The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G No start CAS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlikethedrink

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2007
ABQ, New_Mexico
I have a freshly rebuilt 7 Bolt. The head it came with was cracked so I sourced another. The head came with complete with cams and AEM gears etc. After I dropped the engine in i noticed the CAM angle sensor was different. It has the 3 pin style. My stock harness on my 98 has the 4 pin. I made a jumper harness to go off the CRANK angle sensor I found online.
Before I hooked u the intake and charge pipes up I was able to start it (but not idle) on starting fluid. It was not getting fuel pressure at the time so I attributed that and the MAF not being hooked up to reason for no idle. I installed the charge pipes and serpentine belts radiator... it looks good. No dice.

I can get it to stumble not idle. I flushed the gas tank got fuel pressure (43psi on FPR).

Plugs get soaked and battery looses charge while I try combinations of tests. Tried various plug wire orders I’ve found using info I’ve found by searching.

Im starting wonder if I should swap in the stock cams to run the 4 pin CAS, but I’m worried that it wouldn’t run that way either.

Engine specs:
-7 bolt bottom fresh rebuild
-Fresh rebuilt head. Same casting #s as original so believe 7 bolt head. Cams are some I’ve found and lost the info on. I’ll try to dig it up. But they’re equivalent to Hks 264 profile.
-timed perfectly.
-new Crank angle sensor. Missing during rebuild
-wire jumped to middle Cam Angle from 98 Crank Angle sensor
-Checked grounds, fuses and relays
-Black box ECU ( previously “tuned” for this set up)

other mods (probably not relevant):
-16g
-fmic
-dp and exhaust
-660 injectors
-225 fuel pump
-Wideband/Oil/boost gauges

After I dropped the engine in i noticed the CAM angle sensor was different. It has the 3 pin style. My stock harness on my 98 has the 4 pin. I made a jumper harness to go off the CRANK angle sensor I found online.
So you're feeding the signal off pin 2 of the crank sensor to pin 2 on the cam sensor plug, correct?

Plugs get soaked and battery looses charge while I try combinations of tests. Tried various plug wire orders I’ve found using info I’ve found by searching.
The order should not change since you are not using any 95-96 components.

Im starting wonder if I should swap in the stock cams to run the 4 pin CAS, but I’m worried that it wouldn’t run that way either.

You could try just the sensor before swapping cams. Just plug it in and spin it. Use a stethoscope to check for the injectors firing and lay the spark plugs all on the valve cover so you can see them fire.

So you're feeding the signal off pin 2 of the crank sensor to pin 2 on the cam sensor plug, correct?

The order should not change since you are not using any 95-96 components.

You could try just the sensor before swapping cams. Just plug it in and spin it. Use a stethoscope to check for the injectors firing and lay the spark plugs all on the valve cover so you can see them fire.
yep - I’ll triple check tomorrow on the Crank side pin

I’ll swap the wires back to their original labeled config.

Will also try that tomorrow! Thanks for the input

On my 97 I have 3 wires for the cam sensor and 3 wires for the crank sensor. On the cas they are black, blue with red stripe, and red. On the crank they are black, blue with a white stripe and red. I swapped in a 1g cas and followed rre's instructions on how to wire it for the 97 and up dsm. Is this how u have it wired or?

Last edited:
Just noticed the 6bolt CAS looks adjustable. Can someone verify if this is still correct for this CAS?
Why dont you get the right female harness connector and connect it how it goes from factory. Your not using a 1g Cas. That's a 97 and up. They have their own power and ground. Not sure if that matters but I dont see it working with just a signal wire.

Mostly I made my own harness due to time and $. Seemed simple enough. Spark was verified via a spark tester light. Harness was cut, unfortunately, to make this work.
The harness is original to the car I believe which is a 98 (4 pin Cam & 3 pin Crank sensors) The different Cam angle sensor had me stumped.

where can I find the correct sensor plug to mate the pair. Possible the timing is 180* out?

That cam angle sensor is the original one on the 2gb dsms. The CAS your talking about is the one listed in your pic correct? That's a 3 pin CAS. It gets Power, Signal and Ground to work.

The 4 pin CAS is on stock 1g cars. It provides both the crank and cam sensors. You can use the 4 pin cam sensor on 2g's to provide both the cam and crank signal.

Can you post a pic of the CAS you had before this head?

I believe the issue may lie in how it's all wired up. Can you provide in detail, as if I was a 5 year old, how you have it wired now? Just to make sure we are in the same page. Because I do believe the 3 pin cas work different than the 4 pin on the 1g's( 90-94 dsm).

Just noticed the 6bolt CAS looks adjustable. Can someone verify if this is still correct for this CAS?

No that one is not adjustable. That is the original stock sensor for a 97 and up DSM. And the Crank sensor is down at the crank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe i missed it? Are you trying to eliminate crank sensor? That is the original Cam Angle Sensor for the 97+.

If I'm not mistaking that cam sensor requires the part of the sensor to be bolted into the cam. Possibly 180* out. I had the same problem trying to wire in my evo 3, couldn't figure it out. I ended up taking T- belt off and installing original crank sensor and pick up, with factory harness

I believe the issue may lie in how it's all wired up. Can you provide in detail, as if I was a 5 year old, how you have it wired now? Just to make sure we are in the same page. Because I do believe the 3 pin cas work different than the 4 pin on the 1g's( 90-94 dsm).

I can and want to rebuild the wiring to make this work properly. I'm seeing now that the crank sensor is basically disconnected.
shown in the diagram is exactly how its wired now, mimicking the Magnus 6 bolt in a 2 g harness ( because I thought I had a 6 bolt 3 pin Cam Angle Sensor).

Q: Can the factory 4 pin Cam Angle Sensor fit the Cams? Are they swappable? The 4 pin sensor bolts to the cam. the other style fits in. I have tried rotating the Cam Angle Sensor 180*

Regardless of anything else, if you're not supplying the sensor with power and ground it will not provide a signal.

How to I provide power to the sensor? As in 4 pin to 3 pin Cam Angle?

Attachments

• harness diagram.png
    harness diagram.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 87
From factory the Cam Angle Sensor has power, ground and the signal wire. The Crank Position Sensor also has power, ground, and signal. You need to take the wiring apart and find that sensor its own power and ground or remove that sensor altogether and install the 1g 4 pin CAS. It bolts right in. The cams should have a slot for the sensor to fit in.

She’s Alive!! The oil is so saturated with gas! I’m gonna change it out before I go any further

Honestly, from the beginning i should have made sure the sensors would plug in and taken my time to remove instead of search the web for the cut and splice solution

What did you end up doing?

I installed the cam angle sensor the car came with onto the head I purchased separately.

It runs and drives now! I was held up waiting on an axle to come in. I got it yesterday and installed it. Needs a base tune BAD. Idles fine but shows lean on the WB. Drove it around the block. Brakes feel spongy. I’ll be doing those here soon enough.
For now I’m going to focus on paint and body.

Attachments

• F77D38F4-79CC-4F26-ABC9-779A08820D87.jpeg
    F77D38F4-79CC-4F26-ABC9-779A08820D87.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Entering this thread late. 97up CAS also uses a crank sensor. 1g CAS doesn't. I saw you did not have a crank sensor but were using a 97 up CAS. Can't do that.

Entering this thread late. 97up CAS also uses a crank sensor. 1g CAS doesn't. I saw you did not have a crank sensor but were using a 97 up CAS. Can't do that.
Can, if you use a Kiggly trigger plate of course. But that means you basically have a crank sensor. Lol.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back