The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G OBD port is not linking up for DSMLink

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tvang87

Probationary Member
May 18, 2021
Hanford, California
I have a question
I try running my DSMLink v3 to my laptop but it says won't link to laptop
Keep saying searching and lost
Lmk what to do next.
Can I rewire the obd port straight to ecu?lmk also
Thanks

Does the boost gauge blip when you turn the car on to show the ecu is operating?

There are several options to consider before running a another wire.

What COM port are you plugging it into?
Does the PC recognize when you plug in the cable?
What COM port do you have selected in the settings for Link?

My car wouldn't connect for the longest time, ended up being a disconnected ground at the ECU.

There are several options to consider before running a another wire.

What COM port are you plugging it into?
Does the PC recognize when you plug in the cable?
What COM port do you have selected in the settings for Link?

My car wouldn't connect for the longest time, ended up being a disconnected ground at the ECU.
I think com3
Pc just says keeping failing to connect and port will says inused.
Com 3
Where the ground ?

Well, I always resort to bumping the starter when trying to connect as one workaround that seems to work for me if Link gives me an issue like that.
SOMETIMES it works. Give it a try. Won't hurt. Or a quick on off on. Both have mixed results.

I think com3
Pc just says keeping failing to connect and port will says inused.
Com 3
Where the ground ?

In your settings on your PC - it would be best to know which COM port you're plugging into when you plug in the USB cable. This will be in your Device Manager/Hardware settings screen, when you plug the LInk cable in, you SHOULD SEE something pop up under USB ports/Ports/something of that nature.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

When I plug my Link cable in, the screen updates and I can see it recognizes the COM port for the USB and mine shows up as COM 4 in my device manager.

Is COM 3 your only option in Link?

Yes it says 3 n 4 I think .but my obd2 port is not getting any power to it

You are going to have to run down the problem with no power/ground to the OBD2 port.

What do you mean by that give me a little run down what I need to do plz

The OBD port has to have power from the ECU. I suspect a broken or cut wire somewhere in the OBD circuit. When you go to start your car, does the Boost gauge flicker at all?

Yes or shoot up all the way with key on and the check engine light is not coming on at all too

Important that the check engine light functions with key on. If you find any wiring issue with that, the OBD port will probably start communicating.
See this thread

Is the problem solved?
Do you have an Anti Theft modul?
( picture ) If yes, you have to inactive it.
There are 2 ways:
Find it, ( above your left knee, inside the dash..good luck to crawl into there. :) ), find the connector, unplug, make a shortcut with the orange and pink wire. Leave unplugged.
Or.. make a direct wire from.obd pink to ecu pink pin . Why?
Because the anti theft modul block the communication with other "alien" tools..like ecmlink. ( at least..I ve sucked with these things)
I've made the 2nd option, and it ran immediately.
( the connection with the ecmlink chip and my laptop)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back