The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

NO power after 4k ahhhh

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilkoreanboy

Probationary Member
Apr 26, 2005
panama, Florida
ok my car is just about stock 91 talon tsi.... the problem is when i puch it the car accelerates fast then when it hits about 4k theres a sudden lose of power please help me .... i changed spark plugs not the problem shit makes me pissed how i cant have power.

Okay. What mods have you done to the car. You said it's just about stock. Your car losses power at about 4k. I'm assuming that you're under boost when you lose power so FIRST thing I would do is do a boost leak test. Is your BOV Vented to the atmosphere? If so, that needs to be fixed. It should recirculate. Secondly, if a boost leak test doesn't show you where any problems are. Does your turbo make any kind of screeching sound when you lose power? If so your turbo may be about dead. Take off the LICP and see if there is an oil build up. If the problem is not oil or turbo related (meaning the first two steps didn't fix or find anything) then run a compression test. Post back with what you find. Also, give a detail synopsis of what is happening exactly and under what conditions.

CorrupTTalon said:
first and easist thing is to check for booost leaks,

use the forum and search the topic as it has occurred many many times

follow these directions to do so:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

do you have any knock developing?
:thumb:

To the thread starter:
Please update your profile with all your vehicle info:
Year/make/model/mods/tuning device/etc

The more you give us in your profile the more help we can be.
Some people won't even help you unless you do this first(rules).

Thanks and Good luck

***edit***
Wow, you guys are quick.....now I'm 3 posts behind...hahahaha

ok i got a 91 tsi awd turbo eagle talon with 3 inch apexi exhaust. there is no probelms turbo is in great condition no bad sounds when power loses it just has no power at 4k it just starts to kreep to red line... not bolwing into atmosphere.... i think it has to do with my ignition my spark plus are new and gapped at the right size i tryed all these things but dont know WTF is wrong it might be my coils but i am trying to find out for sure before spending all theat money on one thing

my boost goes to 10 and stays there (not stock boost gauge)

lilkoreanboy;

I had similar symptoms that I tried to rectify with new plugs,wires and cas. After reaching my wits end I replaced my ecu and that solved my problem. Just something to consider.

Good luck.

cas (cam angle sensor). I bought the ecu socketed along with DSMlink from FFWD for approx. $800 but you can purchase the ecu seperately. If you take out the ecu you may be able to tell if the caps needs replacing. Here is a link on how to do this
http://www.tmo.com/howto/ecu1g/caps.htm

lilkoreanboy said:
ok i got a 91 tsi awd turbo eagle talon with 3 inch apexi exhaust. there is no probelms turbo is in great condition no bad sounds when power loses it just has no power at 4k it just starts to kreep to red line... not bolwing into atmosphere.... i think it has to do with my ignition my spark plus are new and gapped at the right size i tryed all these things but dont know WTF is wrong it might be my coils but i am trying to find out for sure before spending all theat money on one thing

my boost goes to 10 and stays there (not stock boost gauge)

You still haven't given me a number to which you gapped your plugs to. What is the "right size"? I need a number to make sure you aren't way off base. Once we know that is correct, then we move up the chain until the absolute last possibiliities which is the ECU.

^^^ Get him a number, then tell us if your wires were replaced with your plugs.

Replace the wires. I can't remember the gap off the top of my head. It's written down at home.

wires aint the problem cause i bowrowwed some of my friends same year and stuff this is starting to piss me off.

Patience. We'll get to the bottom of this.

What doesn't make sense is you're running constant 10 psi and at 4k you lose power. That alone sounds like you're losing air from somewhere. I know you said you did a boost leak test. I urge you to double check.

Also, your gap is off. 28-31

Ok... well my book says i need a 34 gap also they were pre gapped at 34 when i got the plugs. When i did the boost leak test i found that some of my emetion vacumes were off i put them back on then i ran it it was fine then i punched it again and it went back to the same problem.

My info might be incorrect. I'll verify and get back to you. Check your vaccume's. If you punched it and blew them off again then you might have a hole somewhere.

I have a very similar problem with my car as well. I have had a bunch of posts about it i still have not found an answer, basically after exactly about 4000 i lose all power and the boost is at a steady 14psi but I just do not go anywhere and it very slowly climbs. I have heard sooo many things it could be, clogged cat, pulled timing, etc etc etc. So i think its just narrowing down the possibilities. I have adjusted my air/fuel both ways with no luck and replaced my plugs twice. Then I redid my boost leak test and found out I am leaking out of my throttle body. I put a new gasket in it but still no luck and I am still leaking. So i will try to fix that today with some sealant and tell you how it goes if it helped me or not.

Go with a smaller plug gap. Any time your air flow is higher than stock, you need a smaller gap, otherwise you blow the spark out. With your 3" exhaust, there is more air flowing through, so the "right size gap" is not the right size anymore.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back