The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

O2 housing and external wastegate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antlip

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 8, 2005
browns mills, New_Jersey
A buddy and I are having an argument over this. Do you use an O2 housing with an external wastegate like a tial? Or can you port them if you do keep the O2 housing?

if u have an external wastegate u would just need a downpipe, because the external gate will have a dumptube. the o2 housing can have dumptube with it but thats just to dump from the internal wastegate but the reason we have an o2 housing is so our internally gated turbo can dump the 02 back into the exhaust. if this helps please give me some rep so i can become a proven member n sell stuff LOL.

i guess u dint get ## question right
u can either make a hole on ## o2 housing and plug in a tial there, port the internal wastegate hole well
or u can , make a hole on the manifold itself to plug in the tial
or u can get an aftermarket o2 housing to fit tial or aftermarket manifold

So if I got a tial wastegate and put it onto my exhaust manifold i dont have to delete the o2 housing? What would be the best way of doing this?

antlip said:
So if I got a tial wastegate and put it onto my exhaust manifold i dont have to delete the o2 housing? What would be the best way of doing this?

You can't delete the o2 housing. The o2 housing is for the turbine outlet and the wastegate outlet. If you run an external on the exhaust manifold, you have to weld the wastegate port of your turbo shut. You will still need an o2 housing for the turbine outlet.

The best way would be to get a SBR manifold with the Tail 38mm flange, get a Tail 38mm flange, weld the wastegate shut on your turbo and then get a regular o2 housing. - This would be a manifold mounted external wastegate external dump setup (unless you reroute it).

The other way would be to get a regular 2G manifold and get an o2 housing that has a mount for a Tail 38mm wastegate. www.122performance.com, www.victoryperformance.com and www.straightlinespecialties.com sells these o2 housings. - This would be a o2 mounted external wastegate external dump or rerouted o2 setup depending on which o2 housing you buy.

DGajre777 said:
You can't delete the o2 housing. The o2 housing is for the turbine outlet and the wastegate outlet. If you run an external on the exhaust manifold, you have to weld the wastegate port of your turbo shut. You will still need an o2 housing for the turbine outlet.

The best way would be to get a SBR manifold with the Tail 38mm flange, get a Tail 38mm flange, weld the wastegate shut on your turbo and then get a regular o2 housing. - This would be a manifold mounted external wastegate external dump setup (unless you reroute it).

The other way would be to get a regular 2G manifold and get an o2 housing that has a mount for a Tail 38mm wastegate. www.122performance.com, www.victoryperformance.com and www.straightlinespecialties.com sells these o2 housings. - This would be a o2 mounted external wastegate external dump or rerouted o2 setup depending on which o2 housing you buy.

Thank you. That cleared up alot. I was looking into a bigger turbo set up. One that would be externally gated. Im going to have to do alot more research on the tial "MM", what turbo size I want, what exhaust manifold I want, and into that o2 housing.

Your first question should be, Do you want to dump to atmosphere? External wastegate dumps or o2 dumps are loud and if you have emissions in your state you will not pass it.
This is an external wastegate mounted on o2 with a dump -
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you need it to be rerouted, I'd go with an external wastegate mounted on a o2 housing. If you get this o2 housing or the o2 housing above, you can keep your stock 2G exhaust manifold and just port it to a 7cm gasket.
This is the rerouted o2 housing with external wastegate -

The pics above show an HKS gate, but if you get any size tail you can send it to www.122performance.com and they will make a rerouted o2 housing for you. 122 is the cheapest o2 making company out there. All other ones are SS, of high quality and are $300+.

And if you have $999, this would be a very good setup. Some people don't recommend this on a daily driven car, but I've seen a few daily driven cars with this setup. It is the DNP external wastegate upgrade kit from www.dnperformance.com

One more thing, the size of Tail external wastegate does not depend on the size of turbo that you get. It depends on the amount of boost that you want to bypass. For example, if you get a 50 trim and will be running 15+ psi on it, you can get a 38mm tail. If you want to run 10 psi on the same turbo, you'll need a 40mm or bigger external wastegate.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but this would be the best place to get my question answered. I had a very similar question to the original poster:

So if I was running an ext wastegate on my manifold but had a regular o2 housing this wouldn't hurt my exhaust flow? The reason I ask is because although your wastegate flapper will be welded shut, the rerouted part of the o2 housing will leave a hole open in the way of the main turbine exhaust flow. I was wondering if the gases coming out of the turbine will just pass by this hole or will it cause a turbulence? I hope my question makes sense, if not Ill try to clarify. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but this would be the best place to get my question answered. I had a very similar question to the original poster:

So if I was running an ext wastegate on my manifold but had a regular o2 housing this wouldn't hurt my exhaust flow? The reason I ask is because although your wastegate flapper will be welded shut, the rerouted part of the o2 housing will leave a hole open in the way of the main turbine exhaust flow. I was wondering if the gases coming out of the turbine will just pass by this hole or will it cause a turbulence? I hope my question makes sense, if not Ill try to clarify. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

I had an o2 dump on my car and when I switched to an external gate off the manifold I cut off the dump and welded that hole shut. This is going to be harder with a regular recirculated o2 housing but can be done.

I had an o2 dump on my car and when I switched to an external gate off the manifold I cut off the dump and welded that hole shut. This is going to be harder with a regular recirculated o2 housing but can be done.
Yea true it can be done but I don't want to mess with it! It looks so sexy the way it is and I rather not hack up such a beautiful piece. How bad will it be if I just kept the recirculated o2 the way it is?

I don't think you would notice a difference. But I am all about making the parts of my car work perfectly with eachother.

I recently installed a 16g and as every body else's its creeping I have been looking at different options about going external i was thinking new turbo mani with and external wg flange but the only ones iv been able to find are flanged for T3 however i did also find an adapter plate for T3/16g flange i was wondering if i went with this setup seeing how the adapter does take up space it would essentially lower my turbo any one know if i would run into problems with my downpipe mating up flat or my o2 housing .........also the second route iv been looking at that looks easiest n most practice is an o2 housing with WG flange i found some with a small section of flex pipe right after the wg and some with out and found some that dump and some that recirculate? whats the difference? and any advantages or disadvantages 2 dumping........... im from WI and emissions aren't a problem.....

If you search you will find a bunch of threads on dumping vs. recirculating. Some say that you will see zero difference, and some say it is a very mild difference. On my big 16G setup, a ssac dumper O2 housing helped only a little with boost creep. Sometimes it helps but every setup is different. And every internal wastegate can differ with spring tension and how the arm/flapper combination is fabricated into the hotside of the turbo.

Read this for your answer to dump or not dump
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/182232-dump-not-dump.html

Here is a link for a turbo manifold/wastegate setup.

Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: Mitsubishi :: DSM :: Exhaust :: HAFE Performance Cast S.S. 7cm DSM Manifold w/ 38mm WG Prevision

If you want to mount your wastegate on the O2 punishment and slowboy make some nice setups. Here are a couple more links.

Slowboy:
Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: Mitsubishi :: DSM :: Exhaust :: O2 Housings :: SBR :: SBR 2.5" S.S. O2 and Dump Tube for Tial 44mm
Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: Mitsubishi :: DSM :: Exhaust :: O2 Housings :: SBR :: SBR DSM 2.5" S.S. O2 and Dump Tube for 38mm Wastegate

Punishment:
o2 Housings

If you have any more questions let us know. Also ensure you read all of the posts in the thread. Some of the information you were asking about is posted above. I personally use the Punishment setup with the dumper and a 38MM Tial and I love it. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back