The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G No teeth on balance shaft belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetillEagle

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2008
Sacramento, California
My oil filter housing went bad, I have the water cooled oil housing and oil mixes in the water passages. (That's a whole different story) So in the process of changing it out for an external oil cooled housing (90-91' style) I take off the timing belt cover to check over my T belts and I see that my BS belt has no teeth WTF I haven't noticed any vibration or problems/noise. I guess I caught it just in time? Could there have been just enough tension to keep the BS in sync? I think that's impossible for how bad the belt is. So I hope/pray that just replacing the BS belt/ realign timing and assemble everything it will be to proper working condition and possible notice smoother idle than before.

does the shaft even spin? it could be locked up in spun bearings , so replacing the belt may do more damage than good

Yes gear spins freely and after inspecting everything all is good with no damage. :thumb: In the process of cleaning and replacing everything. She'll be on crutches for a few more days but it will be worth it once finished. Apparently the front bs shaft can spin freely off of timing without causing damage. Just glad the belt didn't snap and make my timing jump.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back