The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

non 90' oil filter housing idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stace

10+ Year Contributor
May 27, 2008
Belleville, ON_Canada
OK, Before any one says "just go buy a 90 OFH..." YA YA if it comes to that, then sure I will but thats not the answer I'm looking for.

Before I go out and spent $30 plus on a 90 OFH, hear me out..

Adding a external oil cooler to a 92 OFH:

I took out 2 plugs and replaced them with hose adapters..as you see in the pic..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

now If I were to plug the path from one adqapter to the other, it would stop the oil from going to the oil filter, and shoot it straight down into a hose to the cooler. Then after the cooler, the oil would enter the OFH via the other adapter and go straight into the oil filter....

The square would be the plug..wich could be be tapped and threaded for a 1 inch stud or something to block the oil.

I know this would work..as far as oil moovement, but what about the thermostat? would there be a problem running a full time cooler?

(..that's what us '90 owners do have ... is the external oil coolers that is mounted to the lower right and in front of the radiator and not that goofball water cooled oil cooler units. Don't know why Mitz took away that was a good system and went with this compound idea..)

I wouldn't worry about the T-stat section if you can make a good bypass for the coolant to keep that fluid in the loop. If you can get that oil cooler in decent airflow, you should be okey. But, you can add a fan behind that cooler (find you a 4inch, 12v muffin fan if your cooler is about that size) if you have doubts of coking the oil up.

-DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back