The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Not your basic no start question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontime

Probationary Member
Nov 15, 2015
CHALMETTE, Louisiana
So, I'm new on the forum, been lurking on and off for years, and not new to dsm by any stretch. I got a 95 talon w/1g head, coil on plug, manual swap, 16g, 255 walbro....anyways, got fuel, got spark, timing lines up, and a fresh battery, all I can get is a backfire but no start, compression test is next on the list. It drove fine last night, I popped my uic apart at the bov, and put it back on and drove home, now this happens and it's a little confusing

Last edited:
Did you boost leak test? You may have another leak
I don't have a leak tester, but I did re-check everything from the j-pipe to tb, the compression tester I got didn't have the right fitting so now I have to find another one of those

I poured got water in too to try to warm up the coolant temp sensor. No luck

So you were driving it and the uic blew off at the bov, right? Was that because of a backfire? I agree with the boost leak test. I'd also check the causes for the backfires. This could be clogged cat, if you have one, cas timing is off, no spark or too little spark. Did you check that each of the coils/plugs is firing?

There was no backfire when I popped it off, just got a little boost happy, pulled over put it back on and it fired right up. Drove it home fine. When I tried to start it this morning I started getting the backfire, no emissions here so I'm open 3" turbo back with an open dump on the wg. Pulled the plugs and they're wet, I think from me tryin to crank it, but it definitely shows there's fuel

Did you crank the motor full throttle/clear flood mode to see if it would hit?
Easy & worth a try....

You said the plugs were wet. Wet with fuel, not water, right? Let's see what compression comes back as. Still leaning towards spark. Any chance something got knocked loose when you were buttoning it all back together?

Did you crank the motor full throttle/clear flood mode to see if it would hit?

It's my understanding that isn't a feature provided by the stock ECU software. It is something DSMLink added.

If the plugs got fouled, pull the MFI fuse and run your compression test, which should clear the cylinders, then replace the fuse and put a fresh set of plugs in.

did you change anything? like a 1g cas from 2g on a 95 ecu? firing order is different. you should have a code for a misfire. or the coils are wired wrong maybe

Anyway you could get the COP order off? Sounds similar to getting spark plug wires mixed up.
Cant get it wrong if you tried, I have them mounted on a plate, straight on straight off.

You said the plugs were wet. Wet with fuel, not water, right? Let's see what compression comes back as. Still leaning towards spark. Any chance something got knocked loose when you were buttoning it all back together?
Definitely fuel, i looked to see i I knocked anything loose, not that lucky

No new parts were added and nothing has been changed recently other than my oil, thats the frustrating part, but hopefully i can get the right adapter for this compression tester today and update with the numbers, new plugs are going in when i do the compression test, and it turns smooth turning it by hand, checked that when i was checking timing

If you have ECMLink check the CAS setting to make sure it's right and didn't somehow change. I'm leaning towards spark too. If you drove it home it's not likely to lose compression over night, and your plugs are wet with fuel, so the only part of the equation left is spark. The backfire makes me think something is up with either the CAS, a setting in the ECM, or an issue with the COP.

no ecmlink for me, i have no option to change ecm settings, so i can rule that out, my turbo seals are about shot, and i do blow a little oil. Maybe i'm reading too far into it and new plugs will help later

So the compression tester i got was garbage, and would not hold , but i was watching the gauge and had somebody crank for me, looking at the engine left to right numbers were 120,90,60,0. fml. went back to cyl 1 and it was still 120, i know the numbers are low from the shit tester, but i still have a dead cyclinder. it barely pushes any air out of the spark plug hole. So off with her head, maybe i put on a new gasket, maybe i salvage turbo parts and put them on my 2jz, fack

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back