The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Not the typical shifting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
TRE stage 2.5 with quaife, double sycros in 1-2 and 2-3
ACT 2900 (great shape and all other clutches had same shifting perf.
correct redline fuid in trans
master and slave are replaced about 1 time a year together or so
blead properly i'm 100% sure
new clutch pivot arm and ball a year ago
bushing/bearing in cables at trans and shifter
NO symbrorsli kit though

I'm 100% sure the trans is capable of shifting at the speeds i see people like twicks69 and others shifting at 8000rpm or so (which is really quick and like they were just out gettign grocerries for effort it seems)

PROBLEM = When i need to shift fast for timed performance, I feel as if i;m locked out of the gear for a second then it goes, but when i'm not under poressure i can shift at up to 6k really fast and easy with little effort

HELP! LOL Are the symbrorski bearings the missin link or am I in need of driver improvement.. I'm 34 years old and been driving motorcycles since 8 and driving since 14-15 all my cars have been manuals and this seems to be how they shift no matter what :( and i always see others able to shift really well so i'm thinking there's something i need to learn

Last edited:
dman, nothing? Well, here I shortened the whole post in case no one wants to read all that, was just trying to be thorough :(

I kind of have a problem with mine shifting at higher rpms. I have a stage 3 shep trans with all the upgrades, bushing kit throughout. What kind of flywheel are you using? Check Road Race Engineering ( RRE's Clutch And Flywheel Tech Info ) look towards the bottom of the page. I'm using the stock flywheel on my car and am going to see if i need to shim the fork out.

i have the same problem in my n/t LOL. only thing i have is a short through though. i just use more force?

lightweight flywheel would help i imagine, engine revs would drop faster between shifts, therefore being closer to "rev matching" the next gear.

my turbo n/t had the sombroski kit and it didn't have that problem at all. the kit really helps. in fact i could shift so fast i would be at full boost the whole time, and it felt like butter. which ended up being a problem because then i would spin in the next gear (from full boost after the clutch let off) =P

Glenn, doubt very much if it's the tranny. You're probably worried about missing the shift which makes you hesitate.

With your car though, why worry about quick shifts. You'll catch up fast. let them have a little head start. LOL

On edit, what tranny fluid are you using, just saw another post with the same problems and he jus switched oil and it solved the problem.

I also had the same problem in my last 2g. Would always hesitate and that was with the Shep stage 1 trans and ACT 2600. I had all SS lines, symborski kit, and bearings. It was my trans that couldn't hold up. Tore it apart and it was eaten away.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC HD2 using tapatalk

I have the fidanza 9lb flywheel (pretty new) And i run the redline synthetic TRE recomends

Today i played around and fot some nice fast shifts (but not at redline RPM'
s) and was ablwe to keep boost between gears

the problem with catching them later with speed is i have waitng on the tuirbo to spool again especially when i do the 2-3 shift

Well, I solved the issue.. I tried the symbrorski bushing siwth no luck, then started going through everything and found that the bushings in the cable ends at the trans were worn and actually sticking a little. I tossed in a set of skateboard bearings and all is good now!!!!!!

Thanks for the help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back