The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

No start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseTurbo

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Northwest, New_Jersey
ok i searched for the answer to my problem with no luck so thanks if you can help me.
After installing a new harmonic balancer and trying to start it after 2 weeks of cold it dosent
start. The engine turns and i get the spark , battery works for sure i even tried swapping my fathers battery. My mods are: BOV , UICP,Injen intake and that is all. now i can not get it to start, i wasent playing with anything else beside the belts and the HB . Thanks in advance!

When you installed the HB, you didn't by chance turn the crank any significant amount in the wrong driection did you?

How much fuel is in your tank?....too little and the very cold might = frozen

I have 1/8 of fuel . i tought it freezes at a lower temperature, but i dont know.
Maybe i should go and buy some gas . When installing the HB i turned it 6 times to the left -That is the direction in which the engine runs isn't it. I will check for fuel .

98EclipseTurbo said:
I have 1/8 of fuel . i tought it freezes at a lower temperature, but i dont know.
Maybe i should go and buy some gas . When installing the HB i turned it 6 times to the left -That is the direction in which the engine runs isn't it. I will check for fuel .

If left means counter clock wise then no, it should be clock wise.

Well turning it to the left looking from the drivers wheel is the wrong way...in order to fix it you have to realign ur timing marks....u made it skip...so just re align ur timing belt, cams, and bs.

Already read the vfaq on that , thank you on your reply i tought about timing but didnt know that is a way to mess it up .

Yeah you should have used a small impact gun to remove the 4 bolts holding the pulley on to the crank. This way you would have never turned the engine. Then when you torqued on the bolts you could have used a 1/2 on the crank to keep it from turning.

Just because you've turned it the wrong way doesn't mean you've done damage. I would check things out before you jump into any conclusions.

harmonic balancer won't cause a no start, after setting my timing belt and spin the motor by hand, i double check to make sure everything is in balance by starting the car with the crank gear tightened down and everything else still off to make sure the oil pump and balanceing shaft were in phase, i only run it for about 15-30sec

I tried a socket wrench and thats what caoused it to spin, i felt resistance and than it got loosed again so yea i think i skipped a couple of teeth. Using electric wrench didnt work
and it was 1200 lbs of torque . So later i got a breaker bar 1/2 and a socket wrench pressed them together HARD and there they go. I will still continue on checking fuel
but it would be good maybe to check my timing . It will give me a chance to inspect if
the previous owner changed the balance shaft belt additonally . Another project ahead and more to learn. Thank you for all the replies

when you spin the crank by hand it will get hard (compression) then loose when the exhaust valves open up. Since you replaced the harmonic balancer, did you happen to knock the crank position sensor loose? Check that....and good luck.
If you've already done this.....my bad for wasting your time

I just researched the cas and it cant be it becaouse, i get spark and i do not register any cel code for it like i found out . I will pull the timing cover off too check things out as soon as i get 16 inches of snow off my car . Additionally i was looking for balance shaft eliinator kit on the way but not sure if i will do it, looks like a PITA.

bs eliminator kit is somewhat of a pain...you'll spend a good part of a day doin it...but it'll be aight...

do you have a 7 or 6 bolt in there...if you have a 7bolt you have a crank and cam position sensor....did you check both of 'em?

did you unplug the wires, are they plugged in in the correct order?

Are you getting fuel to the rail?

I'm just trying to throw things out for you to try, so don't be offended by some of the suggestions....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back