The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

not balancing caused knocking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetraceboi

Sep 4, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
here what i gotta know...so would me not getting my engine balanced have anything to do with my car having a light knock after the rebuild? i have wiseco 9:1 on eagle rods on a polished crank. motor was built by me, could that be the reason? LOL. i installed the pistons on the rods myself, could i have done something wrong? i had to replace the bearings once like at 1200 miles of the rebuild. what can i do, or how can i find out where the light knock is coming from??? seems like the knock is getting louder and bearings are gonna need replacement again.....HELP PLEASE!

Balancing wont cause knock it causes vibration! Did you plastiguage the bearings when you were assembling the engine to check clearences? Are the pistons on the rods the right way around? ( wisecos are off set pins)
What is your oil pressure like? What oil are you using?
Just a couple of questions to start with.

a friend had told me that i didnt have to plastigauge since the crank was still at spec. but i think that was one thing i SHOULDNT have passed up on doing. im pretty sure the pistons are on the rods correctly. and the oil i used during break in was 10w30, and the oil im using now is still regular 10w40. also, my oil pressure seems to be fine, although im just going on the stock gauge.

What did the bearings that you pulled out last time have wrong with them? Does the knock seem to disappear as the engine warms up or does it get worse!

it only really does it inbetween 2500 and 3000rpms. i had a few problems with overheating within the first 1000 miles, so the bearings went out fast cause of that plus the knocking... its more of like a light tapping/knocking noise. car still runs fine though

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back