The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G no spark, thinking about sending ECU to ECMLink

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90gsxProjectCruiser

Proven Member
Jun 22, 2014
Port Orchard, Washington
hey everyone,
so I've had my car for about a year now with no problems. a few weeks ago I jumped in it to do some maintenance and it wouldn't start. I checked for spark and I wasn't getting spark to any of the plugs. I checked the coil packs and they test good. I checked the ICM(ignition power transistor) and it was faulty, replaced it. still no spark. checked and fixed the ignition switch. got that to test good. MPI fuse has continuity along with the ignition fuse. during some probing I cant seem to get any voltage coming into the coil pack connector. also I am only seeing about 6v going to the CAS not the 12v the repair manual is calling for.
I was doing more digging and came across a thread that went into extreme detail on what relays help turn the ECU on, and what pins do what. while the whole thing was entirely over my head, it did say that if your ECU is getting powered on a couple things should happen, 1 the check engine light should come on and then go out after 5seconds, 2 the boost gauge should go up to 0lbs. neither are happening for me.
I pulled the ECU to look at it but I don't have a clue what to look for. so I am thinking of sending my ECU to ECMLink. they charge $30 to check its condition and if it needs repair the $30 goes towards the first hour. sounds pretty good to me. $90/hour shop rate. while its there I am also thinking of upgrading my ECU with the ECMLink chip installed so down the road I can use their software for tuning. I don't think my 90 GSX ECU in the EPROM type.
so if anyone has sent there equipment in to them id like to know how it went.
any help would be awesome because I don't know jack about electrical..
thank you!

Attachments

• 90\' ecu1.jpg
    90\' ecu1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 103
Does the CEL come on when you turn the key to the ON position but do not start it? If it comes on and stays on, something may be wrong with a sensor. If it comes on and goes off, everything checks out fine. If the CEL does not come on at all, the ECU is not powering up or it is dead.

Ok, I would check the power going into the ECU. Here is a pinout you can go by : http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/91-94DSMTURBOECUPINOUTS color coded evotistical.jpg

If you ground your meter's negative probe to the chassis of the vehicle and unhook your ECU completely from the harness and test the voltage at the appropriate pins, you should see battery voltage. If not, check fuses, battery connection and possibly broken wires.

If you do have power at all the proper pins, your ECU is more than likely bad and will either need to be repaired or replaced.

BTW, you do have an EEPROM ECU. In the picture, the bottom right IC chip labeled E742 is the EEPROM. It just needs to be socketed to be able to run ECMLink.

thank you for the BTW part. was wondering if that was. just read somewhere that 90 were excluded from EPROM
thank you for the pinout!!
so id be looking for 12v at pins 103, 102,107 and then probably 110/108 with the key in the On position?

ive had some time away from the car. but today I tried to check out the pinouts and got pretty confused. im sure im overthinking it. either way im not getting 12V. on all the power supply pins. (102,107) the only one im getting 12V from is either pin 103, or 108. 103 is the battery backup. and 108 is the ign. switch. the pinout I am referring to is the located above in this thread..
http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/90DSMTURBOECUPINOUTS color coded.jpg

im confused cuz at the top they show the plug ins at the top, but that's not how sit im my car. left to right, the longest on then the middle one, then the shortest one. that's how they look im my car. so im royally confused....im thinking that the illustration on that pinout is of the ecu. like if you were looking down at the ecu, not looking down at the wires that plug into it. I don't know but im really frustrated and cant think strait. (might be the 85+* days)

mostly im just venting. sorry for the b.s. im really close to just sending it to a shop cuz this is really far above me. true project cars don't belong in someone else's hands but I feel like im running in circles,
thanks to everyone who has helped me on this sorry for whinning

ok so I got it all figured out. the guys at ECMTuning are awesome! the MPI, or MFI circuit was faulty in my ecu. they were able to repair it and some capacitor leakage. they also hooked me up with a nice socket so I can run there tuning software later on. there prices were very fair and they're business is strait forward with no B.S. I would recommend their business.
..more to come :sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back