The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Noob with a 2g Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdmsly

Probationary Member
Aug 24, 2015
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Hello guys,
My name is Brady and i currently drive a 1996 mitsubishi eclipse gs spyder its got 140k miles but looks and drives like a champ :D ive had it for a month now and im tired of the sohc 2.4 would it be hard to swap a 4g63t in this model? ive heard its a bi*** XD but thats on the back burner right now. I do have a couplee of questions though maybe you guys can help me. First on any cold start or couple of hours of not starting i get a horrible belt squeak for about 5-15 seconds i ive tried alot to get it to stop but it wont :( also how to replace a door handle cause it snapped the day i got it :( well if you guys can help it will be much appreciated :D
bye!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Welcome aboard!
Do a bit of reading before you want to talk about a 4g63 swap in a non-turbo.

As to your other questions:

If your belts are just squealing, I would suggest replacing with new belts. Ensure proper tension on the new belts. Also look for any play on pulleys. While you are getting new belts, pick yourself up a Chilton's of Haynes repair manual to help with maintenance items.

For your door handle:
http://www.rcaz.com/rcaz/sub indexes/eclipse_door_handle_removal/index.htm

click on the first pic on the top left, and use the arrows at the top of the page to navigate each step.

Thanks so much for the help and for sure i will do some reading or would it be better to get a gst or gsx. gsx's arent expensive here :D they're like 3k but thanks again for the help :D

Thanks so much for the help and for sure i will do some reading or would it be better to get a gst or gsx. gsx's arent expensive here :D they're like 3k but thanks again for the help :D

It is much cheaper to just get a GS-T Spyder (already has 4G63T) if you want to stay convertible. An AWD swap on the Spyder is not too difficult if you want something unique. AWD was not a factory option for convertibles.

Remember that the spyder GS is not like the eclipse GS, YOU CAN directly swap a 4g63 in.

Or check out our build profile for a 2.4 SOHC to the DOHC head :D

Around here a spyder gst is very rare and they go for 6000 or more if you do see them. You can get a whole engine, ecu and whatever you need to swap in a 4g63 for under $1000 if you shop around.

I think the belt squeak is pretty common, this one does it sometimes, but it probably needs new belts too, get gates.

Welcome to the wonderful world of spyders! A 63 swap is very easy, as is turbocharging your 64. Start with the basic things first. Eg door handle, belts (timing and serp) plugs wires fuel filter. Then move on to performance mods. A lot of things swap over to the nt spyders from the gsts, so you're in luck there. Keep an eye out for the turbo only upgrades (power mirrors, rear disc brakes, etc)

Best thing to do is buy a whole gst, or better yet gsx car, with blown head gasket or wrecked, rusty or something. We paid $800 got a 95 gst blown head gasket and swapped everything over, leather interior, pwr mirrors, obviously the head and turbo stuff, then sold the shell and rest of parts for almost what the car costed. Win/win.win

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back