The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Noob to weight reduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst fat

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2007
Miami, Florida
So the car is no longer a dd so here I go

It's a 2g fwd 4g63
Making 330whp and 290tq
More to come of course,
I wanna do weight reduction how much is actually capable of reducing in the car other than the hood trunk and sunroof? I know the rear seats don't weigh anything,If I'm correct the car weighs 2850 from factory and the awd weighs 3150, ac is completely out of the car, I will not remove power steering either so help me out

Get seatbelt harnesses and get rid of the factory assemblies, they're pretty heavy.

I don't think anyone has mentioned these yet - aluminum intercooler piping, sheet metal intake manifold, mini battery. If safety isn't a concern as it's not a DD, remove the bumper rebars front and back.

Please explain stationary mass and rotational mass
Stationary=one spot of weight loss
Rotational= same amount of weight loss but just all around the vehicle?

Am I correct

Please explain stationary mass and rotational mass
Stationary=one spot of weight loss
Rotational= same amount of weight loss but just all around the vehicle?

Am I correct

stationary is weight that doesn't move really, like crash bars, seats, carpets, spare tire etc.

Rotational is anything that rotates such as rims/brakes/driveshaft(if applicable)/flywheel/hubs, etc.

A/C system and all it's components would be a pretty big chunk of weight out.

As for rotational weight. Rule of thumb I'd heard on it was 1lb of rotational weight was worth 4lb non-rotational weight as far as acceleration is concerned.

ABS
Cruise
Power Windows
Speed Glass all round
CF doors or be cheap and hack out the crash beams.
Air bags
Switch to a fuel cell.

Also, one of the biggest weight changes to a car is the driver so if your a larger person (I am) lose some weight.

Carbon Fiber, All the interior pieces.. Carpet.. Factory seats weigh a bit more then racing.. Just think of all the little crap you dont need.. toss the a/c lightweight steering wheel..

Buy a frame and put a 4g63 in it :) Make a Go kart

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back