The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G no reverse when warm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcarbajal4

10+ Year Contributor
May 23, 2011
Los Angeles, California
Alright so I read through a few threads and can't really pinpoint an answer so I thought I'd ask. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. I recently got my engine rebuilt(stock), with a new exedy oem replacement clutch, act streetlite, and some bolt ons. First thing I noticed was that clutch engagement was very low. Second thing I noticed was that going into reverse was impossible when the car was fully warm. In the initial cold start, I can back out of my driveway just fine. Reverse would just grind when fully warm. If I turned the car off, shifted into reverse, then turned it on, it would work fine, no reversing issue, pop out, etc.
I had used a non oem slave cylinder and I believe that was the issue for the low engagement because I replaced the rod with a longer one I had laying around and engagement rose to where the pedal feel should be. The reverse issue remains, however. Clutch has been bled many times but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm going to order a new oem slave, as well as some shifter cable bushings and shifter base bushings. I just spent a lot on this build and it is my daily so I am trying to go with the easier/cheaper fixes to prevent as much downtime as possible. Any suggestions/ideas as to what to check or replace? Any and all help is appreciated.

First of all, your clutch engagement point changed because you had a new clutch put in. When you have new clutch components installed, you have to adjust the clutch which involves turning the rod on the master cylinder in or out depending on what adjustment you need.

Second, the longer slave cylinder rod is only a crutch for some other problem and may actually cause more issues such as preloading the clutch and premature wear.

Assuming reverse worked fine before the clutch replacement, these two issues are likely your problem.

The clutch was adjusted after the install, because it would engage maybe 1/16th of an inch of the floor. It was practically undriveable. After the adjustment it was about 1/2" at most, but still wasn't enough. So you think the problem lies in the master/slave? Master is old(never changed it) and slave is as new as the engine but not oem. The rod on this slave seems to be shorter than the oem one.

Edit: Yes reverse worked fine before.

If the master isn't leaking and is an OEM unit, I wouldn't touch it.

I assumed you installed an extended slave rod (longer than OEM). If what you installed is about the same length as OEM, that shouldn't be the issue (and would only help).

What trans fluid are you using? The fluid will be thicker when the trans is cold so that's probably why it doesn't happen until the car warms up. It may be an issue with the fluid or perhaps the fluid level.

If it's a fluid issue, wouldn't it affect all gears? I'm using GM synchromesh. I've always used it and had good results.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back