The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Non DSM related replacing catalytic converter and reattaching using clamps without any exhaust leaks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
Hi,

I was wondering how to remove a failed catalytic converter on my MK4 ALH TDI that is not flanged on either side and then replace it with another cat using the below styled clamps or similar and not have exhaust leaks on either side.

Example:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I plan on using an angle grinder to cut the cat out on both sides. However, long ago I tried to do this on other projects and it would leak on both sides no matter how much I tightened the clamp.

Without using temporary cheats that blow out like muffler mender or needing to weld, can I just accomplish my goal with clamps?

Normally I would just give up and have a local shop do it...but I have to go down there to reconnect the downpipe that I dropped for troubleshooting.

If so, how?

Thanks.

I would recommends u-bolt style clamps over the flat bands as you have shown. Those spread the force out over the surface of the flat band (large area) and don't ever seem to get tight enough to deform the pipes (which you want for sealing). The u-bolt style will deform the outer pipe around the inner one and you should be able to get a seal with just clamps. - no promises tho!

Good luck!

We used that exact Evil Energy clamp for the Y pipe on my sons Camaro while breaking in the 400 small block motor and didn't have any leaks, but it was perfect in diameter which helps. After listening to the motor as I timed it several times and had no "knock" that was audible, we took the whole Y pipe out and now have open headers on it, but that clamp worked pretty dam good for our purposes.

Thanks all. So funny that I randomly linked do those clamps. I will try a combo of u-clamps like mentioned. Ironically I had the issue on a Camaro too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back