1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

No reverse + grinding 1-4. Trans problem or shifter linkage?

Posted by femmeDSM, Jan 6, 2006

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Just got my car running last week, and am now in the process of diagnosing all the new problems that have come to light :rolleyes:

Most importantly, the car will not go into reverse AT ALL. Will (usually) shift into 1-5 fine, but not always. In fact, the only relatively consistent gear is 5th.

Here is what each gear is doing:

Reverse: When I try to shift into reverse, the shifter will go all the way back into the reverse position, but as soon as I let off the handle, it will just glide back into neutral, slowly. I have never been able to get it to click into gear, and have tried everything I can think of (shifting from 1st to reverse, 5th to reverse, starting in reverse, holding the shifter in place, etc.). It just won't go.

First gear will come and go as it pleases. I either need to slam it into gear with all my strengh, or put it in gear and slooooowly roll forward until it starts to grind, then it will go into gear smoothly. It's very annoying. Other times, it will shift just fine, although it always takes a bit more muscle to get it into gear than I am used to w/ other DSMs.

Second has a mind of its own, too. Whenever I lose first, I sometimes will just have to start it in second (like if I'm at a light, and have no time to baby it into 1st). The other day, though, second just decided to take a crap for 2-3 shifts, then came back like nothing had happened. The times it was missing, when I shifted into second, the shifter just slowly moved back into neutral, similar to what reverse does.

Third is usually okay. I have grinded it before, though (and I am a VERY good driver, and have never had ANY problems driving other 5spds, so it is not me, it's definitely the car). It will feel like it goes into gear, but when I let off the clutch, the car will bog, and when I give it gas it will slip, then grind. I have to push the shifter forward another 1/4 inch or so, then it will Click audibly and will be in gear.

Fourth is decent. Does the same thing as third sometimes, though (have to click it back into gear twice or it will grind)

Fifth is actually okay. I don't know why. It is my least-used gear, as I have been trying to keep my car off of main roads. I have used 5th maybe 4 or 5 times, and have never had a problem getting it to engage or stay put. :confused:

So basically...What are the chances that ...
    A) I have a stupid problem, like shifter linkage/bushings/etc.
    or
    B) I am looking at a transmission rebuild

???

By the way, in case you don't read my Vehicle Profile, the car has an ACT2600 clutch and flywheel installed (approx 10K miles). I bought the car with the clutch installed. I have NO IDEA if the transmission has ever been out of the car, but I do know that the engine (top and bottom) was rebuilt at or around the same time the clutch was installed. I have receipts for most of this, and trust the person that did the installs (not the person I bought the car from, who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw).

2. Old Mitsu Tech

Old Mitsu Tech DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 30, 2005
    Newburg, Missouri
    Does the transmission make growling or howling noises? Usually with bearings and such there's a noise associated. Usually the first to go is 4th gear as it's the one closest to the flywheel and the famous input bearing.

If you are grinding gears and hard going in with no noise associated, then I'd look at the clutch especially since it's an act 2600 and I see a tremendous amount of posts about them. I have a link somewhere and can post it for you if you like about the act 2600.

If you are constantly grinding, you will for sure cause some transmission damage as the synchronizers are not doing their job.

The clutch is a problem for sure if you cannot get it into first from a stand still with the engine running and it goes in ok with the engine off.

Let us know... Good Luck

femmeDSM likes this.
  3. v2ner

v2ner Awaiting Email Verification

Joined Feb 25, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    did this just happen overnight or were you driving and shifting and then the problem occurred? sounds like a busted shift fork to me.

femmeDSM likes this.
  4. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Thanks for the help :) Always glad to have you around when I have a new problem, LOL.

No, the trans does not make any noises that I've heard. I've (luckily, fingers crossed) never had a transmission go out on any of my cars, so I'm not very aware of what noises I should be listening for. But no growling or howling noises so far at least.

I went down to the car just now to test your theory -- sure enough, with the engine off, the car shifts smooth as butter. Still no Reverse though -- just glides back up into neutral. The clutch *feels* like a 2600 should. Good pressure, smooth travel, and a good consistent point of engagement.

I've been trying my best not to grind the gears -- I have been driving 5spd for as long as I've been driving, and would consider myself extremely skilled in the "art" of driving manual transmission cars (LOL). I mistakenly let a friend who is not used to driving standards take the car for a spin, and he couldn't even get it out of 1st before he gave up. haha. I don't even think it was out of the driveway. :toobad:

I would like to see that link on the ACT2600, though. I had a 2100 on my other DSM, and loved it. So the 2600 is different? Since it came installed in the car, it's hard to say with any certainty whether it was installed correctly or not -- even great mechanics can make mistakes, I guess.

So what would you recommend I do from here? Take it in to have a new clutch installed (ugh), or ..... ?

I've always stood by ACT, but would you recommend a different clutch? What would the odds be that my tranny is not screwed?

5. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Long story, kind of. I bought the car non-running as a project. The car had been sitting for almost a year. Turned out the guy I bought it from was....let's say....."slightly less than honest" about the condition of the car. That said....There is no telling how long this problem had been occuring, or what events led up to it. All I know is, it took me 2 solid months of working on the car to even get it in decent running condition (long story). Now that I can actually drive it, I've got this new problem to deal with. Haha. You know DSMs..... :rolleyes:

6. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    A short update...

I adjusted the shifter cables today (they were way off, the shifter arm was sitting sideways WTF ) and the problem seems to have gotten A LITTLE BETTER. I took the MAS off and had a friend shift through the gears as I looked down at the cables on the trans, and noticed a problem -- the end of a large hose clamp & group of wires was resting on top of the shifter cables, and was not allowing them to move freely. I zip-tied this out of the way, and the car will now shift into reverse without backing out into neutral. However, it will not GO in reverse, nor will the reverse lights come on (still). It will sometimes rock backwards a *tiny bit* in reverse, but it's barely noticeable. I even tried giving the car a 'nudge' while in reverse, to see if it would get the idea, but no luck.

I also slid the rubber boot back and inspected the actual shifter cables -- they appear to be brand new. A previous owner (not the person I bought the car from) knew what he was doing, so I wouldn't be surpsrised if they've been replaced. They actually looked like the upgraded ones. I'm not sure if I have a 90 or a 91+ shifter arm, as I didn't have another car to compare the size with, but it appears to be the smaller 91 shifter arm...

Took her out for a spin, and the gears shifted much more smoothly, though still not quite where I want them to be. 2nd is now my worst gear - it left me high and dry for about 5 minutes, then returned from its 'break' like nothing had happened.....

It's confusing.

Does any of this mean anything new? Just thought I would update :)

7. girlieracr4g63

girlieracr4g63 Awaiting Email Verification

Joined Nov 5, 2003
    Kure Beach, North Carolina
    Are you sure it doesnt have a 91 tranny in it? Does it have the 90 bracket on the tranny? Also Im not trying to sound mean when I say this this, but you keep saying how good of a driver you are. If so then you should know to NEVER try and force or slam a gear to go in. You will only cause MORE damage. Please dont take that the wrong way. However sometimes a simple fix can become more complex because of careless mistakes. Now with that being said. I hope its just a simple adjustment issue. Or a change of the bracket. If I remember correctly when the shift fork breaks it locks into one gear. I will see if I can get ya a pic.

Wendy

559  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.140 @ 114.220 · 1G DSM
  8. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas

I don't "keep saying what a good driver I am". I was merely pointing out that I know the difference between a problem w/ the car and a problem w/ the driver. If a car doesn't want go into gear at first, and the only way to get it into gear is to push a little harder on the shifter, then you've gotta do what you've gotta do -- I'm not going to push my car home in neutral for 5-10 miles because it's hard to get it into 2nd. :rolleyes:

To answer your question, though...As far as I know the tranny is the original from 1990. As I said, though, a lot of strange parts have been replaced by one of the previous owners, so I will have to take a closer look. I was told that the tranny was original to the car, though, when I asked the seller. But we all know that what some kid tells you when you buy a car is not always the most accurate information, haha. ;) I'm taking everything I've heard about the car w/ a grain of salt, at this point.

I'm with you, though -- in my experience, a broken shift fork means *no* shifting at all...But I'll entertain all ideas at this point.

9. girlieracr4g63

Joined Nov 5, 2003
    I truely wasnt trying to offend you. However I personally would rather pay a 100 bucks to have it towed than a grand or more for a tranny. Thats neither here nor there tho. But I do know sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. So no flame war. heh

Here are some pics. Notice on the 90 bracket the top bolts are slightly slanted compared to the 91 top bolts where they are straight across.

90 bracket left pic 91 right pic.

Attached Files:

559  0

femmeDSM likes this.
  10. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    It's cool. No worries :thumb: Us girls gotta stick together, eh? LOL

Thanks for these. I will take a closer look at my tranny when I get home tonight. This should be interesting...........

Having (thankfully) never had to do any tranny work on any of my cars, what would the major difference be between having a 90 vs a 91 trans? Are these commonly switched out for some reason? Are we hoping that she does have a 91, and not a 90, or the other way around?

Just curious........Transmissions are (obviously!) not my specialty, LOL.
    I appreciate the help :)

11. girlieracr4g63

Joined Nov 5, 2003
    Well the 90s have really weak syncro's and are just generally just weaker trannys period. :( However if you have any more questions feel freee to ask. I will help you in any way I can since I have a 90 bastard child LOL and a 91.

Wendy

559  0

12. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Cool thanks :) I'll take a look tonight, as I said, and will let you know what I find....