The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Not really sure what I'm thinking.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
This isn't really one of those "I quitting DSM's" threads. It's more like a I need encouragement and need to vent thread. I've had my Talon for many years and she's never given any problems I couldn't handle. However I'm sitting here thinking about all the things I need to fix. Not because the car doesn't run/drive but simply because I'm not happy with them. Here's a small list off the top of my head:

It needs rear AWD calipers. Currently using FWD ones adapted over but the parking brake isn't right and hangs when I use it.

It needs new parking brake cables because the left one broke after the caliper decided to hang up on me.

The rear struts are blown. Again.

The trans isn't the best either. It pops out of reverse sometimes and grinds 3rd at high rpm.

The gas tank need to come out so i can fix the sending unit studs but I'm afraid to touch the bolts because of the rust.

Rust rust and more rust. I just finished fixing the rocker panels and quarter panels and this past winter has put two new holes in my rockers and I've got some bubbling in the quarters again. I wish i could get new panels and just be done with patching holes. Plus the whole underside is covered in rust despite all the scraping and undercoating I did last summer.

The motor is slowing down. Cracked 199000 today on the way home. My last compression test was about 140 with the lowest cylinder being 135. Not good but she still pulls.

None of this is anything really major other than the rust but it's little things that annoy me about the car and it's things I just can't find the time or funds to fix.
When I first bought this car I had so many plans for her. Over the years my plans have shifted towards family and my kid. Got another on the way BTW:hellyeah::hellyeah:. I think I'm starting to realize that I will never be able to afford to build a motor, get a huge turbo, or even get a body shop to fix the holes properly so they don't come back a year later. I've thought about everything from getting a better shell, to completely getting out. I can't picture getting out though. I love these stupid cars way to much to ever stop. I guess I'm just kind of rambling here

It seems like you are still determined to bring your car to the standard that you want it to be at, but you have other priorities to deal with. If you had another car to use as a daily, I would say to put the Talon in the attic until your upcoming things get settled in, but maybe this is not an option either. Regardless, I would say try your best not to have to let the car go, because once things settle down in a couple of years, you will probably be kicking yourself with regret.

Congrats on the offspring by the way!!

This is why I will never procreate or stay in a relationship very long. I don't know that I would be able to pay attention to the kids and the girl usually can't stand the fact I care more about my project/s than her.

I hope you can either find a shell or get her into a body shop. Good luck!

I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I haven't spent tons of money on it but lots of time has been spent so i guess the attachment to the car is more emotional than anything. I don't have a garage to keep it at and it is my DD. I have been looking for another DD to get around but I keep looking for other DSMs LOL. My buddy says I can keep it at his garage for as long as I need to. I don't like the area the garage is in and i fear I'd constantly be worrying about it. Theirs just so much stuff I want to get done and having to DD it kills any chance of having it down for more than few days. For example I want to tear the front suspension apart and sandblast and paint everything. I have a 4 bolt swap that's been sitting on my cart at work for months. I still haven't put in my last 2 poly bushings or fixed the broken rear sway bar link that I can't seem to find the parts for. I've got a nice short block sitting at work that i want to freshen up and drop in. Now I have to patch the new holes in the rockers. The list just seems endless sometimes. The bad part is that most of this stuff won't cost me a dime to fix. It's just finding the time to do it that kills me.

I hate rust. It's the only thing on your list that seems hard to manage. Everything else you listed is easy and fairly cheap except for the motor. I had to patch my driver side strut tower and rocker panel on my Talon. It seems good now, but I'll probably get rid of it in a year or so. I have no idea how long a patch is going to work on a daily driver or if it'll spread further. I'm sure you could get your rust problems to an acceptable level with time, but you'll probably need to have another car available while fixing it. It took me 4 days just to repair my passenger side rocker panel.

You should have seen it before I fixed the holes. I could put my hand threw the drivers side quarter panel and touch the interior panels. After I dropped the factory ground effects I patched 3-4 holes and rebuilt most of what went behind the fenders and patched the holes in the door jams where the door triggers go. I cut out all the rusted panels and made new panels using sheet metal and welded it all in. I even painted the back sides of the new panels and undercoated them. The parts Ive fixed seem fine so far except for the bubbling in the one quarter. I think I got a little heavy with the filler on that side. The holes that just showed over winter are new ones that weren't there before. I drove around all last summer while I was doing the body work. The car looked ridiculous with spots of primer, factory paint, and filler before we sprayed it flat black. I wanted it flat black because I like how it looks. I guess this summer I'm going to fix the new holes and re spray it again so i can put my ground effects back on. You would never see the new holes if I just put the skirts back on but I know they are there and I want them fixed.
I work in a garage and have a body shop next door so I have access to just about everything I'll ever need. I just can't pay the the guys at the body shop to do it for me. They let me borrow any tools and materials I need to do it myself. They even drop by sometimes to give me tips and ideas on how to fix the holes. I guess what this all comes down to is time more than money. Though I could use more of both.

That's nice that you have a shop available. I just did mine in the garage and it was the first real time I've used my welder for something. I also sprayed both side of the panels. I used rusty metal primer and paint and also undercoated everything when I was done. I didn't use any filler or anything on either the strut tower or the rocker panel. I just completely welded it up. The side skirt cover the rocker and the patch under the hood looks pretty good the way it is. After I finished it up, I used seam sealer wherever I could. ...Believe me, my rust was bad too. I could put my fist through the strut tower and touch the tire. And the rocker/wheel well patch is huge! I also had to build new frame rails or pinch welds. I couldn't jack up the car any more.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back