The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome man. Can’t wait for updates. As far as mine the interior is completely stripped, installing the non-broken black dash today, cleaning mold and grime from the floor and spraying it with rubberized undercoating.
That's funny I'm actually doing the same thing to my GSX. Be wary though, in my experience undercoating only masks the problem. I'd reccommend you sand down the spots decently and put down some rust paint. Rust paint has rust inhibitors mixed in that makes them ideal for this kind of job. I'm even considering using the rust paint to the underside of the eclipse instead of undercoating.

Rear bumper painted, spoiler installed.
20191021_172802.jpg

P, P&P manifold. (painted, ported and polished)
20191021_172624.jpg

My busted "black box".
20191021_172541.jpg

My newly painted fuel rail.
20191020_125654.jpg

Here's a better shot of the paint on the manifold. I was worried trying to grind away the upper seam would cause an issue, but the rest turned out great.
20191020_125604.jpg

Also I finally installed the custom side marker lights.
20191019_225621.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got the lights hooked up, wheel well covers installed, engine bay assembled and cleaned up, swept the shop floor etc etc. The car is looking nice, I can't wait to continue with it.

I started it up in the driveway, and immediately the engine settled down to the 750 rpm idle like its supposed to. No more idle surging. I took it on a little cruise. I decided to take it on the interstate this evening to see how much better it feels. It actually had me excited. Runs so much smoother now. Throttle response is awesome. No more sputtering. I really enjoyed myself and the car this evening. It works like a charm. It's not terribly faster, but it is smooth and fun to drive regardless.

Last edited:
Exterior progress pictures. Still a few loose ends to tie up. Definitely time for cut & buff. You'll notice the exhaust tip is not stock. That ugly part was cut off and a stainless bit added. This, just until I buy an actual exhaust system.

bestrear.jpg
bestfront.jpg

Last edited:
How much for the mustang in the background LOL? 65 or 66 I am thinking from what I can see? Great build man and looking good!
Thanks man!

It's a 1965 with 302 crate engine. But that car's not gonna be here long, come pick it up if you want to drive this far!

It might be a little while before I purchase these things since I don't have a ton of cash in-hand, but I wanted to go ahead and take note. This is sort of my wishlist, I figure if I type it here it's a way to remember and remind me.

First, I'm getting a GoPro Hero. I will use this to do videos of the project, slow motion shots, and all the other jazz and I'm planning to put it on YouTube.

Second, I'm getting a full cat-back exhaust system. I currently have everything pre-cat. But I want to have the full system modified for top power gains and a better sound.

Third, I'm getting a 3 gauge cluster. I find it a necessity to monitor my oil pressure, especially since I didn't replace the oil pump :sosad:. Not sure about the other gauges yet, but I'll figure it out.

Fourth, or this should have been first on the list, but whatever. Full detail inside and out of the car. I might just strip the full interior down to clean every square inch. And there's still some dirty parts underneath the car that need de-greasing and possibly coating. I'm not trying to go show car status, but I want to be damn close!

And I know damn well that there's something or many things that I'm forgetting here. But good things come in time, I must be patient.

Last edited:
My next step after just getting it running right is paint. I will have full photos of that process, and also I want the GoPro for video steps of it, the iPhone just doesn’t do the quality. Going for clean daily driver here. But really damn clean. Lol. I have an aftermarket exhaust on it now, but also picked up a 3” turbo back exhaust I will be bolting on once it’s road ready

My next step after just getting it running right is paint. I will have full photos of that process, and also I want the GoPro for video steps of it, the iPhone just doesn’t do the quality. Going for clean daily driver here. But really damn clean. Lol. I have an aftermarket exhaust on it now, but also picked up a 3” turbo back exhaust I will be bolting on once it’s road ready
Update your build thread man! I wanna see!

Dead ass just read through your entire build and damn man. Good job. My question is what paint setup did you use? I bought my spyder and the previous owner got a sh**ty 10 Footer paintjob on it. So that's one of my main prioritys
Thank you for your support man! I appreciate it!

I am using an HVLP spray gun (Central Pneumatic) on a commercial air compressor (Craftsman) with a moisture remover filter. Sprayed at 30 psi.

Any specific questions you have? Or did that cover it?

Thank you for your support man! I appreciate it!

I am using an HVLP spray gun (Central Pneumatic) on a commercial air compressor (Craftsman) with a moisture remover filter. Sprayed at 30 psi.

Any specific questions you have? Or did that cover it?
Only Question is What grit did you wet sand with ect. Iv read and watched 1000 videos about it and the grits change from video to video

To remove old paint, clear, and rust, 220 on an electric sander dry works well. Then spray primer. After primer is cured wet sand with 600 to remove imperfections. Then spray paint. Wait a couple weeks, then wet sand with 2500, then 3000 before buffing.

I left out many steps of the painting process here of course, I was only covering the sanding stages.

To remove old paint, clear, and rust, 220 on an electric sander dry works well. Then spray primer. After primer is cured wet sand with 600 to remove imperfections. Then spray paint. Wait a couple weeks, then wet sand with 2500, then 3000 before buffing.

I left out many steps of the painting process here of course, I was only covering the sanding stages.
Im pretty decent painting but i still wanted to ask about the sanding

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back