator, K&N air filter, bigger intake preferably something aluminum, a bigger IC, a new thermostat and new coolant ratio. That should help drastically

It's not the brand that I'm talking about.
Why would you drop $200 on a "race" item when your going to be daily driving it?

Look into an aluminum radiator or maybe your thermostat took a dump.

OR get yourself a used OEM unit for like $30-$40 if you really want a new item just get it new, I'm not sure if it's been discontinued yet or not but they should be around $100 and buy a new OEM oil pan gasket.

Call it a day.

It's not the brand that I'm talking about.
Why would you drop $200 on a "race" item when your going to be daily driving it?

Look into an aluminum radiator or maybe your thermostat took a dump.

OR get yourself a used OEM unit for like $30-$40 if you really want a new item just get it new, I'm not sure if it's been discontinued yet or not but they should be around $100 and buy a new OEM oil pan gasket.

Call it a day.

The oil pan is not going to fix his cooling issue, that is correct. But, most used oil pans leak, it's recommended to use a new one every time the oil pan is removed, as the rails are thin, and easily bent. A new oem pan is usually around $100. Why not get a little more capacity , a thicker rail, and a non leaking turbo return?:hmm:

After seeing this, the next time my oil pan comes off, one of these is going on.

Oh, and by the way, THERE IS NO OEM GASKET!:tease:

Im just having cooling problems when its above 90 outside at redlights. And my oem oil pan wont seal, ive done it 3 times and its still leaking.

Who makes a non ebay version of this ?

What are you using to seal the pan to the block. Mitsu, from the factory, use a RTV based sealant for the oil pan. We do not have a gasket for our oil pans, people do sell them, but from the factory and manual it tells use to use "mitsu-bond".

Have you take a straight edge to any of the surfaces?

RTV work wonders in minute and reasonable amounts. RTV fails when idiots glob it on and do not let it vulcanize/cure correctly.

1) An Aluminum Oil Pan is not going to lower you engine temps, by hardly anything at all. OEM Oil pans are already aluminum. And when you force more of a liquid together it takes longer for that body of liquid to change tempatures.

2) Get a better radiator. I have this one.
Mishimoto Aluminum Race Radiator: Eclipse/Talon 90-94
But you should get this:
Punishment Racing Race Radiator Kit With Shroud: Eclipse/Talon 1990-1994

3) If oil temps are a problem swap over to a 1990 Oil Filter Housing here
STM: OEM DSM 6-BOLT AIR-COOLED OIL FILTER HOUSING | MD132912
then buy this
STM OIL COOLER KIT | 90-99 DSM

Really? I didnt know that their wasnt a gasket for the oil pan.
My bad on my part.

But if you want to spend that amount of money on something that wont help you at all but gain you looks....under the engine.

Go for it. :)

Really? I didnt know that their wasnt a gasket for the oil pan.
My bad on my part.

But if you want to spend that amount of money on something that wont help you at all but gain you looks....under the engine.

Go for it. :)

Again, i don't think the op needs this part, but....
One of the main things you gain from this pan, is reuseability. The rails are much thicker than the stocker, which i have seen ruined many, many times during removal. The added capacity, and non leaking turbo drain, are secondary benefits.

stock pan at autozone is $65 made by spectra.
Then get "the right stuff" gasket maker.

best combo ever.

Old post, but I'm attempting to make this pan fit on my 6-bolt stroker.

It might fit on a stock engine, but It definitely does not fit with aftermarket rods, ARP bolts...etc... And they definitely did not surface it flat. Once it's flat, the rod bolts on #2 are making major contact on an area of the pan that can not be hammered out (side of sump directly over the weld)

The difference I can see from this, and the real Moroso pan, is that this didn't get fully welded on the entire perimeter of the flange. It is welded where it needs to be, but it doesn't look finished on the outside.

Update after leak testing with water.

Don't bother with this pan.

If they fully welded the outside of the flange like the Moroso, it would be leak free. 2 sections have water seeping through the welded area. Time for more welding.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back