The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Non turbo performance=ever fast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericismyname

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2002
West Des Moines, Iowa
So, can u actully get one of these non turbo 2gs to be fast without a turbo swap or nos? just wondering cause i crashed my 1g and i found a 2g non turbo i like. but its auto. neway, i as thinking cold air intake, high flow cat, header, cat back, but even with all that with an auto do u think i will even be fast ?

NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They never will be without NItrous or a turbo.
I have all you listed and my car is still slow as shit. I mean it beats civics but nothing big. If you want speed buy a another turbo if you want cheap insurance and looks go n/t. For the price you put into makin it a 14 secoind car you would have enough to buy another car!!!!

Yep it sucks but NT's are slow. But, I love my NT in a HUGE way. It's treated me SO GOOD the 33K miles I've driving it and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. Sure its not fast > But it sounds great and has a thumping system. Long live the NT's. Turbos rule but the cost to maintain them isn't worth it IMO. Sometime you get a nice one with no problems but that seems to be rare with the turbos. I had a 90GSX back in the day with 44K on the ODO and it cost me an arm and a leg in 6months.

Nt autos serve one purpose in my mind...show material. Yes, yes I know you can bolt on a 16g turbo & build up the bottom end but for what? A low 14/high 13 second car? Now think of what all that money could have done to a turbo dsm! But now if you look at a nt auto as a show car, it all becomes clear. Perfect body lines, sleek interior, responds to bodykits like magic...& your not ruining a car that has potential. That's what mine serves for. I know it's far from being "show quality" but in a few years....well you'll just have to wait & see. And sure, it'll be a slow fiberglass-equipped slushbox F&F look-alike but whenever I feel the need 4 speed, I'll just climb in my Trans Am. Perfect senario.
But don't get me wrong. If someone is set out to mod a nt for speed, they have my utmost respect. To have dedication & the skills to work with the 420a....you have to give props.:cool:

prices for a turbo dsm are sky high were i live. insurence also would rape me. i had to take the n/t route cuz i had no choice. I would love a hahn stage III or higher kit, oh yes one day it will be mine.:)

its true. i might be getting sr22 insurance. which wo uld be bad with a turbo.

I DISAGREE....yes you can make a 2g n/t fast w/o a turbo or NO2. it takes work and patience, but it can be done. howell makes a 2.2 stroker w/the options of 8.6, 10.5 and 12.5 comp. pistons. think about it....10.5 comp. pistons, full port polish, drag cams(kit #16 by crowler), aem cam gears, UDP's, fuel pump, regulator, injectors, exhaust, and a cold air intake your looking at @ 230HP at the crank....that is a very respectable amount of power for a 2g. 12lb flywheel, light weight forged rims, and weight reduction, you would be quite quick....the biggest downfall to this approach is MONEY, but speed costs money. few people try to make the 2g n/t fast as a n/t, but go for it....:thumb:

My 1G non turbo is fast, real fast, it is not stock but I stomp 1G and 2G turbos all the time. It took a lot of work and dedication, and true I'm putting a turbo kit in it right now but it's possible.
Chris

Originally posted by 4G63luvr
My 1G non turbo is fast, real fast, it is not stock but I stomp 1G and 2G turbos all the time. It took a lot of work and dedication, and true I'm putting a turbo kit in it right now but it's possible.
Chris
Really? I read your car description and it sounds very impressive but how much HP you putting out at the flywheel?

And do you have any pictures or anything?
And not2fast I think you meant fast as a Turbo not as an NT?

They can be fast if you have the money_hence alot of money. But you will never have an 11 second car without a turbo. If a you want a reliable car that can get you where you want to go then its perfect. Unless you are going to drag alot then the n/t are great thats why I have one and why im building a tsi AWD.

Aight THanks guys, i just didnt wanna loose to somethin really slow and be embarresed:0

Crazy ideas:

Get a 2.4L stroke it to 2.6L and P & P the head, intake etc
high compression and a 200 shot (someone on 2gnt has done the 200 shot recently). or a supercharger, but I hear alot of that is bogus.

Someone just informed me of a company thats trying to patent an electronic "nitrous" type of unit, that gives you additional power for like 10 seconds, without the damaging effect of nitrous. Sounds like a battery killer to me.

Get a MIVEC engine from Japan (FTO) and turbo it. Pricey.

or just build up your bottom end (2.0L or 2.2L) and turbo it.

just some thoughts.

3.5L Avenger engine.

Attachments

• 3.5l avenger engine.jpg
    3.5l avenger engine.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 175
would it be cheaper to put a turbo eclipse engine in or a 3.5 v6 avenger. which one would be faster? both creating about same hp in same weight.

I have no idea who did that swap, but I would assume a turbo eclipse engine (if youre talking about 4G63 swap) would be faster. That V6 looks a bit easier to drop, but I would prolly say the a rebuilt 420a w/ turbo would still be easier (and maybe faster too)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back