The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G No start after rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

importracr317

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2003
South Chicago S, Illinois
After a long rebuild, I can't get this thing to turn over. I've got power, I turn the key to start, I can hear the fuel pump running, but the starter doesn't budge, like I'm not getting power to it. All the connections were made correctly, per the electrical connections thread on this site.

I took the starter to Autozone yesterday to test it and it was fine - it spun freely.

All my fuses are good.

I'm stumped. Ideas?

Thanks guys.

There's a starter relay that is between the ignition and actual starter. There's also another "starter relay" if you have anti-theft.

WOW.. I did some snooping around and found the starter relay..

GOOD LUCK! :)

Attachments

• Alarm Relay.jpg
    Alarm Relay.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Starter Relay.jpg
    Starter Relay.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 180
Not too sure about the 2g but on the 1g its easy to get the cruise control and the starter harness backwards because they have the same connectors. or atleast they were on my 90. hope this helps...

Starter ground is connected to a bare metal spot on the firewall.

I checked all my electrical connections per this thread -

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/298047-2g-engine-bay-electrical-connections.html

I've just got no juice going to the signal wire on the solenoid. Because of this, I'm almost positive it's the starter relay. That, and the fact when I turn the key to START, I don't hear anything other than the fuel pump...no clicking from the relay, nothing.

Can anyone give me the P/N for the starter relay for a 95' AWD with an Automatic Trans? This forums has a number of threads listing the P/N for the M/Ts, but nothing for the Autos.

+ rep for whoever posts it :thumb:

Last edited:
Alright, I got a new relay, and now when I turn the key, I can hear the relay click, but the starter still won't turn. The starter tested fine, the relay is new, I know I've got the starter hooked up right (black/yellow to solenoid, + to post closest to firewall, fat black w/ yellow stripe ground to a transmission bolt), but the starter won't turn. I haven't had a chance to re-test the voltage at the solenoid yet since I replaced the relay, but I did get my battery tested.

I've got an Odessey P680 (220 cca), and the guy at Auto Zone showed me it was only making 10 volts "under load". That battery did turn the engine over prior to my rebuild, but I'm wondering if it's since gone bad. If it's only making 10 volts, that's not enough to even get the solenoid to engage the starter right? The starter and solenoid need at least 12 volts, correct?

Btw, that test was done after the battery was charged for awhile, so it might be time for a new battery...

Last edited:
Eureka!!! If you have a manual trannie, There's a switch there that tells the car if you have it in neutral. IF you have an auto you have a similar switch too. The pedals have blue rubber stoppers that break often. CHECK THIS because the car will not start (I'm going through this as I type, tomorrow's fix)

Good luck...

Quote from manual>>

If the ignition switch is turned to the "START" position when the clutch pedal is not depressed,
electricity flows to the starter relay (coil), the clutch pedal position switch, and to ground.
This causes the starter relay contacts to remain open, preventing starter motor operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
AWD AUTO

:hellyeah:

I know this is your thread... But I went through the same problem this week "everything is working but car won't start"

Your thread helped me figure out that the switch was the issue.. I'm confident that your problem is the same, since the symptoms are the same.

Thanx and good luck with yours.. :thumb:

Attachments

• Park_Neutral Switch.jpg
    Park_Neutral Switch.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Park_Neutral Switch 2.jpg
    Park_Neutral Switch 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 92
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back