The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

O2 housing swap now DP hits T case

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXftw

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2009
Medford, Oregon
I have a 3 inch downpipe, it was mated to a ported stock O2 housing, worked fine. I swapped to an O2 housing that I bought second hand, its made for external dumping the internal wastegate, it came off a 2g and I was told it might be punishment racing. I put an EWG on this. Well its together and fits, but my downpipe is pretty tweaked now, its up against the transfer case, which I think is making phantom knock. I cant tell if its an evo O2H and maybe thats why? I know the evo housings put the DP at a different angle, and the bolt pattern is different, but HOW is it different? is that the angle it pushes your DP? Cause from what Ive read it doesnt look like an evo O2H will even bolt up or come close to working without the right DP, Mine bolted up okay just sits a little differently. Hard to see in the pic but the O2 sensor placement is a little different, it actually points towards the back, might not of even cleared but I just cut it off (im on sim O2)

Attachments

• 205738_10151261713249646_1934318507_n.jpg
    205738_10151261713249646_1934318507_n.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 99
i have the same problem, i went to a smaller turbo and it moved my Downpipe just enough that its resting against the transfer case. im cutting and rewelding my Downpipe to fit.

Yes, with an Evo3 O2 housing it'll make your DP hit your tcase. Its not so much the pattern is different, moreso the angle that the DP flange is at. Dependant on if/where your flex section it will determine how much or how close it is to your Tcase.

Now, being that its aftermaket, it could be that the wastegate is bigger than the one it was originally built for, therefore changing the angle of the flange slightly and causeing it to hit your Tcase. Without knowing the brand and specs for that specific O2 housing, it'd be fairly hard to be certain though.

-Jake

i have the same problem, i went to a smaller turbo and it moved my Downpipe just enough that its resting against the transfer case. im cutting and rewelding my Downpipe to fit.

Probably what Ill do too. Is that just on 1g stuff or what configuration O2H is that?

Yes, with an Evo3 O2 housing it'll make your DP hit your tcase. Its not so much the pattern is different, moreso the angle that the DP flange is at. Dependant on if/where your flex section it will determine how much or how close it is to your Tcase.

Now, being that its aftermaket, it could be that the wastegate is bigger than the one it was originally built for, therefore changing the angle of the flange slightly and causeing it to hit your Tcase. Without knowing the brand and specs for that specific O2 housing, it'd be fairly hard to be certain though.

-Jake

So I could have an evo style O2 housing is what youre saying? Cause its not ridiculously off or I wouldnt have put it together, but definitely different than the 1g housing that came off. I havent been able to find any pics of what it actually looks like when you mate an evo housing to dsm DP

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back