1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G OBD missing on 97 talon

Posted by EvolDSM, Nov 23, 2020

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. EvolDSM

EvolDSM Probationary Member

Joined Nov 14, 2020
    milford, New Hampshire
    if i have a black box ecu i should still have a obd port right? i think someone cut it out for some od reason. what harness do i need to replace or...how do i wire it in? im completely lost so is my mechanic.

2. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    It's located up under the steering column to the right of the steering wheel. You pretty much have to lay on your back to see it.

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

4K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  3. Dreams Realized

Dreams Realized Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2018
    Seattle, Washington
    On that same token it only "pops" into the metal bracket that holds it in the location @ErikTande describes. If you still can't find it there pull off the plastic kicker panel on the side of your center console. It has 2 screws. It is possible it got tucked back behind there.

Removing OBD port would likely result in alot of electronic failures, so it should still be there it's just hiding

Street Build 1K  4

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    There are only a few wires that connect to the obd port, if you need to you can go to a junk yard and pull one out and wire it in, it wires to the ecu and +12v and ground and if you have an automatic you might have a wire for the tcu in there.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Some where, Colorado
    If you don't want to splice one in, you'll have to replace the entire harness, and I believe it's the lower dash harness that you see only once you pull the dash out. It also has the ETACS and Alarm system attached to the same harness. Can be a huge pain to remove and install with all the plugs in the right orientation.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM