The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink OBD2 DIGITAL DASH WITH ECMLINK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlashDSM

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2010
stony brook, New_York
so i want to use a digital dash for my drag car that displays some features.

2g dsm
not looking to use with ecmlink, just wondering if the ecmlink chip has an effect on the data output so that i wouldn't/would be able to use a tablet with a dashboard app?

is this anything out there that i can plug into my obd2 (wired no bluetooth) that will show some monitors?
not looking for a logger dash
or
a tablet with the proper cable?

examples:
https://www.xtremediesel.com/edge-8...7bUJBrhOyIjxhbsr8F-rs6rTyEgnQJ2BoCfR4QAvD_BwE

Your post is confusing. What are you trying to do? OBD-II is slow and not great for live data... You can surely make something like that work, but the data you can pull from it likely isn't going to be all that useful.

What is your goal here?

Vegas, he's talking about effects of the ecmlink chip on the outgoing data, so I think he's on a stock-ish ecu setup with ecmlink in it.

If that's not the case, OP, please clarify. I am still not entirely sure what you are trying to do... You said you want to use a "digital dash" but not a "logger dash"? If you can be more specific it might help us give you suggestions...

This pic shows two solutions for what you are describing... one of them doesnt require ECMlink. It only logs/displays data for which it has its own sensors to collect it from. In this picture I am in the timed run mode, so its a poor example of the data display capability, but you can research it from here if it looks interesting... The defi only ties into the ecu for a tach and speedo signal.

The ecmlink setup is running on a raspberry pi, and standalone 8" hdmi touchscreen monitor.

20191006_172958-jpg.591083

the car will be a drag car, and street driven sometimes, i want to use a tablet for a dash. i wanted to make sure that the outgoing data will still work from the obd2 port even though i have a v3 chip in the ecu.

i want to do this

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

When I asked Tom Dorris, owner of ECMLink, in 2014 about whether ECMLink impacted obd2 data streaming he said no. So I think you'd be good. However, I've never personally done it. I know our obd2 data rate is abysmal compared to modern ECUs and I'm pretty sure you're going to find the resulting dash gauges won't look that great due to a slow update rate.

I have done what you have pictured but it required an external datalogger to do it (in my case a $600 RaceCapture Pro + tablets). I am dicking around with cracking the data stream so I can send it to something else like the Real Dash app on Android/IOS but I'm only poking around the java at the moment and have no clear cut solution.

When I asked Tom Dorris, owner of ECMLink, in 2014 about whether ECMLink impacted obd2 data streaming he said no. So I think you'd be good. However, I've never personally done it. I know our obd2 data rate is abysmal compared to modern ECUs and I'm pretty sure you're going to find the resulting dash gauges won't look that great due to a slow update rate.

I have done what you have pictured but it required an external datalogger to do it (in my case a $600 RaceCapture Pro + tablets). I am dicking around with cracking the data stream so I can send it to something else like the Real Dash app on Android/IOS but I'm only poking around the java at the moment and have no clear cut solution.

yes i have messaged you about this a few weeks about your setup, you would need something very quick responding for your circuit car, but since mine is for drag racing would the delay be okay? or is it a server delay, like seconds or milliseconds? im using a rpm tac regardless, i just want the tablet for the other parameters, a/f, temp, oil, boost/vac ect

If I recall correctly (and this is coming from when I played with the 2g obd2 implementation in the early 2000s) data rate varied depending on how many data elements you were requesting, and with even a small amount things like RPM were updating very slowly like... twice per second? I don't know, I just remember I felt it was unusable for anything even a dashboard so I dropped the idea of trying to use it. It's cheap enough these days to get an odb2 bluetooth reader and connect to an android app so maybe... try it?

Well I did some googling, seems there was a thread about doing what you're talking about with positive comments:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/torque-app-for-android-obd2.426799/

So go for it and report back!

okay i will be purchasing this app, and a usb to obd2 cable, and a Bluetooth obd2 adapter as well to compare the too,
i will be wiring the usb to obd2 cable directly into the harness that way it can still monitor to tablet and leave obd2 plug open for ecmlink cable

http://realdash.net/index.php

i will report back with my findings!!!

Real Dash is pretty awesome. If I can crack ECMLink's data stream I plan to play with it.
send real dash a message on there site and see what protocol ecmlink uses for data streaming from the obd2 cable, that way the cable can be used with a tablet for realdash, have them call eachother LOL

Last edited:
I randomly ran across this just now:
http://www.spleinonen.com/catalog/dashbox/

Will let you get much higher data resolution since you won't be as limited by our obd2 implementation. A lot more work and money, but overall a better solution, and compatible with RealDash. I know if I was driving my Eclipse on the street I'd try this out.

Note, if you do get this working, I wrote up how to automate a tablet to turn on and go to sleep based on power provided over USB which you'd link to the car's ACC power. You'd have to tweak this for your Real Dash but that's really trivial, and can leave out the wifi enabling and airplane mode automation.
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_Dashboard_Tablet_Automation

I randomly ran across this just now:
http://www.spleinonen.com/catalog/dashbox/

Will let you get much higher data resolution since you won't be as limited by our obd2 implementation. A lot more work and money, but overall a better solution, and compatible with RealDash. I know if I was driving my Eclipse on the street I'd try this out.

Note, if you do get this working, I wrote up how to automate a tablet to turn on and go to sleep based on power provided over USB which you'd link to the car's ACC power. You'd have to tweak this for your Real Dash but that's really trivial, and can leave out the wifi enabling and airplane mode automation.
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_Dashboard_Tablet_Automation

okay that dashbox is sick, i will deff look into that more and see if someone local has something similar, but my BT elm327 showed up today, so ill be abe to try out realdash, im using an ipad pro 11 cuz thats what i have right now to test it with, then i will use a android or windows tablet when im ready

@TSiAWD666 okay so i got in the mail today my Bluetooth obd2 scanner, yea so it was the wrong one for an ipad, but any way. i wanted to know if you could help me here. so that link you sent in the above post is exactly what im looking for, something that splices in directly to the sensors (but not a $1400 digital display), but do you think it would provide a fast accurate response to a table/pc, considering its Bluetooth? or can you help me find another that does the same thing, splice into my sensors and provides a usb connection to maybe a raspi or a tablet, for a much faster response?

This pic shows two solutions for what you are describing... one of them doesnt require ECMlink. It only logs/displays data for which it has its own sensors to collect it from. In this picture I am in the timed run mode, so its a poor example of the data display capability, but you can research it from here if it looks interesting... The defi only ties into the ecu for a tach and speedo signal.

The ecmlink setup is running on a raspberry pi, and standalone 8" hdmi touchscreen monitor.

What version of raspberry are u running and what all does it consist of? Do u just give it power and plug ecm into the USB and then hook up the stand alone monitor? And will the canakit raspberry pi pro 4 starter kit work?

So I just got raspberry pi 4 and a touchscreen monitor and everything to make it work.just wandering what all has to be done to get ecm link on the raspberry. Never used raspberry pi before so not sure if there is a way to download the ecmlink software or how that works. Plan to start hooking it all up this evening. Thanks alot

its a bit tricky. you have to download the linux version, and then manually extract the files onto the SD card for your pi. Then you run the installer (which wont work correctly). But you can launch the executable file after that. If you don't get it, let me know, ill look for my notes on the process!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back