The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

obx lsd [Merged 5-7] limited slip phantom grip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, sorry havent been around the forums to much lately.

The LSD's were delayed from the original date but are now about here. We look to have a unit in our hands by Friday with pics. Also, the rest of the shipment will be arriving on Sat to OBX and I can then begin to place orders and send these out.

So PM me or email over to [email protected] with your requests. Right now I believe all we have are the fronts for the eclipse and talons.

Here are some pics of a unit for the non-turbo models.
*LARGE PICS AND FILE SIZE*

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Guys!!

Here is more pics of the LSD and box it will be shipped in. These pics are taken by us on our own kitchen table and even a shipping label to boot.

This is the 1st 420A LSD from OBX to see outside obx's warehouse and we have it with these pics to go along.

Again if you have any questions or want to be put on the new list for a unit then please emails me or PM me with your name, shipping info, phone number and how many units.

Thanks,
Mike

well just stumbled on them on ebay, ready to ship, they are done i guess and for sale for $450...makes it hard to want to buy a quaife now for 1200 doesnt it...LOL

I just bought a new tranny to replace my blown one, may just get one of these to try out

There is a local shopowner here that runs one on his 01 civic with 600whp and runs low 10s launching on 26" slicks....at 10000rpm...and he says he hasnt broken it yet, guess I will be trying it out probably

oh to to whoever previously mentioned my quotes and pointed fingers, first off all, I did talk (email) to a obx rep, didnt go anywhere because he was blowing a bunch of smoke up my ass about sending me the first one free to try out and all that bs....again, im not too fond of obx the company itself because theyre..welll...just weird, LOL

Also, haha...look, htere is an LSD for our car, unlike some of you who pointed at me saying I was bulshiting, theyre on ebay now for $450

Im probably gonna end up ordering it still just to try it, I got a new tranny for cheap so I might as well throw it in there i gues

does anyone have this in there car right now? im thinking about getting one but i want to know about fitment?

chris

I emailed the Ebayer selling the OBX LSDs and asked him if he has sold alot of the GST LSDs and how it compares to the Quaife. He claims he has sold many and hasn't had any complaints yet from customers. Also told me that the OBX LSD is based on the Quaife design. I really want to buy one of these. The price is too good to pass up, but it's just a matter of "trusting" OBX. However from what I've read, OBX has tunred it around and their products are just as good (if not better) as some of the more expensive brands.

where can you get the speedo ring gear for the obx unit?

chris

i just purchased one of these LSD's and i am sending my transmission to John Shepherd for him to rebuild and intall this OBX LSD. I will post my experience with it as soon as i get my tranny back from Shepherd Racing and my car running.

When you get it back tell us what you think. Hey were did you get the speedo?

Just a quick update guys. The obx unit that I received with a customers trans does not and will not fit a fwd case. There are several reason why and no amount of machining can fix the problem. The speedo gear also will never come in contact with the speedo pinion gear.

So I would assume that with all the r&d that was suppose to be done that I must have the wrong unit although the axle holes are the right diameter, it was made for a dsm ring gear and has the spot for the speedo gear just like the quaife.

Well there you have it. Proof positive junk. Good thing I didn't shell out the money for this.

Not good for me! Thats my tranny John is talking about. This really sucks. I tried calling the guy that sold me it and i had no response, i am going to try emailing him.

Hey guys i really thought this differnetial was going to fit. Damn i had already bought it when i saw this post then i saw this and i was i better check it out asap. so i did today and it doesnt fit . dammmmmmmm . Hey if you get a hold of the guy tell him its two differntials that dont fit. im going to try to email him today. :mad:

Shit. This sucks. I was waiting for this diff too. Hopefully they will straighten this out soon. Kaaz suddenly starts looking better to me :D

damnslowtsi said:
Shit. This sucks. I was waiting for this diff too. Hopefully they will straighten this out soon. Kaaz suddenly starts looking better to me :D

Do not get a Kaaz, the clutches on those wear pretty fast, meaning you would have to replace it again soon which = more money in the long run; ask Shep about it, he'll tell you.

Karking has one called Kormex for $750, which is helical like the quaife. The only problem is that they are 3 weeks out on bringing them back on the market. they stopped production on them because they couldnt compete with the price of the OBX unit, but now that they have been notified that the OBX doesnt fit, they are making more.

Yea, I know about that unit. They have had it on their site for a while now. They are only 45 min. away from me which is a good thing too. I may give it a thought.

As far as Kaaz wearing out fast, as everything else it depends. I know some guys who have had it trouble free for pretty long time. Plus it has its own benefits. The main attraction of OBX to me is the price..

The owner of Sparktec Motorsports asked me to send the unit back to him and he would refund my money. He also told me that he was returning all of his units to OBX.

I was attracted to the OBX unit because of the price also, and look at what happened.
I have made up my mind and i am definitely getting a Kormex LSD, i dont think i can cough up another $400 to get the Quaife, i'm paying quite a bit to get the tranny rebuilt as it is.

jshepherd said:
Just a quick update guys. The obx unit that I received with a customers trans does not and will not fit a fwd case. There are several reason why and no amount of machining can fix the problem. The speedo gear also will never come in contact with the speedo pinion gear.

So I would assume that with all the r&d that was suppose to be done that I must have the wrong unit although the axle holes are the right diameter, it was made for a dsm ring gear and has the spot for the speedo gear just like the quaife.

John,

I'd be interested in hearing what actually *doesn't* fit with the unit.

I've seen people that have ran them in DSM transmissions (albeit, not a lot) that have made them fit.

I'd like to hear exactly what the problem(s) was/were that you had trying to make one work.

Josh,
I would rather you contact me privately on this matter. I can assure you that there is no possible way that the unit I had would ever fit a dsm fwd case. Like I said before there is no amount of machining possible that would allow this to fit.

Im with you on this one jsheperd. i compared and compared and their is no way you can machine enough stuff out to make this fit. It seems like a nice unit but you might even have to machine the case and the lsd unit out, but i dont think it can be done. unit is too big and maybe it was made for another car or somethin. :notgood:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back