The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

noise coming from trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattspyder

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
del taco, Wisconsin
I've got a weird rattle type noise coming from the trans whenever I let off the clutch. It also gets worse in 3-5 gears. I just bolted the Trans on the block not that long ago and put a new TOB in it when I dropped the engine in. Could it be a bad TOB. It wasn't a OEM one

also before you put a new tob check to see if there are grooves on the pressure plate where the tob sits. ive seen that turn out to be the cause of noise once.

I'm gonna go with bad bearing. They have VERY similar noises to a bad TOB, seeing as their both ... bearings. :p

Only one way to tell, pull the transmission and manually spin the input shaft with your hand in neutral and in the gears, check for in and out endplay in the shaft as well. That would be a big indicator if it was a bad bearing.

I've also seen the slave cylinder rod rub on the clutch fork and make a squeaky noise with clutch out, boy did that make me feel stupid when I figured out what that was, course I just threw some mud on it to fix that. Haha.

i'll be pulling the motor this weekend to check her out. I plan on swapping the motor into my 2g spyder since its summer. I was the drop top, I miss that car. I haven't had it running in over 3 years.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back