The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G no spark issue!!! tried everything!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo4banger4g63

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2018
lorain, Ohio
alright I need some serious help here on my 90 talon. I have searched on here and checked everything I can find. I have tried another ECU, cam sensor, MPI relay, ignition control module, replaced the old crane fireball ignition with a MSD. and still no luck, I have injector pulse, have checked the fusible links under the hood, CEL illuminates and goes out.I am lucky enough to have another 90 talon that I have used to confirm the parts were good. One thing I have noticed is I dont have the ignition switch 12 volts like It shows in the pics. any idea where this is powered from??
any help will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• pic2.jpeg
    pic2.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 223
  • pic.jpeg
    pic.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 291
no the cas is not plugged into the tps as for as I know!!! I have 12v 5v 5v and ground on the cas plug, the 12 volts I am missing is on the connector in the pics, it is a black with white tracer

Man, it's been so long since I have jacked with a 90. bit no, not always.
Trace that wire back into the car. Unless you have another page to that electrical diagram with a pin location for the the correct connector inside the car. Then see what it gets it's 12v from.

Unless you have another page to that electrical diagram with a pin location for the the correct connector inside the car. Then see what it gets it's 12v from.

Like this?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

thanks for the diagram, I will trace out that wire today, I have never messed with the ignition switch I assume it is just an assembly on the end of the key tumbler????

the ignition switch??? i think thats this one:

alright the plot thickens, I checked the ignition switch. everything rang out good. I then proceeded to hook my power probe circuit tracer up to the 12v switched wire in question to help me trace it out. immediately it rang out shorted. so I traced and traced and ended up above the fuse panel above the driver side kick panel under the steering wheel. it goes to this box/ computer in the pics. unplugged it and the short went away. I am at a total loss for words for what this thing is. any ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_6744.jpeg
    IMG_6744.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6745.jpeg
    IMG_6745.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 111
alright the plot thickens, I checked the ignition switch. everything rang out good. I then proceeded to hook my power probe circuit tracer up to the 12v switched wire in question to help me trace it out. immediately it rang out shorted. so I traced and traced and ended up above the fuse panel above the driver side kick panel under the steering wheel. it goes to this box/ computer in the pics. unplugged it and the short went away. I am at a total loss for words for what this thing is. any ideas??

Quick google search on the mfg part number shows that it is the cruise control ECU. So you probably don’t need it unless you want cruise control.

Thanks I didn’t even bother to search it cause I was getting frustrated. I guess I don’t understand why my switched 12v for my ignition would go there??? I tried giving my ignition straight 12 volts yesterday to see if it would do something. But nothing

Look at diagram 8-50 that you posted and trace the wires 3-BW and 3-LB. Because your cruise unit shares that wire the other systems on those wires were likely shorted as well.
Look where 3-BW touches 2-BW and runs to subsystems. Those subsystems seem to be related to spark. Your transistor pack and ignition coils are on 2-BW which shares 3-BW which was shorted by your cruise ecu.

Also in the top of that diagram you will see that 3-BW is connected to your on and st part of your ignition switch.

You could try taking out the multipurpose fuses (11, 12, and 18) on the 3-BW wire that would leave 2-BW attached to the switch but not the other systems below. See if you car starts that way? Might throw a CEL but at least you will know if the car starts?

People routinely delete cruise from these cars. I know that there is a throttle cable swap that needs to happen if you delete the cruise. I don’t know if people tend to leave the cruise ECU or rip it out after they do the cable swap and remove the solenoid. I would look for cruise delete threads, blogs, or faqs and see if any mention removing the Cruise ECU. I have no experience removing them so I can’t tell you what the repercussions for doing so are.

according to ASA
There is an updated part # for the CC ecu. MB649318
CC should be on all GSXs but only came on the loaded version of the GST
MNHFL4M - HIGH LINE(TURBO),5FM/T FED
MNHFL9M - HIGH LINE(TURBO),5FM/T CAL

Yeah now when you say no start like does it at least crank and maybe your not getting any fuel/spark? Or does it not do anything? Just like dsmspick I replaced my starter I wanna say last month and I forgot to hook up a wire or something and it didn’t even crank. See I doubt a cruise control ecu would be responsible for having anything to do with your car starting unless a knowledgeable member says it does. I know 1g dsms use a ufo style cas and these can easily be 180 degrees out or just non functioning and cause a no spark issue. I only say this because on our vehicles the cas controls spark and if your ecu sees your cas is bad you will get no spark or intermittent spark which is why when I first bought my dsm it would start then die right away until my friends scanner read bad camshaft position sensor a bad crank sensor will cause this as well and in 1g dsms the cam and crank sensor is one big round unit on the trans side of the head.

Last edited:
sorry I haven't gotten back. didn't receive any email alerts and it has been below zero so wasn't too motivated. ok I have my switched 12 volts now I was missing. still no spark, with the key on I have no reverse lights with the shifter in reverse I have my dome light but no map lights. I have the auto seat belts. checked the ignition switch again with sending power through it with my power probe. all were good should there be power at the ignition control module with he key on or only when it is triggered??? is this relay in the pic under the radio the anti theft relay??? anything else you can think of I should check. I did a nice build on this car some time ago. and when I was done had no spark. and lost interest when I couldn't figure it out I truly appreciated all of you trying to help me.

Attachments

• IMG_6759.jpeg
    IMG_6759.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_6760.jpeg
    IMG_6760.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 75
ok looks like I found the anti theft relay, fuse box driver side footwell. but I cant seem to get it out?? is there a trick??? also thought I might have read that it doesn't kill ignition??

Attachments

• IMG_6761.jpeg
    IMG_6761.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6762.jpeg
    IMG_6762.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back