The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

obx lsd [Merged 5-7] limited slip phantom grip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next time don't give up right away. From the next to last page in a thread titled OBX LSD - Update :rolleyes:

jsheperd said:
Just a quick update guys. The obx unit that I received with a customers trans does not and will not fit a fwd case. There are several reason why and no amount of machining can fix the problem. The speedo gear also will never come in contact with the speedo pinion gear.

So I would assume that with all the r&d that was suppose to be done that I must have the wrong unit although the axle holes are the right diameter, it was made for a dsm ring gear and has the spot for the speedo gear just like the quaife.

Could it be possible that these obx front lsd's where meant for an awd model?

Im sorry but is their any differences in the carrier sizes between awd models and fwd models?

Maybe John Sheppard or maybe phantom hp could answer this?

The 93 and later fwd only cars had a larger axle shaft and these diffs were set up for the larger axle. There was obviously no thought put into it because even if it did fit the speedometer gear would never be able to come in contact with the speedometer pinion.

So I take it that these lsd's wouldnt be able to fit into an awd dsm's front carrier.

Gotcha John. Oh and congrats on breaking into the 7's. :rocks:

There's been a few threads about this before, but they've all been closed, so please stick to the topic and nothing else.

Both here and on 2GNT, very few people have actually bought and tested the OBX LSD for the 420A. Shep said there was serious fitment issues with OBX LSDs, but as we all know, those are for the 4G63. Quite a few people on 2GNT all say they "know Honda guys who have had excellent results."

Obviously, none of this really helps us with the 420A. If you have first hand experience with this LSD, please share your experiences. In particular, I'm looking for notes on fitment, function, and overall quality (Please no "all OBX is crap!" or "OBX = SSAutoChrome" comments).

Finally, I'd just like to say that the availability of Quaife and Mopar LSDs has been beaten to death on this forum. We all know they're great - they're unfortunately, expensive too... so please keep the discussion to the OBX LSD. Thanks. :thumb:

I read no mention of phantom grip :confused:

VelocitàPaola said:
Finally, I'd just like to say that the availability of Quaife and Mopar LSDs has been beaten to death on this forum. We all know they're great - they're unfortunately, expensive too...

...and Phantom Grips. They're wonderful; they're inexpensive, and they'll destroy your spider gears if you have more than 350 hp and you like to launch hard.

Eitherway...
VelocitàPaola said:
please keep the discussion to the OBX LSD. Thanks. :thumb:

:)

Buddy of mine here in Phoenix just snagged one of these on eBay for under $450 shipped. I've seen it and it looks fairly stout. There is a need to press the outer bearings in place and he's also suspecting there might be issues with installing the speedometer gear ring (literally a "square-peg-round-hole" situation), but otherwise, there isn't anything overtly out of the ordinary.

It's not installed yet, but I can follow up with him as he goes. He's also curious if anyone has information on this thing. I'd post a picture, but it's too large and I can't resize anything here at work. Maybe later. Looks just like the Quaiffe, though. We're optimistic.

dr1665 said:
It's not installed yet, but I can follow up with him as he goes.
That'd be great. Like I said, so far all I know is that the 4G63 guys haven't had much luck with it; but there's so many conflicting stories over at 2GNT... just make sure to keep us posted! :thumb:

dr1665 said:
I'd post a picture
I'll take care of that...

Attachments

• 84_1_b.jpg
    84_1_b.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,308
http://www.amcparts.net/

(click honda lsd's, then look for mitsu 420a eclipse)

Is another company selling FULL LSD's (not phantom grip styles) for cheap (about 550)

But I just wanted to throw this product into the dissucsions of if it works/fits/ and still good even though its cheap.

I see... I could never find the LSD for the 420A on that site before. Click on Honda first... right! It makes so much sense! :confused:

Anyway, it looks like the OBX one to me, so if anybody knows about these, please comment.

BigRand said:
http://www.amcparts.net/

(click honda lsd's, then look for mitsu 420a eclipse)

Is another company selling FULL LSD's (not phantom grip styles) for cheap (about 550)

But I just wanted to throw this product into the dissucsions of if it works/fits/ and still good even though its cheap.

velocitaguy said:
I said keep the discussion to OBX only... :mad:

How'd you come across that one, and have you read about it anywhere yet :confused:

XMasta19 said:
umm...and just how close to 350whp are you :|
That doesn't matter. A superior LSD is a superior LSD. If this thing is a Quaiffe knock-off down to the fine details, then it's the best bargain out there right now. I'd get it before I would turbocharge my 2GNT. Those New Skool/Phantom Grip deals are sketchy at best. I would only invest in the retrofit version offered by ERT in Chicago, but I'd prefer to go with something that replaces the stocker over something that hacks it at best.

So, do you have one of these LSDs Velocidado? :sneaky:

I saw www.amcparts.net in the back of a modified magazine one day, and it said 420a mitsubishi eclipse next to it, so I had to get online asap to check it out. But thats all I've heard. So I will throw the thread back to the disscusion on OBX's LSD, Its all the same to me.

Here's something interesting I found on 2GNT. I'm not sure how credible it is... I don't know who "Honda Tech Guy" is. Apparently, though, he broke down an OBX and Quaife LSD side by side. Despite his negativity, the differences don't sound like anything some sandpaper and stronger bolts wouldn't take care of.

Originally posted by Honda-Tech Guy who did a visual comparo

I am not an expert on Quaifes so don't give me any hard core technical questions. This is just my observations on my autopsy of the OBX clone.
The OBX came encased in a custom styrofoam packing inside the box. It was typical of Asian packaging and I liked how they did that

It was easy to tell the OBX from a Quaife from the outside of the unit. The finish on the Quaife exterior is smooth satin whereas the OBX is of a rough machining. It had sharp edges and was not deburred like the Quaife. (If you were to break your OBX, don't send it to Quaife. They would be able tell the diff immediately.)

Next I did a ghetto hardness test and ran a hack saw blade over the case. It marked the case telling me that it was only mildly heat treated compared to the harder Quaife.

There is eleven allen bolts and one pin holding the unit together (just like Quaife). On removing the bolts, I observed that some were loose but none of them were tight. I believe Quaife torques these bolts to 50 lbs where I would guess the average torque on the OBX was 10-15lbs. This would probably lead to tranny failure as soon as one of these bolts worked itself loose into the transmission. As I pulled apart the top of the OBX, there is a pressed in pin that also holds the top in alignment. The pin fell out of the OBX. A very poor fit. Also the bolts were of a slightly lower grade than Quaife's.

The internal design of the unit was identical to the Quaife. There is a bolt in the center of the unit that I removed. Tension on this bolt is held by several Bellview washers. These are cupped washers that work like springs to load the bolt. The goofy thing was these washers were installed backwards and were not even working. Amazing how they can copy something like this and not tell their 15 cents per day workers how to install these washers properly. By having these washers backwards, I'm really not positive how this would effect the working of the unit but would assume it has to do with loading one wheel or the other. Not sure.

Finally, I pulled all of the gears out of the unit. You can tell the quality of the machining of the gears was unfinished and rough. There was a huge amount of play in these gears, which is not good. They will be very noisey on the street and have the potential of banging together until they fail. I certainly would not try to run slicks with an OBX.

It will be interesting to see what Quaife will do about OBX. Quaife holds a world wide patent on the unit and the design is identical but just with poor tolerances and machine workmanship. I guess that is what you can expect, given the price of the OBX. I would guess if you have a 200whp street car, this unit will work for you. If you have a high horsepower car, I would stay away from it. I think a set of slicks and some traction will destroy the unit fairly quick. If you plan to buy one of these, have someone take it apart first just to check bolt torque and the Bellview washer orientation. It could live a much longer time by doing that.

I think ultimately we will see Quaife take some sort of legal action against vendors selling this product. I guess time will tell on that. I have decided not to sell the unit as I am not one for taking the heat...

Well that sucks. No wonder there are none on Ebay.

Does anyone know what is going on with the production of these? Where is that phantom guy who works for OBX? I guess OBX screwed up on the production design...this really sucks because I was really looking forward to finally having a helical LSD for a reasonable price. ARGHHHHHHHH OMG

sonicnofadz said:
I guess OBX screwed up on the production design...
Nope. They screwed up by copying the wrong diff. They didn't "design" anything. They never do. They copy. And in this case, it came back to bite them. Not hard enough, I fear, but it is still a good day for those who believe in intellectual property rights.

- Jtoby

Well I for one cannot wait until they release this thing. Screw intellectual property rights. If copying someone's work gets me a similar or better product for much cheaper, I'M ALL FOR IT. If no one was ever allowed to copy each other's design or improve upon them, we'd probably all still be driving wooden wagons.

sonicnofadz said:
Does anyone know what is going on with the production of these? Where is that phantom guy who works for OBX? I guess OBX screwed up on the production design...this really sucks because I was really looking forward to finally having a helical LSD for a reasonable price. ARGHHHHHHHH OMG

that's a real good question..........

sonicnofadz said:
Well I for one cannot wait until they release this thing. Screw intellectual property rights. If copying someone's work gets me a similar or better product for much cheaper, I'M ALL FOR IT. If no one was ever allowed to copy each other's design or improve upon them, we'd probably all still be driving wooden wagons.

omfg that last sentense so reminds me of a jeep wagoneer! But its true though.ROFL

They do still sell those on Ebay.

Hmm very interesting, $89 freaking bucks for a GM. But we get raped for one.

myblack98gst said:
Back in my s-10 days I bought a LSD unit for it for $89 yes a complete differential for $89!!!! it was strong enough to hold up to LS1 powered cars just fine. there is no real difference in a diff for a RWD domestic, and a fwd they are made the same way, mounted basically in the same fashoin, etc..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back