The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

No Speedo, cable good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buryurfear14

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2009
hernando, Florida
Hey Everyone,

92 gsx 6bolt

Did some searching and didn’t come up with anything that could answer my question.

I bought my car with a “speedometer cable” problem. Drove it home and had some complications with the car and I took it off the road to build a more reliable DSM. Over a year later, I’m finally ready to go back together and as you can imagine, I’m anxious!

Here’s the issue. I had a buddy spin the gear at the end of the cable the other day and my speedo needle went up! With all the excitement when I bought the car, I didn’t even worry about the speedo cable at first because I was much more worried about other issues when I inspected it. Needless to say, I didn’t bother hooking it up on the drive home, it was disconnected. :ohdamn:

So there is a chance that when I put it all back together, I can hook up the cable and have my speedo/odo working. What if that’s not the case? I don’t know what drives that gear inside the trans. Is there something I should change while I have the trans out of the car just in case? Or is the gear on the cable the only thing that can really fail? I don’t have a manual because, honestly, with everything this community has to offer and the knowledge of a couple friends, there’s no need!

I appreciate the help everyone.

If your buddy literally picked up a speed sensor that was in the bay and attached to the car...stick it into the vacant hole in your trans and you're good to go.

If you first uninstalled it from the trans, then look at the gear on the speed sensor...if its kinda bowed (almost like an hourglass shape) then chances are the gears aren't catching anymore and it needs replaced.

Ok, seems as though I need to simplify this.

2g's do have a super sweet sensor, 1g's don't.

What I need to know, is what turns the CABLE. The cable is 100% good. I'm worried that I'm going to put the engine and trans back in, screw the cable on, and I'm not going to have a speeo/odo still.

So, what drives the cable and can it be changed in-car as opposed to "remove trans, disassemble, replace, reassemble, reinstall".

I appreciate the help from those that read and comprehended my post and offered help. If I get another "just screw it on" post I'll burn my pc and buy a manual. Lol

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back