The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

O2 Housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iloveboost

Proven Member
Jul 25, 2014
Vacaville, California
I am starting to finalize my parts list for my 99 gst build. I am new to turbo and tuner cars but I am trying to learn as much as possible. I have selected an FP HTA68 (internal wastegate) w/ FP Manifold and VRSF FMIC. I have read that some down pipes replace the O2 housing (and have there own O2 bung) and some do not. I was looking at a megan downpipe (and megan 3" catback) and they have informed me that their downpipe mounts to the stock O2 housing.

Is it true that there are downpipes that replace the O2 housing? Is there any benefit one way or another?

If I do have to keep the O2 housing will a replacement EVO III housing be sufficient to support the HTA68?

I see some O2 housing have wastegate dump tubes, how do those work and what is the benefit of using one?

Thanks

I've never seen a down pipe that replaces a dsm o2 housing. I have seen them fabbed up with for larger vband turbos with wastegates on the exhaust manifold, but imo the most practical solution for your setup would be to go with a tubular o2 housing such as what punishment racing offers.

I am starting to finalize my parts list for my 99 gst build. I am new to turbo and tuner cars but I am trying to learn as much as possible. I have selected an FP HTA68 (internal wastegate) w/ FP Manifold and VRSF FMIC. I have read that some down pipes replace the O2 housing (and have there own O2 bung) and some do not. I was looking at a megan downpipe (and megan 3" catback) and they have informed me that their downpipe mounts to the stock O2 housing.

Is it true that there are downpipes that replace the O2 housing? Is there any benefit one way or another?

If I do have to keep the O2 housing will a replacement EVO III housing be sufficient to support the HTA68?

I see some O2 housing have wastegate dump tubes, how do those work and what is the benefit of using one?

Thanks
it depends on the turbo you are running whether you will have an o2 housing. the hta68 has a dsm 5bolt housing flange so you would be able to run the evo 3 just fine. i have an open dump wastegate on my 16g and it just expells the gases instead of recirculating into the exhaust. it helps control boost a lil better and is very loud under full boost.[DOUBLEPOST=1414016446][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've never seen a down pipe that replaces a dsm o2 housing. I have seen them fabbed up with for larger vband turbos with wastegates on the exhaust manifold, but imo the most practical solution for your setup would be to go with a tubular o2 housing such as what punishment racing offers.
i was also going to say check out what punishment racing has to offer they have some great stuff for great prices.

it depends on the turbo you are running whether you will have an o2 housing. the hta68 has a dsm 5bolt housing flange so you would be able to run the evo 3 just fine. i have an open dump wastegate on my 16g and it just expells the gases instead of recirculating into the exhaust. it helps control boost a lil better and is very loud under full boost.[DOUBLEPOST=1414016446][/DOUBLEPOST]
i was also going to say check out what punishment racing has to offer they have some great stuff for great prices.

Ok. So I looked at the 38mm Punishment Racing O2 Housing. Here are my questions?

When you say that a wastegate dump tube controls boost better, how does that work? Are we talking about reducing boost creep?

Will the punishment racing unit flow more than the EVO III?

When you say loud, what does that mean? Are you taking about the turbo whine spool noise or does it make a different sound?

Sorry. I won't be a newbie forever..... I hope :)

Thank You!

When you say loud, what does that mean? Are you taking about the turbo whine spool noise or does it make a different sound?

Its like having an open exhaust every time your waste gate opens, its very obnoxious draws attention from cops and scares the crap out of people when you drive by , LOL I got sick of mine really quick. The EVO III o2 housing flange is at a different angle than the DSM housing and doesn't work with most downpipes unless you modify them.

I like the punishment racing housing a lot, the only down side is that it is very loud, it isn't too noticeable in the car... With the windows up and some music and stuff, but it's REALLY loud if you're standing outside,a lot of people who have never seen an atmosphere dump will always say that I need to fix my exhaust leak, LOL.but I've had friends tell me it's alot quieter in my car than it is in their car even though they have a recirculated exhaust systems. It works really well, but it does have some wierd side effects like If I'm on the freeway doing 60ish the wastegates will constantly flap opening and closingso that's kinda annoying to listen to.

Ok. So I looked at the 38mm Punishment Racing O2 Housing. Here are my questions?

When you say that a wastegate dump tube controls boost better, how does that work? Are we talking about reducing boost creep?

Will the punishment racing unit flow more than the EVO III?

Sorry. I won't be a newbie forever..... I hope :)

Thank You!

A dump tube prevents boost creep but its loud as balls and attracts a lot of attention. Youtube "open dump" you'll see what everyone is saying.

The Evo III O2 housing is angled differently so most downpipes won't just bolt up to it. There's only one company that makes downpipes flanged for Evo III o2 housings which is road race engineering and last time I checked (a month ago) they were backordered. Another bit of advice confirm with Megan that their downpipes are actually 3" they told me their last batch was off in fitment if you go that route.

Btw, I have work in Fairfield this weekend - let me know if you need clarification on anything I could swing by and show you what I'm talking about

A dump tube doesn't always prevent boost creep. Punishment racing also makes a recirculated o2 housing.

I've never seen a down pipe that replaces a dsm o2 housing.

CX Racing make a DSM o2 eliminator downpipe but I don't know if its any good.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 114
I wouldnt get an open dump o2 housing that uses the stock wastegate. Unless I had the boost controller turned all the way up, it just sounded like a big exhaust leak. With an external gate its alright. Plus, its only open when you're under boost, so just don't go into full boost around cops.

And thats true about the evo 3 o2 housing. You can have the downpipe flange cut and rewelded at the right angle, but its easier to just get a tubular piece.

[/QUOTE]CX Racing make a DSM o2 eliminator downpipe but I don't know if its any good.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's news to me LOL. Its interesting, but i'd honestly rather have it separate for the freedom of changing setups.

If I were you, id run a punishment racing recirculated o2 housing and a 3 inch down pipe. A dump tube has its time and place but does not necessarily cure boost creep and will get very annoying very fast with an internally gated hta68. EvoIII o2 housings are a good upgrade over stock, but most likely still flow less than a tubular setup. There are other quality o2 housings on the market, but stay away from the ebay crap. It will crack out in a matter of months.

I wouldnt get an open dump o2 housing that uses the stock wastegate. Unless I had the boost controller turned all the way up, it just sounded like a big exhaust leak. With an external gate its alright. Plus, its only open when you're under boost, so just don't go into full boost around cops.

And thats true about the evo 3 o2 housing. You can have the downpipe flange cut and rewelded at the right angle, but its easier to just get a tubular piece.

I will probably get the recirculated punishment one that will work without modifying the downpipe. I want to be able to swap the turbo back (with the least amount of effort) for the entire original system for smog purposes.

I'd upgrade the wastegate. Either get a holset wastegate or an external recirculated. If you go either route, you'll be able to hold your target boost to redline. With the stock wastegate on my old e16g, it would spike to 32PSI, then fall to 24PSI by redline.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back