The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

non turbo engine to turbo engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92blutalon

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2008
bridgeview, Illinois
is it easier to buy a turbo engine and swap it out? or just turbo the engine i have in the car now?

i have a 1992 eagle talon 2.0 5 speed. non turbo with 90k miles on it.

when and if i buy an engine do i need a diffrent tranny?? and can i use mine.

i want to do this because i know the pistons are stronger and it comes with 215hp or 205hp

do i need a wire harness and ecu?

Simple enough on this one. Sell that and get a turbo. Harness, engine, exhaust... Alot of things need to be changed over. Unless you slapped a turbo on the n/a engine...

If you could, you might even be able to get a turbo 1g for the same price as finding a engine and tranny. The turbo engine is way better than turbocharging the N/A. You can turn the boost a lot higher, more power, just generally better. It just makes more sense to me that way.

Ill say this now... " all I want is 300hp or run 7psi-8psi " NO, you ll end up wanting more..

LOL boost is addicting and like all addictions you need more to fullfil your rush. Just like a damn drug.... Don't you love it..

The wiring harness is close enough. You need to wire in the knock sensor. that's it. The harness is pretty close to the same.

Non-turbo to turbo conversion

You can use your stock transmission. It is RUMORED the turbo tranny is stronger. But there's no proof to back that up, from what I've seen. I can see you blowing the tires loose long before you could do any damage to the gears or other internals. Now a clutch upgrade would be in order. As I believe the clutches are different between cars, strength favoring the turbo model of course. Yet the turbo clutch will not fit in the n/t. No matter there's strong clutches for the n/t car jsut the same and the n/t FW and clutch is lighter than the fwd turbo version too :) . In the long run you may benefit from the different gearing of the FWD turbo tranny. The gear ratios work better with a turbo motor. All the gears are taller, and the final drive is taller with a turbo tranny. This yields more load on the tranny and, thus, helps spool speed. With stock turbo like the 14b, you may never notice any more lag. All differentials are the same (but not the ring gear) so you can use a LSD diff down the road just like with a turbo model.

You have a 6bolt. If you have the means to swap the entire motor, then you are better off just buying stock turbo pistons and swapping them onto your rods. You have the same sought after 6bolt rods as found in the turbo model.

You're probably better off swapping than buying another car, if the car is in good shape and you don't mind the work. N/T pistons can handle GOBS and GOBS of power, but they crack easily when seeing detonation. So it's your call. I would swap the pistons. Then you can go to what ever level the above posters claim you'll really want down the road and know that a string of knock won't ruin your week.

EDIT: Well, I did find this about the FWD tranny strength. Read. I trust Kyle. Here's his article to swap the stronger FWD transmission, since the n/t one is so weak.

Honestly, it would probably be better too just sell your car and get a gst or gsx. If you love your car i would probably just turbo it. Trying to convert it to the 4g63 is going to be way to much money, and you might run into a lot of problems.

He already has a 4g63. It's a 1g non-turbo 2.0L car.

well thats it for a little bit because i went for a ford zx2 to a talon then a talon turbo??

going from 135hp in both my cars then 205hp then after that 250hp maybe 300hp LOL:D

the other bad thing is i dont know how to do a timing belt.

now when i take if off i put it bask the same and and mark every thing

LOL Too funny. . . yea most beat on these cars and any little thing gives a performance gain. So those guys just break the car apart wondering why everything around the motor can't handle almost twice the power from the factory.
+1 to that

If you wanted to do a built motor you could actually build your N/T motor with Turbo parts, such as rods, pistons, rings, etc. You just then wouldn't have the oil squirters that the 4g63ts come with. And another thing about the transmissions questions. The turbo transmission is actually heavier with beefed up components. And Sheptrans does not do builds for N/T transmissions nor does anywhere else besides just basic rebuilds, so if you want a built transmission sometime you'll need the turbo trans.

Turbo computer, knock sensor, turbo maf sensor, you need to run wires from your maf and knock sensors to the ecu, you need all the piping from turbo to throttle body (including intercooler), blow off valve, turbo intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo 02 housing and downpipe, turbo fuel pressure regulator, turbo fuel pump, boost gauge, turbo, either the factory boost solenoid to control boost (about 8psi) or a mbc and I believe that is about it. I actually did the swap myself to a 92 n/t talon fwd. You can use the n/t trans just make sure you use the n/t flywheel but you'll have to grind a dial pin off the crank to use it (no big deal). If I think of anything else I will post it.

Turbo computer, knock sensor, turbo maf sensor, you need to run wires from your maf and knock sensors to the ecu, you need all the piping from turbo to throttle body (including intercooler), blow off valve, turbo intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo 02 housing and downpipe, turbo fuel pressure regulator, turbo fuel pump, boost gauge, turbo, either the factory boost solenoid to control boost (about 8psi) or a mbc and I believe that is about it. I actually did the swap myself to a 92 n/t talon fwd. You can use the n/t trans just make sure you use the n/t flywheel but you'll have to grind a dial pin off the crank to use it (no big deal). If I think of anything else I will post it.

Dont forget turbo oil pan for oil return.:thumb:

k thanks you guys one more thing

what is i wanted to keep the engine in there now and get a turbo kit??

any ideas were and could i get the ones off ebay??

and what else would i need to do to the car to get it ready but i only want to keep it at low boost

IT wasnt that hard, and for me most of what i needed was bought off ebay, it really wasnt that expensive, it took a while for parts but i had all winter, plus i got a free long bolt, which i rebuilt anyway. My buddy w ired the transistor pack, and the rest was up to me, worth the money, pain, and frustration.

Ebay turbo kits arent the best idea,lots of horror stories on here with ebay turbos.If you want to only run low boost you could probably piece together a "junkyard" turbo kit for cheaper than an ebay kit anyways.But as many have stated above be a better idea to buy a turbo motor.

No ebay turbos here the real deal, some stuff like injectors, piping, intercoolers, and computers for his project. Dont trust ebay turbos either, well the chinese stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back