1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

No Spark when Cranking (Autronic SMC & 500R CDI)

Posted by Two4 Stroke Her, Jan 2, 2011

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Two4 Stroke Her

Two4 Stroke Her Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2006
    Cliffside Park, New Jersey
    I am running an Autronic SMC and Autronic 500R CDI with Suzuki GSX-R Coils. 6-bolt motor with black top CAS and 95-96 CAS harness. When wired up correctly the CDI completely bypasses the stock igniter and coils

I have searched everywhere possible including the actual Autronic Forums, but most threads involve all the stock ignition components which dosen't apply to me. I have triple checked my wiring and everything is right.

When i turn the key to the on position all 4 coils spark, which i find really strange, but when cranking there is no spark.

My main question is does the factory wiring/ecu use any sensor other then the Cam Angle Sensor for spark trigger?

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

700  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. VTEC_THIS

VTEC_THIS Proven Member

Joined Jul 20, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    That's an odd problem. From the sound of it, only the CAS would control the spark timing on your car. You said you have a 6 bolt block so there shouldn't be a crankshaft position sensor and with a black top camshaft angle sensor that must mean you have a 1g head.

I wish I remembered how the Autronic setup was wired so I could help you. Have you tried asking Chuck about this yet? I would think that it's still somehow not wired correctly (for this setup) but beyond this I don't really know. I wish I could help more. :(

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. hks-gst

hks-gst Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2004
    Long Island, New York
    Did you try emailing Enzo of Enzo-racing, He is finishing up setting up my 500R/cbr setup as we speak. I'll see if I can get him to chime in when I stop by the shop Monday or Tuesday.

368  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  4. beachbum2185

beachbum2185 Proven Member

Joined Jul 10, 2008
    Panama City Bch, Florida
    gsx-r coils? i've never heard of someone using bike coils on a car. what are the advantages?

5. Two4 Stroke Her

Joined Sep 13, 2006
    Hey Keri I am pretty sure I have it wired right but I will call Chucky, thanks! :)

Giovani... If you could do me a favor and ask Enzo to get back to me when you see him this week... I have called texted and e mailed him

If you could even call me while you are there that would be awesome!

Thanks
    862-881-1792

700  0

manual · 2G DSM
  6. mschlanglv

mschlanglv Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2008
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Had this happen on a Haltech Mustang. Power for the ECU was accidentally sourced so that the ECU was powered when the key was on, but not when the key was turned to start. The motor would crank, but only try to fire as soon as you let off on the key. Have you checked power to all components while cranking?

596  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. Two4 Stroke Her

Joined Sep 13, 2006

haha its funny you say that, my buddy just suggested the same thing, i am going to double check tonight, i will let you know. I think that is the problem (I hope) i will let you know.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

700  0

manual · 2G DSM
  8. hks-gst

hks-gst Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2004
    Long Island, New York
    I talked to Enzo he said he said you guys talked yesterday. Let us know how it turns out.

368  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  9. Two4 Stroke Her

Joined Sep 13, 2006
    SHES ALIVE! Thanks guys for all your help!

It ended up being the ignition wire i was spliced into. It lost power during cranking, once i changed wires it started right up!

700  0

manual · 2G DSM
  10. VTEC_THIS

VTEC_THIS Proven Member

Joined Jul 20, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out and the car's running.

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM