The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

No start, double checking my check list.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breezio69

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2012
SLC, Utah
So the other day I went out to my car and it didn't start. I have general idea of things I need to do check but at my apartment complex I can't work on my car, so I only have a small window of time over at my dads house and would like to be as thorough as possible in diagnosing/fixing this today.

Here is what it is doing:
Turn the key to run position, everything (accessories) works. The mpi relay kicks on, safc turns on, radio etc.

Turn the key to start position, everything clicks off as normal, mpi relay clicks. The starter makes a very loud click from the engine bay, but nothing more.

Turn the key back to off position, a few seconds later mpi relay kicks off like normal.

I have already done the following:
Multimetered the battery after shut down 12.42v, tested again 6 hours later 12.42v, tested the + power wire from battery 6" away from battery to my ground point on the firewall 12.42v.

The motor will start and run fine with a bump start, and WHILE ITS RUNNING I can click the key to start and the starter will buzz the flywheel, so it magically works then.

I plan on changing my battery connectors, running new ground to firewall, trying a jump wire from the starter to + on battery, run new ground from starter to chassis.

Is there anything I'm missing or should also check? The starter working after the car starts is what has me confused.

Also, all fuses are good, the clutch safety switch is already bypassed.

Thanks electrical gurus :thumb:

Is that the same as the jump wire I plan on doing from the + on battery to the + on the starter? I had that on my list but I don't know if that's the same thing you are talking about?

I read that and there is only one line pertaining to hearing a click at the starter, but no start or even turning over. All the other stuff, like I stated before, works.

I've already cleaned the battery and tested my wires/battery/grounds, there is a small fray at my ground from the battery to firewall and that's why I said I was already going to replace it today.

That diagnosis write up is geared more toward why a car won't start that is cranking, mine won't crank at all. But it will push start, and the starter will work when the car is already running, which is what's catching me off guard. If the starter was completely shot you'd think when I flicked the key to start while its running I wouldn't hear the starter zing the flywheel?

Welp, new battery terminals, ground from battery to firewall and all new fresh cut ground/power wires did the trick! In less than 60 minutes as well :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back