The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Noob to Tuning/Management

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
Alright, so please calm the irritated level for asking these newbish questions, and be pleased with this following statement.

This is my first turbo'd car. I want to manage/take car of it correctly. It is completely stock, and I am rebuilding the engine instead of driving it and breaking it down. I have done no upgrades. I simply want the best for the vehicle.

Now, that I've shown my intentions, here is my post.

As I stated, I have done absolutely no aftermarket upgrades. I am rebuilding the engine, so to speak, with new rings, gaskets, and whatnot. I would like to know if getting a management system would be the correct choice as a first "upgrade". I have been reading what I can on things such as a Data-Logger and DSMlink... and I am just curious is dropping the cash for DSMlink is a smart decision for a stock GSX that WILL be upgraded?

My ideal range for this car will be between 400-500AWHP. I am taking care of the basics as I rebuild the engine, such as ARP L19's, stronger clutch assembly, and a trans rebuild. I won't name off my desired upgrade path as this isn't the place to do it.

With a tool such as DSMlink, what are the requirements before I purchase it? What can I expect to be able to do with it? What difference will it make on a Stock vehicle? And overall, is it a smart choice?

Thanks for any input, and sorry for the uneducated post.

If you want to start out simple, get an SAFC and a logger, DSMlink can get a little confusing and you may mess something up which could damage the engine. Start out at the bottom (get a cheap SAFC, you can find them of craigslist for like $100), learn to tune on that and then move up to DSMlink.

If you want to start out simple, get an SAFC and a logger, DSMlink can get a little confusing and you may mess something up which could damage the engine. Start out at the bottom (get a cheap SAFC, you can find them of craigslist for like $100), learn to tune on that and then move up to DSMlink.

Advice noted.

Now, I haven't looked into what all is involved with the tuning side of it, but do note that I am a programmer.. so if it comes down to that, I can figure out formulas and whatnot as long as I have numbers to run off of.

I do understand your notion though. Start small before going big. How effective would a SAFC be on a stock setup?

There's hundreds of DSMers running 11s on SAFCs and several running 10s, its very effective for what it is. Its easy to tune (pretty much you tell the ECU when to add an subtract fuel according to the knock count and your A/F ratio), I would suggest that. Now if you wanna go for DSMlink, you may as well but I would get someone to teach you how to use it properly. I've had it on the GSX for quite sometime and still don't know how to fully use it... Yet again I don't use it that often since I only tend to drive the car once or twice a week and run it maybe once a month.

There's hundreds of DSMers running 11s on SAFCs and several running 10s, its very effective for what it is. Its easy to tune (pretty much you tell the ECU when to add an subtract fuel according to the knock count and your A/F ratio), I would suggest that. Now if you wanna go for DSMlink, you may as well but I would get someone to teach you how to use it properly. I've had it on the GSX for quite sometime and still don't know how to fully use it... Yet again I don't use it that often since I only tend to drive the car once or twice a week and run it maybe once a month.

What are some of the pre-install requirements?

Any specifc gauges I should be aware of? Any certain intake or exhaust setup?

Like I said, it's 100% stock.

I simply want the best for the vehicle.

Good luck getting an answer for this one, since everyone has an opinion on what is "best" :p

XiKeiyaZI said:
I would like to know if getting a management system would be the correct choice as a first "upgrade". And I am just curious is dropping the cash for DSMlink is a smart decision for a stock GSX that WILL be upgraded?

Yes and yes. I wish more people would see a management system as a first "upgrade" as monitoring what your car does is very vital. Yes, it gets more necessary the more you mod it and the more you push it, but at all levels I'd recommend it.

XiKeiyaZI said:
With a tool such as DSMlink, what are the requirements before I purchase it? What can I expect to be able to do with it? What difference will it make on a Stock vehicle? And overall, is it a smart choice?

Requirements - have an ECU. For a 1g, it does not matter what ECU you have, whether it has an EPROM chip or not. This is because ECMtuning (makers of ECMlink) can do a conversion to allow a non-EPROM ECU to accept a chip.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/frequently-answered-dsm-questions/337343-how-identify-eprom-ecu.html

With ECMlink you will be able to log a lot of different values as well as tune your car via airflow, fuel, timing, and a few other smaller things. It's an all-inclusive package that can do what most people need and then some.

It can make a bit of a difference on a stock vehicle if you have the necessary accessories, most specifically a wideband o2 sensor.

DSMlink can get a little confusing and you may mess something up which could damage the engine.

Yes, it has a bit of a learning curve, but the owners are making it much easier for everyone to pick up and learn the program by creating tutorial videos.
ECMTuning, Inc.

Also, I disagree with being able to do damage to your engine, unless you're a complete moron. I don't believe I have ever heard of someone damaging their engine because of a bad tune. As long as you're conscious of some basic values and don't make drastic movements in fuel or timing, you'll be just fine.

As long as you have a reliable way to monitor boost (i.e. not the stock boost gauge) and a wideband o2 sensor, you'd be ready to go. There are some extras that you can get to make things easier, but if you're on a budget you won't need to worry about these.

Good luck getting an answer for this one, since everyone has an opinion on what is "best" :p

Yes and yes. I wish more people would see a management system as a first "upgrade" as monitoring what your car does is very vital. Yes, it gets more necessary the more you mod it and the more you push it, but at all levels I'd recommend it.

Requirements - have an ECU. For a 1g, it does not matter what ECU you have, whether it has an EPROM chip or not. This is because ECMtuning (makers of ECMlink) can do a conversion to allow a non-EPROM ECU to accept a chip.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/frequently-answered-dsm-questions/337343-how-identify-eprom-ecu.html

With ECMlink you will be able to log a lot of different values as well as tune your car via airflow, fuel, timing, and a few other smaller things. It's an all-inclusive package that can do what most people need and then some.

It can make a bit of a difference on a stock vehicle if you have the necessary accessories, most specifically a wideband o2 sensor.

Yes, it has a bit of a learning curve, but the owners are making it much easier for everyone to pick up and learn the program by creating tutorial videos.
ECMTuning, Inc.

Also, I disagree with being able to do damage to your engine, unless you're a complete moron. I don't believe I have ever heard of someone damaging their engine because of a bad tune. As long as you're conscious of some basic values and don't make drastic movements in fuel or timing, you'll be just fine.

As long as you have a reliable way to monitor boost (i.e. not the stock boost gauge) and a wideband o2 sensor, you'd be ready to go. There are some extras that you can get to make things easier, but if you're on a budget you won't need to worry about these.

Just the type of answer I was looking for. I appreciate it!

I figured that if I had some sort of tuning tool, that being ECMlink, that I'd be able to adjust and 'tune' the car to perform at it's best as each upgrade went on. Whether that be from larger fuel injectors, to a FMIC upgrade. I'm not in the game of just buying bolt-ons and calling my car fast.

I know the cost is a bit up there with ECMlink already, however... as far as the Wideband, are there any recommendations or things that I should stray away from? Each addition will be a savings' type thing, so I want to be sure to get as good of quality as I can, but at the same time not pay a God Awful amount. There's a median for everything I suppose.

I'm not afraid to mess around and learn things hands on, so the learning curve part of it doesn't intimidate me at all. It's getting everything together and making sure that I have the right gear that messes with me. The EPROM, The ECMLink itself, The Wideband.. @_@ I mean.. I'm looking at what, 1K? But I suspect that will pay for itself, so I'm not too terribly worried about it.

Again, thank you for taking the time to clear a few of those things up. Haha, what's best for the car... for me, is reliability while maintaining decent power. It's going to be a steady curve into the power-range that I want it..and when I get to where I go " Okay, time to add the big boy toys " I'll likely yank the engine, tear it apart again, replace everything from the inside out, and build up again using the tools and upgrades that I've aquired over the time passed.

So in short....Looks like my first upgrade is ECMLink!

+1 for the Innovate LC1, it features two fully programmable outputs as well.
If I were to do things over again it would be engine management as my first choice, you'll increase power, get better fuel economy & the engine will run better. IMO don't waste your time with a safc.

IMO if you have the cash there should be nothing stopping you from getting the link FIRST. Skip the S-AFC step, since the link gives you real control and logging in one.

Well then it's settled.

ECMLink + Innovate LC1 will be my first 'upgrade' buys.

Thanks for the helpful tips guys. ;D

Glad to hear!

Hopefully I don't see a thread from you in the near future asking how to hook up your LC-1 or why it won't work right :p

Lmao. I doubt it. I'm a very 'Hands-On' type guy... I won't hook it up if it looks wrong, and I don't hack anything unless it's a needed hack.

BUT! .... xD If I need help, at least I'm honest about it, and I'm not above myself so much as to admit when I'm confused or wrong.

Edit : Now... I'm looking at the picture... that thing plugs into my brake lights, correct?

Lmfao. Kidding. It looks like a piece of cake.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back