The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 4gcs stroker motor Not getting spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay braze

Probationary Member
Jun 4, 2019
ROHNERT PARK, California
I am not getting spark. I just bought a 4gcs stroker motor. Everything seems good I'm just not getting spark. I have a 1g cam angle sensor. That might be the issue. I have another cas on the way, should be in within the next couple days but not sure if I have the current one hooked up correctly. Is there anything I need to know about the cas? Or does anyone know why I wouldn't be getting spark? What are some steps I can check to figure it out. Thanks!

Did the spark work correctly on the old engine? Did you swap over the CAS from the old engine, or use the one that came with the new engine?

A quick spark check is to remove one spark plug, reconnect its ignition wire and lay it on the exhaust manifold so that the metal of the plug makes contact with the metal of the manifold. Have a helper crank the engine while you watch and verify you have spark.

If you have spark, verify the order of your spark plug wires.

I was using the cas from my old 2g motor, which is what I assume is the issue. I ordered a 1g cas from someone on instagram after looking everywhere else for a 1g cas. It should arrive this week. But just want to check if there is anything else that could be the issue. I used 2 different sets of spark plug wires, did a test and no spark. So I assume it is the cas that is the issue. I will let you know if it fires up once the 1g cas gets put in.

Ok, I had the new 1g CAS put in. Still no spark.

Not sure what it could be any help would be appreciated. I hear everything turn on and it cranks but no spark and everything seems to be wired correctly. Just not sure what is missing or isn't right.

I might still have the 2g ECU, vs a 1g ECU, would that make it not get spark?

A quick spark check is to remove one spark plug, reconnect its ignition wire and lay it on the exhaust manifold so that the metal of the plug makes contact with the metal of the manifold. Have a helper crank the engine while you watch and verify you have spark.

Yea I checked spark while someone cranked the engine, no spark. Just installed the 1g CAS, still no spark.

My ECU might be a 2g, do I need a 1g ECU for it to get spark?

Last edited by a moderator:
My ecu might be a 2g, do I need a 1g ecu for it to get spark?

No, is your ECU powering up? Turn the ignition on and the CEL lights for 5 seconds and then turns off?

With 1G CAS propperly wired up you can spin it and listen to the injectors fire and get spark. 2G setup is a little harder to do that since you have a crank sensor and a cam sensor.

The issue was we didn't hook up the ignitor chip because I didn't have one and we thought it was all internal on the cas. But now it's started! Now I need to get 1050 injectors larger fuel pump, egt sensor, ecm link and a tune and I'll be ready to drive it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back