The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Non turbo 1g power add ons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weapon0x2

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2010
arlington, Texas
Hey i guys i just bought my first dsm its a 1991 plymouth laser with a 2.0l non turbo 4g63 and i was wondering. beside for adding a better intake and exhaust and headers how do i make more hp with out turboing the car?

p.s. i have already maintenanced and inspected the car and its ready to start making power. The only mods it has right now is a hacked aircan and the cat converter is removed.

also does anyone know the stock 0-60 and 1/4 mile for this car?

thank you to everyone that provides info.

1989 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 7.2 15.8
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 7.4 15.9
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T (Auto) 7.4 15.5 (MT June, 94)
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.9 15.2
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 7.0 15.3
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 6.7 15.3 (MT Sept, 92)
1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.8 15.2
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 9.0 16.6
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.4 14.9
1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 6.8 15.1
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 6.7 15.2
1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 6.6 14.6
1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo 6.9 15.4
1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo 7.1 15.0

not sure how correct these are

Thanks for the info guys.
keep it comin

Hey guys will a cat back exhaust system for a 91 gsx fit on my 91 n/a because i cant cant find any inexpensive exhaust for n/a lasers/eclipses but gsx cat back systems are plentiful and most are less expensive

I would think not, Your car has a solid rear axle. And if i remember correctly the pipe for the muffler runs up and over the rear axle on your car. Not under and around like the gsx.
If you are not planning on keeping the air conditioning then i woul say remove the ac belt, That will free up a little power. You can advance your timing a little bit too. You can hollow out the cat and run a pipe down the middle of it.
There was an exhaust system here...

www.autopartswarehouse.com

As far as a cat-back you can get a 2.5" Pacesetter for cheap. I got mine from JC Whitney for $212 (this was about 6 years ago, not sure if they are still the same price)

If you want to make power though, start saving up for a turbo motor. Mine is going in this summer :D

BTW my best 1/4 mile time was 16.1 @ 82 mph (about 5 years ago). That was with just the cat-back, new NGKs, and a K&N.

you could also get underive pulleys, that would free up some rotating mass and make power. you can also advance timing a little, plus what has already been said .. remove your air can ... put a k&n or similar air filter ... try to find a gst, tsi fwd or laser rs fwd exhaust to bolt on. i don't know if he is still around or not but a guy named Kim Steele had a 4g63 n/a powered all wheel drive drag car running in the 12s. he had a shop called bar none motorsports in dallas,tx (i got many tips from him when i had my 92 gs many many moons ago) don't let the talk of "save your pennies and get a turbo" scare you. just do some reseach and have fun with you DSM ... we all have to start somewhere!

If your going to keep it all motor start with the head. Cams, cam gears, oversized valves, port and polish and stronger springs. I had this done to my 420a and i noticed alot more power.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back