The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

O2 sensor and wideband

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00zt3d spyd3r

Proven Member
Feb 25, 2016
Lawton, Oklahoma
Okay I've gathered the info I need and I will be putting oem o2 sensor back in front. Taking the wide and sensor out and doing the narrow band simulation. Got the ecu pin out and know which wire I'm tapping into. But my question is... After doing this will I need to retune seeing that I don't have the front oem o2 sensor in?

This doesn't make sense to me...unless I am missing something. Why are you taking the wideband out and putting the OEM sensor back in front to do narrow band simulation? IIRC, the narrow band simulation is when you wire the wideband in to the appropriate pin, but indicate the appropriate switch point for the ECU to read it just like the OEM narrowband. That said, to answer your final question, if done correct, you should not need to retune, as the ECU will read almost identical to the narrowband. I say almost as there are few times when swapping something like this will be 100% accurate. But it should not require retuning.

This doesn't make sense to me...unless I am missing something. Why are you taking the wideband out and putting the OEM sensor back in front to do narrow band simulation? IIRC, the narrow band simulation is when you wire the wideband in to the appropriate pin, but indicate the appropriate switch point for the ECU to read it just like the OEM narrowband. That said, to answer your final question, if done correct, you should not need to retune, as the ECU will read almost identical to the narrowband. I say almost as there are few times when swapping something like this will be 100% accurate. But it should not require retuning.
The oem front o2 sensor was removed and replaced with the wideband gauge causing a cel and to stay in open loop causing it to run rich. Removing wideband sensor to put in oem sensor to get rid of cel and hopefully stop burning through so much fuel.

Ok. Did you not wire in the wideband for it to get the feedback of the front O2 sensor after you installed the wideband? If not, then you are only getting one signal from the aft O2 sensor. In this case, I would just wire in the wideband for narrow band simulation and you should be good to go! Just make sure you get everything setup in link as needed. If you don't have link (or something to configure the ECU to use the right signal), then this will NOT work.

Ok. Did you not wire in the wideband for it to get the feedback of the front O2 sensor after you installed the wideband? If not, then you are only getting one signal from the aft O2 sensor. In this case, I would just wire in the wideband for narrow band simulation and you should be good to go! Just make sure you get everything setup in link as needed. If you don't have link (or something to configure the ECU to use the right signal), then this will NOT work.
No the previous owner hooked it up like this. They cut the oem o2 sensor wires between the connector and the sensor and took out the sensor and replaced it with the wideband sensor. Then they ran the narrowband wire to one of the cut wires from the oem o2 sensor. This is why I'm trying to do it right and be able to get rid of cel also

Also I don't have link yet stuck with safc-2. The code I'm getting with cel is p0135 o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank one sensor one. So it is not getting signal from front o2

Yes...if you do not have link, then you need to put your front O2 sensor back in and wire it back in properly. You can have an additional O2 sensor bung welded into your exhaust for the wideband. As I mentioned, if you don't have link or an aftermarket ECU source, you cannot tell the ECU to simulate the narrowband using the wideband output. So for now, your only option is what I just said about putting the front O2 sensor back in and installing a new bung for the wideband.

Yes...if you do not have link, then you need to put your front O2 sensor back in and wire it back in properly. You can have an additional O2 sensor bung welded into your exhaust for the wideband. As I mentioned, if you don't have link or an aftermarket ECU source, you cannot tell the ECU to simulate the narrowband using the wideband output. So for now, your only option is what I just said about putting the front O2 sensor back in and installing a new bung for the wideband.
Yeah I have a new bung to have welded in... Was trying to hold off on that for a Lil while but may have to just get it done... I have stock o2 housing. Where should I have new bung welded in?

It does not need to be 36" from the turbo. FYI. I would get it close to the turbo, but if you are on a stock o2 housing, try to get it in your downpipe (if it's aftermarket). If not, I would wait until you go aftermarket on the o2 housing or the downpipe and have it added.

^^^very interesting. Never heard that in the 15 years I've been messing with cars. I've heard the farther down the exhaust stream the more skewed the numbers can be. The farthest I have ever placed wideband O2 sensor from the turbo was about 14" on my Evo. It was stilling going just fine after 30k miles. This was with 91 craptane, 91+meth, 100 octane, 104 octane, 112 leaded and E85 fuels. I'd much rather replace an $80 O2 sensor than a $3000+ built motor!

Lol, not getting in a needless debate. I guess if if I don't follow a written guideline it's wrong...then go read the ECMlink wiki and how they had their wideband in the o2 housing for tons of miles on a road race car with no failures. I guess I better be more careful and follow the manual more in the future instead of doing what's been tried and tested on our specific vehicles for better accuracy and ECU response. :applause:

Meh, I'll go by what the DSMLink founders say and put my lc2 in the stock o2 location. After all, a lot companies put crap in their instructions to cover their ass when the product breaks. Did you look at it wrong? Yeah, sorry we can't warranty that o2 sensor we sold you because it can't be looked at in an improper way.

Run the oem sensor in the stock location. All you need to do is solder in a new plug for the o2 sensor on the wiring harness side, install the o2 sensor.. Weld on an exhaust bung in your downpipe in the gap between the engine and firewall, put your wideband there. It will cost you $15-$20 to get the bung and have someone weld it.

You don't have DSMLink so how are you going to simulate the front o2?

Run the oem sensor in the stock location. All you need to do is solder in a new plug for the o2 sensor on the wiring harness side, install the o2 sensor.. Weld on an exhaust bung in your downpipe in the gap between the engine and firewall, put your wideband there. It will cost you $15-$20 to get the bung and have someone weld it.

You don't have DSMLink so how are you going to simulate the front o2?
I'm not... Didn't realize simulating depends on link. Just gonna have a new bung welded in and put wideband in it and own sensor back up front

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back