The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

noiseness of fuel pumps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secGST

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2002
San Luis Obispo, California
Ok I'm planning for a b16g and 550's but what type of fuel pump would you guys suggest 225, 255, 190? I don't want one thats going to be really noisy and thats why I'm asking otherwise I'd just get the 255lph. So to those who have these pumps, how noisy is it at idle, I just don't want to hear that loud high picthed buzz everytime I'm at a stop light.

If you're worried about fuel pump noise, instead of upgrading it, redo the front part of the fuel system instead and you'll get the same results. Eliminating the stock fuel filter, banjo bolt, and fuel rail inlet will enable the fuel system to flow tons better and allow the stock fuel pump to still supply enough fuel for your application. See this site for more info. There's also a member here, rigby, that's the actual author-- he replied to a thread in the fuel tuning forum about this sort of thing, so you can look there too.

After installing a 255, my car didn't sound much different. But when you revved it, she sounded much "meaner." I liked it :D

Ryan

Just dont get a walbro pump. Get either a denso190lph (3s pump) or a supra pump. plus a 190 is all youll ever need for that setup

Austin

I've only heard one Walbro pump in a DSM, and it was very whiney. Not sure of the model, though. I just know I couldn't live with that thing. If you've definitely decided to upgrade, take the above advice and get a Denso 190 or Supra pump (isn't the Supra pump also another Denso?).

Yes the supra pump is OEM denso for toyota. Im surpirsed yours isnt loud John, your right though I dont remember hearing it. My wlabro is very loud, especially after the rewire =) Anyhow, the denso pumps dont make noise so thats your best bet if it really bothers you...

Just turn your radio on, you wont notice it.
-I didn't even notice mine until I heard about "loud" pumps on the board:
*Now if I listen for it, I can hear the wine. It's cool tho', to let you know it's there.

-Compared to our big exhausts, blow off noises, turbo spools, whinning transmissions, lifter ticks, and loud stereos, the fuel pump is like nothing. I would choose one more on performance than sound.

Thanx,
DeathBeast - 1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD :)

well I guess walbros may not me noisey(I can't spell) in 2g's of out of the 2 2g's that replied with walbros they said it wasn't noisey in their car...I know all cars are different and that only 2 out of many many 2gs replied but so far that seems to be the case. So I'm in luck I guess...and all I'm planning for right now is a b16g but possibly sometime down the line if I ever get bored with that i might go L2R so I just want to be prepared if I ever chose to. Any other 2g's out there with walbros...reply is yours noisey?

my 255lph walbro is very quiet, I can hardly hear it. I can only hear it slightly when idleing, and I love the sound of it. The way a high performance car should be. :)

I think that (Nippon)Denso pumps are better for 1G's because they are direct bolt in and Wal-Mart pumps fit better in 2G's.

Also, 2G's have their pump under the rear seats, so any pump tend be quieter (and that also makes them better suited for Wal-Mart pumps).

>After installing a 255, my car didn't sound much different. But when
>you revved it, she sounded much "meaner." I liked it

Ryan,

This does not sound good... This implies that you do not get enough current to your pump at idle. Have you re-wired your pump?

As for original question, 190lph pump should be just fine for a 16G, especially if you re-wire it.

Leon
RR

everyone reply'n with 255's, i can only assoume they are only 255lph and not 255lph-HP's? (hi pressure) that would explain why there not loud. i get asked all the time... WTF is that noise?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back