The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Noisy TOB, quiet when clutch is pressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTurboEclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2002
Bay Area, California
This is just something annoying, my beater has this chatter noise when clutch is not pressed. And goes away when it is. The transmission however shifts fine, no popping of gear, grinding, no play while in gear. I can live with it, but if its something that maybe changing tranny fluid will fix i will do it, but if not and it requires the transmission to be off, I'll just wait until I need a new clutch.

my beater has this chatter noise when clutch is not pressed. And goes away when it is. The transmission however shifts fine, no popping of gear, grinding, no play while in gear. I'll just wait until I need a new clutch.

It can't be the TOB only because there is no pressure on it, assuming you have the correct amount of free play set. But what it can be is a worn out bearing on the input shaft. Only reason i say this is we ruled out the TOB, and since there is no power(nuetral) being transmitted (cluster gears not meshing) the counter is shaft not turning and the only thing that is moving is the Main or input shaft.

Solid

That makes sense, thanks Solid.

I did mention it goes away when the clutch is pressed, but I dont know if this makes a difference in distinguishing the problem, but I just barely have to press the clutch and the noise will go away. My foot resting on the clutch pedal and perhaps only pushing it down an inch makes the noise go away.

Is it something I should worry about?

I did mention it goes away when the clutch is pressed, but I dont know if this makes a difference in distinguishing the problem, but I just barely have to press the clutch and the noise will go away.
Is it something I should worry about?

It really would be something to worry about if it is really audible (little girl screaming loud) then you may wanna look at the lubrication of your trans. But to answer your previous statement It wouldn't make all that much noise, because the powerflow from the engine is not completeing its path through to the ground instead there is a slight amount of clearance that permits your clutch disc to disengage (+/-.010 ) when you step on the pedal. This does not make the input shaft spin thus not making the noise. let me know if I need to clarify that some more:thumb: If ya need help I'm here.

Solid:talon:

it could be (but I don't think it's possible because of the self-adjusting nature of the slave cyl) that the TOB is bouncing around, say if the "basket handle" that holds it on has broken/come loose/popped out/whatever). But I think that it is more likely an internal transmission noise, input shaft bearing related as has been said above.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back