The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

non turbo to turbo, ya let the hate begin..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpzkilla187

Probationary Member
Mar 3, 2010
Norwalk, Iowa
alright so i have a 93 talon esi that i want to turbo just to get a feel for how to tune and mess with a turbo, so i dont really want to hear how its a dumb idea because ill blow my motor... i only plan on running 7-8 psi.

all im looking for really is a list of what exactly i will need to complete this swap from non turbo to turbo. i already know im going to get a ton of crap for not looking and all that but truth be told i have been using the search bar to try and find somthing on this website and others and nothing comes up that is directly related.

if you can help me with a list that youve come up with that would be great, if you can direct me to a post ive overlooked that would be great as well. thanks for your time and help! :thumb:

So you have a 1993 Talon ESi and it's probably high mileage, it's not factory turbo, and you want to add additional stress to it likely causing more problems than it will solve. Something doesnt make sense here :confused::confused:

Save some money. Pick up a Fixer Up Talon TSi or Eclipse GST. You can find 1st gens for dirt cheap. 1500-2500 for ones that are in Daily Driver condition.

400$ - 1000$ that are mostly intact.

Cruise your local craigs list for a week or two bound to be a couple 1g DSMs on there.

Not trying to hate on you either. Its just gonna be cheaper to buy a turbo dsm it is gonna be to turbo a n/t dsm.

Your gonna need a turbo, waste gate, oil feed and return kit, manifold, boost gauge, intercooler, piping, blow off valve.

Do you think you can get all that for under 2500$ maybe but its gonna cheap ass chinese crap. Under 1500? Probably not, Under 1000$ Highly Doubtful.

So you have a 1993 Talon ESi and it's probably high mileage, it's not factory turbo, and you want to add additional stress to it likely causing more problems than it will solve. Something doesnt make sense here :confused::confused:

Save some money. Pick up a Fixer Up Talon TSi or Eclipse GST. You can find 1st gens for dirt cheap. 1500-2500 for ones that are in Daily Driver condition.

Cruise your local craigs list for a week or two bound to be a couple 1g DSMs on there.

Not trying to hate on you either. Its just gonna be cheaper to buy a turbo dsm it is gonna be to turbo a n/t dsm.

Your gonna need a turbo, waste gate, oil feed and return kit, manifold, boost gauge, intercooler, piping, blow off valve.

Do you think you can get all that for under 2500$ maybe but its gonna cheap ass chinese crap. Under 1500? Probably not, Under 1000$ Highly Doubtful.

You can turbo a n/t dsm for a few hundred dollars. Just use the stock setup off of a turbo dsm, and run wastegate boost. I wouldn't do it, but the op wants to.

Actually would be quite cheap imo, especially compared to another car like a honda.

Turbo: hell people sell used good 14b's here for $50
Wastegate: can find a decent used one for $75
Oil feed: could easily get one for about $20
Boost Gauge: just buy a used one from a partout for like $30
IC/Piping: Just start off with a DSM sidemount, people sell em for like $50
Bov: Just find a used 1g bov $25
Injectors: Pick up some used 450's or 550's or something of the sort for $100

$350 so far

For a manifold, just go to junkyards and get one off a 1g or 2g

easily done, just gotta have the patience to do the conversion though
Spend a bit extra on an AFC

Actually would be quite cheap imo, especially compared to another car like a honda.

Turbo: hell people sell used good 14b's here for $50
Wastegate: can find a decent used one for $75
Oil feed: could easily get one for about $20
Boost Gauge: just buy a used one from a partout for like $30
IC/Piping: Just start off with a DSM sidemount, people sell em for like $50
Bov: Just find a used 1g bov $25
Injectors: Pick up some used 450's or 550's or something of the sort for $100

$350 so far

For a manifold, just go to junkyards and get one off a 1g or 2g

easily done, just gotta have the patience to do the conversion though
Spend a bit extra on an AFC

You will also need to find a ECU and add wires to the cars wiring harness for it, Knock sensor which you will have to wire up yourself, airflow sensor, the resistors for the injectors, and i am sure i am still forgetiing something

You could probably find a suitable turbo car for around the same price youd spend on turboing your n/t car. but if its something you want to do..Dont let someone like me or anyone else sway you

You know i hate when people say dont do this and sell the car and all the negative shit,its easy as hell to do,search classifields you can get all what u need for under 1k adding the two extra wires and resister pack is a walk in the park,just take ## time.

all im looking for really is a list of what exactly i will need to complete this swap from non turbo to turbo.
Wow, I searched for a whole three seconds and there's nothing out there except:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/freestyle/turboconversion.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...48231-installing-turbo-4g63-into-nt-4g63.html

So it looks like you'll need:

- Exhaust Manifold (1g MT, 2g, EvoIII)
- Turbo (14b from a 1G MT, 16g)
- 02 sensor housing (1g MT, 2g, EvoIII)
- 02 sensor from a turbo car (it has a longer wire, to reach the new sensor location, you don't need it if your wire already will reach, or if you rewire it yourself)
- Turbo Fuel Pressure Regulator (1g MT, 36 psi base pressure)
- 450cc turbo fuel injectors
- Turbo fuel pump, or upgrade pump for turbo car
- Resistor pack for 450cc injectors
- MT federal turbo ecu matched to the year range of your car(1990 is different from the 91-94 cars)
- Wastegate actuator
- Aftermarket boost gauge
- new fuel injector o-rings
- new exhaust gaskets
- 1g Turbo throttle body
- Throttle body elbow (1g or 2g, 2g is better)
- Metal check valve for the purge canister line (plastic ones blow out)
- UIC pipes and bov
- Turbo intake tube w/ bov return hose (dont vent the BOV)
- Turbo MAF and pigtail for wiring harness
- 16ga wire (a few Different colors)
- wire loom, solder, electrical tape, heat shrink
- electric fuel pressure solenoid and pigtail
- knock sensor and pigtail
- 1g sidemount intercooler
- lower i/c pipe, hose, J-pipe and turbo outlet gasket
- turbo aircan
- Throttle body and elbow gaskets
- Downpipe
- Turbo Oil Pan
- Oil drainback tube
- 5 feet of 3/8" coolant hose (hydraulic hose also works, dont use fuel hose)
- Turbo oil feed line w/ banjo bolts
- Turbo coolant hard lines
- High Temp Silicone sealer
- 3 extra (harness side) ecu pins, get from some used ECU plugs on junk car
- bolts for the turbo-to-exhaust manifold connection and the one nut (I used normal hardware store stuff, but you might want to get the correct bolts from the dealer)
- copper gaskets for the lines
- a whole pile of various vaccume tube, connectors, hose clamps, and an assortment of bolts and nuts(you can never have too much of this stuff, just incase)
- antifreeze
- oil filter
- oil
- premuim gas (dont try running that 87 that's in there now...)
- New spark plugs gapped at .028"
- Upgraded clutch
- transmission fluid

You're welcome. :coy:

lots of helpful stuff, thanks for the help everyone! the thing is, im just looking for the experience of turbo-ing a car, i got the car for cheep and im just looking to do stuff just to do it. if its going to help my understanding on how things work then thats really all im looking for. eventually when i get some good money saved up i plan on building a full track awd turbo model hopefully hitting around 500-600 hp. the only reason im really wanting to do this little turbo project is just to get an understanding on turbo's first hand.

one more question, would i need a fuel cut defender or how does that all work?

This is a commen mistake a lot of people make dealing with searches. It automatically searches for posts contaning the key words you listed. Instead change it to "title search" and you will find much better results. That's how most people come up with links so quickly as only thread titles with the key words you search will show up instead of hundreds of threads that may contain say "swap" somewhere within it.

Over all, it's not cost effictive but it can be done as some members on here have done it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back